Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 09:36   #1

new C-27 owner- new to forum

I bought my C-27 not even a year ago. I have it in a wet slip on an inland lake.
I owned a C-25 for several years before this one so I am somewhat familiar with the in and outs of the vessel. But I have a few questions.

First one - the main has a traveler across the top of the cabin. right now it is set up to sheet in via a winch on top of the cabin. I want to run the main sheet aft so that I can sheet in the main and cleat the main while at the helm. does anyone have some suggestions or pictures how to make to happen efficiently and cleanly?

Thanks
T8
C-27
T8beckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 23:47   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: new C-27 owner- new to forum

Welcome aboard T8. I found this image of a possible remedy, it looks like it might fit the bill for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2020-04-07 at 11.48.22 PM.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	212283  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 02:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, T8.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Welcome aboard T8. I found this image of a possible remedy, it looks like it might fit the bill for you.

Thanks Don- This is perfect.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:49   #5

Next question is about lowering my mast. I need to check the mast head, add a wind vane and install a roller furler. My plan is to put her on the trailer submerged at the dock for stability. Then I will bring a C-25 behind her and use one of the C-25 halyards to lasso my mast just above the spreaders. I want to use two of my halyards coming down from the head below my spreaders to my starboard and port winches. My mast lays forward. I will have three people lowering the mast all at once and I will be on the launching ramp with a mast crutch to catch the mast.
My concern is the load of the mast on the spreaders? Bringing my halyards down in front of the spreaders to the winches. Will this be too much pressure on the spreaders?
Old 08-04-2020, 10:29   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I think you are better off going to a local fish hoist or the crane they sometimes have on Travel-lifts where boats are hauled out. I think you'll find whatever the charge it will be worth it. Some marinas have hoists for small racing boats that are free or very low cost. As far as lassoing, I'd say lasso below your mast's spreaders and have that lasso attached to lines going down to the winches so there is no strain on the spreaders. If you have the spreader bases I am thinking of, they can probably handle the masts weight ok, but why chance it? I lowered mine that way a while back and it went quickly, easily and safely with just me, a friend and the hoist operator.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:42   #7

Boat: Carver 356

First of all, this is a wonderful forum and glad you are here.
Secondly, pretty sure there is a C27 owners forum you might want to check out as well.
I used to have a C34 and the help I got on the C34 owners forum was great. A fantastic bunch of very knowledgeable C34 owners and you could get an answer for just about any question or issue you had.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum