Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 21:26   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
MPG to Motor Cal 27?

I'm thinking about buying a Cal 27, but its located about 400 miles by river from where I need it. It's 300 miles by road. It doesn't come with a trailer, and since I'm working full time right now I don't have the time to get it here by water. I'm wondering if I should hire someone to transport it here for me, or pay my friend (not a sailor, but experienced around powerboats) to motor it here with a 7hp outboard, haha.

The other option is to try and rent a trailer, but then I'd still need to rent a 3/4 ton pickup...

Any ideas here?
redpointist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:44   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: MPG to motor Cal 27?

A 7 HP motor will burn about 1/2-2/3 gph if it's 2-stroke. Maybe 1/3 gph if 4-stroke. Assume 5+ knots average speed. Do the math.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 21:47   #3

Boat: Pearson, 28-1

My inclination would be to have the boat shipped by a licensed/insured shipper. It may be more expensive but it would be a short/quick shipment and the boat shouldn't be too much worse for the wear.

A 400 mile cruise with a potentially under-experienced captain is not what I'd prescribe for any boat that I had just purchased. Plenty or opportunity for wear and tear on a stretch of water that long.

If the water is easy and you have good confidence in your friend then you may want to get the costs for shipping and estimate fuel costs so that you can make an informed decision. Fuel costs for the boat will depend on the type of motor, cruising speed, current, etc. but with more information I bet folks can chime in on what to expect.

Hope you get the cal to your home-port with minimal fuss and expense,

Jonathan
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 22:07   #4

So I guess it'd be about $150 in fuel plus a week and a half journey for my friend, haha. I'll call around and see if I can get a cost for professional delivery by trailer.

I'm not too worried about wear on the boat, it would be my first sailboat so I'm not investing much in it. It seems like a really good deal though, so even if I spent $500 to get it here it'd still be well worthwhile.

Thanks for the information!
Old 12-04-2011, 22:14   #5

Oh also, would you really recommend a professional boat survey if the boat is only $1500-$2000? It's floating on the water so obviously it's not in too bad of shape :P.
Old 13-04-2011, 07:55   #6

Boat: 1982 Catalina 25 Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpointist View Post
Oh also, would you really recommend a professional boat survey if the boat is only $1500-$2000? It's floating on the water so obviously it's not in too bad of shape :P.
Well, not knowing ANYTHING about it...year, condition, etc....an average CAL27, middle of the road year model, in good shape, should be worth $10 to $12k....so if it's only $1500 there MUST be a reason why. It just might need $8500 worth of work (or more) to bring it up to par.
1982 Catalina 25, #2897; SR/FK/Traditional; Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas.
JoeDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 08:00   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I have a CAL28, with a 2QM15.... Burns 1.5 gallons an hour at 5.5kts! Burns 0.5 GHP at 3Kts!
Old 13-04-2011, 08:09   #8
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

the 28 (6000) is a bit heavier a boat than the 27(5400) so you should do a bit better in your 27.

Our 28 does around 5kts at a gallon an hour with a johnston sailmaster 6.5hp

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 08:17   #9

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

If you go with your pal, it would be 400 miles / 5mph = 80 hours of 24 hours a day, with watches + 20 hours for stops at every riverside restaurant = 4 days and could = a memorable initiation. Years ago I sailed an 18' boat from Washington DC to Annapolis with a friend; plenty of snacks, crabhouse stops, and fireworks for extra entertainment. Mostly sailing, it took four or five days and remains a highlight. Which river are you on? Going upstream or down? Are you up for whatever, or sensible?
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 09:33   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I don't think you'll find many Cal 2-27s in the $10,000 range, as was previously stated. As a matter of fact, you should be able to buy one in turn-key condition for half that. However, it's a pretty safe bet that if a Cal 2-27 is going for $1,500, it hasn't been paid a lot of attention in the past decade.

Your chances of getting a boat in near-derelict condition 400 miles on its first outing are somewhere between slim and none.
Old 13-04-2011, 10:07   #11

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

Check the bulkheads for rot. It's just a couple hundred dollars in marine ply to replace them all, but if they're rotten and you hoist the sails (if it comes with sails), it might rip out your chainplates.

I got my Starwind 27 for only $1,000 but I had to replace all bulkheads, cabinets, running rigging, and the diesel.

I agree, there's probably no way it can make it 400 miles without some work.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 11:54   #12

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Oh, I don't want to be capt. casual about this, but it's also been a lot of decades since I was 25, and I'm a lot less what-the-hell than I was. Here's what we're looking at. Boat was bought as is. It was cheap, but we're not told that it's a derelict. Presumably it's in the water, and water is not coming through the hull. Presumably the outboard seems to work OK, is tied on, and the rudder is attached. It's going down a river, not across the Gulf of Mexico or Gulf of Maine. There's no old diesel one-lunger shaking the rivets. There should be no stress on the rigging, other than the wake from a passing tug and barge. The running lights should work. There should be a good anchor and the cleats should be firmly attached. A dinghy would be best. Given the time, some beer and bread, a credit card, cell phone, a willingness to hitchhike if necessary, copies of "Huck Finn," "Voyage of the Rob Roy," and "The Boy, The Cat, and Me," and for luck, charts, rules of the road, and a cheat sheet on tug-and-barge running lights – who wouldn't at least consider the voyage?

This is not advice, and the poster takes no responsibility whatsoever for any the consequences as a result of reading this post.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:09   #13
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

my own experience informs me that the electrical is going to be the issue... Lights and battery system are most likely to be a problem...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:22   #14

Boat: Beneteau/343

400 miles up river or down river? If you are down river from the boat's current location, then there will be a lot less wear and tear on the engine and far less fuel consumption.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 13:24   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: MPG to Motor Cal 27?

Your talking 80 straight hours of motoring with an OB, hoping it holds up the whole way. In daylight hours we're talking a week.

I'd truck it. Trucks/trailers are rentable. You would have to drop the mast either way unless all the bridges are tall (have you checked).

Tags
cal, motor