Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 19:08   #31

Re: New to me Columbia 34 Mk 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
that 35 lb CQR will be on chain, and its my friend Charlie Wood who is a training bar pilot will watch it for me.
WADR, most of my friends with our C34s, about the same size as your new to you boat, have 35# NEW GEN anchors.

At the risk of turning this into an anchor wars topic, NOT intended, anchoring in Richardson Bay during the winter will require you to get a much better and/or heavier anchor. OK, so you'll have chain on the anchor, of course, but that's NOT the issue.

The issue is holding power of the anchor, in what, during the winter, COULD be SUSTAINED winds from the south over 35 kts for a MILD winter storm. Last year we had a doozy with sustained winds over 70 for many hours.

But heck, your boat, your choice. I just don't think it's the right choice. I urge you to give this a lot more thought.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 19:13   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon

Jim, yes you are right about all of this. Once again in Feb I am looking at "EVERYTHING".

Including measuring and taking pictures of the new full battened mainsail that needs battens (fortunately I do work for RBS battens in Hood River so he is going to hook me up). I also have already contacted a couple of divers to scrub the bottom; probably wait and get it scrubbed just before I take it up the coast.

I realize how long it can take. Will be watching the weather closely. I sure hope we get to sail a bit, motoring the whole way would suck, but one should always have fuel to motor the entire trip .....

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mack, one final (?) comment: Upon re reading some posts, I'm left with the impression that you expect to motor the entire distance. That's a hell of a long motor trip against the current and apparent wind (often boisterous). I'd guess the C-34 to be doing well to make 3-4 knots over the bottom on that trip, less when the wind and sea are up a bit. That would be a very uncomfortable and very slow journey IMO as well as thrashing the hell out of the engine. There has been no talk of sailing, or of doing much to ensure that the sails are in good nick, the running rigging really runs, or that there are even heavy weather sails at all. Oh, and how long has it been since bottom paint? Even slight fouling will make those speed estimates drop even lower. I'd be considering having the hull cleaned, or better, lift her and spray her off, checking all the underwater stuff at the same time, or better still, giving her some new anti-fouling.

Still a bit worried about this plan...

Jim
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 23:08   #33

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don't think they made too many C34s with a centerboard, though there were some apparently. Some shoal draft and then I think most were the deeper fin keel. I hate to suggest it but if the boat has great needs it may cost you a lot to get the boat ready, so have you thought about getting a triple axle trailer for it and towing it up with a diesel pick-up? The boat weighs 12,000# so you may find a trailer for around $4000 to $5000. It's not too hard to modify a flatbed or powerboat trailer too. You could sell the trailer when you are done. It may cost less and be a little safer. Not as fun though. Just another thought for the mix. One you have probably already also considered...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 06:28   #34
Marine Service Provider

Oh yeah. That was my first idea is if I could borrow a trailer and my friends diesel truck to tow it up. There are three axle sailboat trailers around here, but just didn't have the load capability. I did a uship bid and checked into shipping services. Cheapest I was finding was about $3800 to go that route.

Keep in mind I am a numbers guy.

I was already going down to St. Francis to get my regional certification. Have spent $150 on air fair and the $125 for the registration of the certification at St. Francis. By doing the shakedown on the boat I get to stay on her and so I was able to avoid having to worry about were to sleep.

If I find she is not capable, or there is any questions of her making up the coast, I will probably buy a power boat 3 axle trailer and modify it then go get it.

Once again its a numbers game. There might be a good chance she is good to make up the coast ....... one never knows till you check it out. The plan to deliver can always be canceled, there is no downfall to putting on trailer except cost.

You have to realize I have been unemployed a lot the last few years. This plays into also, just last week got hired so know later this spring I very well could do a trailer and tow it up because I have the means and the resources to do it. My first hope is that I can deliver her up, because the cost goes way down. I have lots of time.

BTW I should comment that I am borrowing a nice 8 man life raft from the J-122 that I race on as well as the ditch bag.

Tell you what it is great to see all the interest and people commenting bringing this thread to 3 pages. Going to bring the go-pro, and Olympus camera and take lots of pictures and video so there will be a nice right up on go-sail.org.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I don't think they made too many C34s with a centerboard, though there were some apparently. Some shoal draft and then I think most were the deeper fin keel. I hate to suggest it but if the boat has great needs it may cost you a lot to get the boat ready, so have you thought about getting a triple axle trailer for it and towing it up with a diesel pick-up? The boat weighs 12,000# so you may find a trailer for around $4000 to $5000. It's not too hard to modify a flatbed or powerboat trailer too. You could sell the trailer when you are done. It may cost less and be a little safer. Not as fun though. Just another thought for the mix. One you have probably already also considered...
Old 29-01-2015, 10:13   #35
Marine Service Provider

So I shied away from the 35 lb CQR and found a used Guardian G-23 at Columbia Marine exchange. This will be a useful anchor for this boat long term, and eventually will be a Rocna 20 for the bow.

When I fly down going to bring an extra 20 feet of chain, and a heavy weight. There is 30 feet of chain on the boat right now, so will just remove the existing anchor, put the new length on the end of it with this weight. Then put the guardian on the end of the chain.

Will just keep an eye on the weather and in contact with my buddy who will keep an eye on her.

Sound like I am getting the nobeltec nav software in this deal to
Old 11-02-2015, 20:52   #36
Marine Service Provider

The planning continues. Finally got a nice raymarine ST4000 off ebay, also a radar reflector, and a 35 lb shackle that will be extra weight I put on the chain when anchoring.

Flying down in one week. Will take the train over to Walnut Creek, were the owner will pick me up and take me to the boat in Antioch. There I will pay the $180 moorage due, and hire a diver to clean the bottom. Imagine that the owner will spend and hour or so talking about the boat/systems.

Then the work starts. Go to the hardware store and get chain. Install the auto pilot, change the oil and filter, install the radar reflector, hook up the windlass for anchoring, and hopefully get to the top of the mast to check fittings, blocks, etc, replace mast head light with led. Then check all the through hull fittings and steering mechanism. Hopefully get out of there just after it gets dark and catch the last part of the ebb. Go as far as I can then spend the night somewhere.

Wake up really early on Thursday and try to get over to St. Francis before it gets dark. Friday is the US Sailing Regional Symposium, then sat/sun is the US sailing regional PRO class that I am taking. In between all the US sailing stuff I need to pull the new main out and measure up all the batten pockets so my buddy Romeo out in Hood River can get me some battens.

Getting excited ...... I also found out that this deal comes with a seat of nobel tech software so will try and get that running on my laptop.

The plan is coming together. Also had a great meeting with Youth Transitions, about taking groups of kids sailing on the Columbia River. Any my Vancouver Lake Sailing Club is really super interested in what I am doing and they are thinking about supporting me.
Old 23-02-2015, 21:21   #37
Marine Service Provider

Just got back. For the life of me I don't know why this guy didn't sell this boat. It is in good shape. Diesel ran fine, consumed half a tank and it ran with out a hiccup in choppy ebbing san fran bay conditions. There were some wasps in the main but they shook out. The head sails are in pretty good shape to. The windlass motor needs to be rebuilt, toilet replaced, and the AC/DC fridge needs some work. Stove works great though and the standing rigging and blocks are all good including spinnaker gear.

Had the boat dove and the anode on skeg was gone, so had it replaced.

This morning I delivered from St. Francis to Richmond Yacht Club. It was a full on ebb with 20 to 25 north breeze. Took a while to get across to angel island, once in the lee I rigged up the #3. Snaked we way up into raccoon straight, and then hoisted the sail. Did a beat with the diesel running making 6.5 knots that got me through that nasty ebb coming out of Pablo bay and over to Richmond.

Boat is safe and power plugged in over at Richmond. Just going to start watching the weather and may just do a surprise trip down and start delivering the boat up the coast. I really just want to get it up here after staying on it for 5 days. It's going to be a fun boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2190015.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	97813   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230006.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	97814  

Name:	P2230007.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	97815   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2230008.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	97816  

Name:	P2230010.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	97817  
Attached Files
Old 23-02-2015, 22:44   #38

Sounds promising. Going in the spring, hmm.. Watch the long term weather. Do you have some good crew? Thought about a Watchmate 850, an AIS transceiver? $850 on Amazon and could be REALLY handy. Sounds like fun!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 23-02-2015, 22:48   #39

Is it the shoal drafted or deep keel? By the way, I don't think these boats had skegs. Did you mean keel or rudder? And I believe that is a cast iron keel.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 07-03-2015, 10:48   #40
Marine Service Provider

Found a trailer for $1000 bucks to try and get this Columbia 34 up here to Portland, OR.

I think it will work .......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	98439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	98440  

Name:	IMG_0185.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	98441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0186.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	98442  

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	98443  
Old 07-03-2015, 12:23   #41

If that trailer works out and is in good shape I'll buy it from you when you're done!(If you no longer want it, but you may find it is really handy to keep the boat onit for a while.) I have been looking for one too. It should have electric brakes all around, for safety. Those are 5000 lb axles, right?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 07-03-2015, 12:36   #42
Marine Service Provider

Not sure if I will sell it or keep it. Might be good for doing deliveries which I am getting into with my captains license. It has hydraulic brakes with a surge neck. The previous boat that was on this weighed 14,000 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
If that trailer works out and is in good shape I'll buy it from you when you're done!(If you no longer want it, but you may find it is really handy to keep the boat onit for a while.) I have been looking for one too. It should have electric brakes all around, for safety. Those are 5000 lb axles, right?
Old 29-04-2015, 06:11   #43
Marine Service Provider

Well just happened to be a year that coming up the coast on a 34 footer is not feasible.

Just bought a two axle trailer and its in the process of being extended 4 feet and adding another 6k lb axle.

In about two weeks heading down the I-5, de-commisioning, putting on trailer, and getting it up here to PDX.

Good news in I found a place that will launch it for free, and a place to put it for free.

This will give me a chance to knock all the barnacles off, get fresh bottom paint on it, and fix all the lights in the mast, and add an external halyard.
Old 05-05-2015, 18:43   #44
Marine Service Provider

Trailer is coming along. I gentlemen here in Portland, OR gave me a $600 contribution to get a trailer to bring Ubuntu up. He is know doing all the welding modifications to the trailer. He will use this trailer later this summer to work on his Buchan 37.

Just dropped off my third axle with springs, good tires, and electric brakes.

He has extended the back by about 4 feet and moved the back uprights. Also we have added two center uprights, and modified all six to accept screw jack pads that I borrowed from my friend Steve Rander over at Schooner creek boatworks.

Hoping on Sunday to take off to San Francisco and get the boat on the trailer Monday. I will post a bunch of pictures soon.

After this is all done we will be able to carry upwards of 16,000 lbs of boat.
Old 07-05-2015, 16:39   #45
Marine Service Provider

Now that is a trailer | Go-Sail.org

Turned out super nice

Tags
columbia