Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2010, 20:13   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Morgan 32, Bayfield 32, Alberg 30

I'm looking for something that will be a liveaboard and want to outfit it for blue water and circumnavigate. I plan to buy the boat and gear up accordingly. I have three boats I really like that seem very well priced and while I would definitely get surveys done for the boat, mechanicals, and riggings, and realize I need more tankage and some mods, I am more concerned about opinions on these boats in particular.

1981 Morgan 321 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1977 Bayfield 32 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'm thinking of jumping on a plane ASAP to see both bayfields. This last one has been redone but has no navigation or cruising gear and will take a lot of $$$ to outfit, and I hate the yellow, but the price is decent too. Talked to the owner and the cash price is decent. Would want to get it off the great lakes and sail it to the ocean and south for the winter if I bought it before freezeup. I guess I could follow the coast and gear it up for cruising in the US like Florida or?? Would it be reasonable to try and get this boat to FT. Lauderdale by xmas if I left in late October?

My Boat for Sale - Blue water cruising sailboat for sale in Ontario, Canada

I realize I'm taking a chance by exposing these boats, but....
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 20:17   #2

Boat: Allures 44
A think at least two of these were recently reviewed in Practical Sailor. You can search for the articles on their website.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 20:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to SS Little-Devil
Yeah I'm more concerned about the specs of each particular boat, like tankage, riggings, electronics, etc. Like, what they have vs. what they need and how much I should expect to spend to make each liveable and cruisable. More of a value for dollar thing. I think all three models are worthy if sound, but each boat has specs and mods, pluses and minuses, and I could use some help coming to reality with those. For instance, I will need heat. I will need a watermaker, The yellow bayfield has no electroncis to speak of, but I have no idea how much it will cost (ballpark) or what I need to get vs. the others, assuming the others have electronics that are decent in the first place. I have no idea which autopilots are better than others, etc. and obviously the yellow bayfield doesn't have one. IOW, if you were choosing between these three pictured and also were soncidering an older Alberg (which is likely less money), which way would you go? I will be cruising alone for the most part but may have one or two crew at various times.
SS Little-Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 14:09   #4

I have a comparable Bayfield 32 coming up for sale in Rhode Island, somewhat lower price. Also no sales tax if you leave it RI for 6 months. Mint condition - let me know if you are interested in learning more.

Relative to your question, the Morgan is a bigger boat than the Bayfield 32 but probably not quite as well built. Bayfield is shallow draft which can be a plus or minus depending on your proposed use - good if you are going south to the Caribbean.
Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30, morgan