Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2023, 14:10   #1

Boat: Island Packet 380
Mast Climbing Rigs - Recommendations?

Any thoughts on the ATN Mast Climber set up? I used to do some climbing and feel pretty comfortable in a harness rather than a chair.

What is everyone using? This is all new to me.'

TIA
pushstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 14:23   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Mast Climbing Rigs - Recommendations?

I had aluminum mast steps on my first boat. All the way to the masthead
Loved them.
No harness required.

Next two boats, I used a basic chair....ie, a wood plank.
This is not such a bad thing, but does require someone on the winch....to get you up...and back down.

Fortunately, going up the mast is not an every day thing.

The ATN setup will require some muscle power.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 14:39   #3

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Being a rock climber, I use my ascenders to get up, then sit in my bosun's chair. I find the chair to be more comfortable, and it has lots of pockets. I ascend on one line, but slide a choker safety line up and down the mast as I go. I have freestanding masts so no spreaders to work around, but I do have to get around the radar on the mizzen, I rig a second choker to do that.
If the line I'm ascending on fails, I can use the two chokers to (very slowly) descend. Although, in point of fact, there is always a second line on both my masts that I could switch my ascenders to, to get down. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210810_130438.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	270280
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 14:53   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've used the ATN climber for over a decade now to climb my various masts. Works fine, and allows you to do it solo (not that I like to do so).

I'm not a climber, but I think it really is just an ascender with a comfy bosuns chair built in. It makes work aloft pretty comfortable.

Climbing is not that hard since you're mostly using your legs to lift yourself up, one step at a time. It's not unlike climbing stairs. Coming down requires a bit more finesse because you have to accurately gauge each step, but it's still pretty easy.
Old 19-01-2023, 14:59   #5

Boat: Grampian 30

I use a webbing ladder hauled up on a halyard, with a Petzl ASAP following along on a second halyard attached to my harness.

When I reach the height I need I just clip into a rung of the ladder and sit to work. If I need to work at the top for an extended period I'll put a roundsling over top of the masthead and stand in it like stirrups to take the strain from sitting.
One think I might look to change is having one side of the ladder attached to the mast via sail slides. Currently it is free hanging. Tensioning it well helps to keep it stable but I think having one side fixed might make it easier.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 15:15   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

I am very close to purchasing some arborist's climbing gear. Tree climbing, like mast climbing, depends on the use of ascenders, and involves longer periods of time suspended from ropes. The arborists' gear involves the use of saddles that are still compact but are more comfortable than a rock climbing harness. I'm looking at building a rig around an Akimbo hybrid friction device and a couple of ascenders. There are people who can climb with just a couple of prusiks but I'm not them.

Take a look at Baileysonline.com and some of the other arborist sites for ideas.
Old 19-01-2023, 15:19   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

I'm using this webbing ladder I purchased from 4yachts in Poland for $136.

It works great but is a bit of a workout for those of us over 65.

I've been up 4 times so far and my main concern when going up is my 20 year old rigging.

No harness or chair is required.

Soon I may unhook my backstay when I'm up there so I can replace it

https://4yachts.eu/shop/mast-ladders/mast-ladder-mastl/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 15:30   #8

There was a brand new SWitec mast lift ( like a rope operated chainblock) on my boat when I bought it, nice looking gadget but my mast is light and I have no need or desire to go aloft ......but it worked great to lift out my MD2030 from the engine room.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 16:01   #9

Boat: Dufour 29

I have a webbing ladder for emergencies, but the only time I needed to use it was not happy with the experience. OK, I am in upper 70s, but the actual climbing ws not a challenge. I was not able to get it well tensioned and climbing ends up with you hanging off the ladder at an angle unless it is really pulled tight. If I thought I would be repeating that much, I would definitely get something at least anchored by the sail track.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 17:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

This is an interesting thread.

Back in the day...my 20's...I could shimmy up a mast with bare hands and feet...

Alas....these days...while the spirit is willing...the flesh is weak (and much heavier) ....my modi operando now is to find some youngster willing to be hauled up the mast to do the dirty work...
Old 19-01-2023, 18:04   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

The thing I like about the ATN system is that allows for solo climbing. Plus, it uses a standard bosun's chair, which is very comfortable to sit and work in. I can be up there for hours if need be.

You can also just use it as a standard bosun's chair, and have someone crank you up in it.
Old 20-01-2023, 03:04   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioche View Post
I have a webbing ladder for emergencies, but the only time I needed to use it was not happy with the experience. OK, I am in upper 70s, but the actual climbing ws not a challenge. I was not able to get it well tensioned and climbing ends up with you hanging off the ladder at an angle unless it is really pulled tight. If I thought I would be repeating that much, I would definitely get something at least anchored by the sail track.
Most webbing ladders come with the sail slugs/slides that hold it to the main sail track.

Strange yours didn't.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 04:53   #13
Marine Service Provider

I really wonder why mast steps are not more popular ??

I had them on my first boat. Never had any issues with them getting halyards tangled, etc.

Being so convenient, meant I could shimmy up whenever I wanted, even at sea.

For the world cruiser, one would think, almost a mandatory item...I used to climb up to the spreaders on numerous occasions for a better looksee thru' a pass, etc..

Just my 2c off course...but fixed permanent steps is worthy of a consideration...
Old 20-01-2023, 06:16   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brioche View Post

The ladder should be anchored to the mast at every step by a slug. It's in the instructions (and look at the picture in this link).

That said, I often climb without the slides, and it works fine if well tensioned, which it should be either way.

And don't forget the safety line, which he appears to have skipped.

Old 20-01-2023, 07:55   #15

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I really wonder why mast steps are not more popular ??

I had them on my first boat. Never had any issues with them getting halyards tangled, etc.

Being so convenient, meant I could shimmy up whenever I wanted, even at sea.

For the world cruiser, one would think, almost a mandatory item...I used to climb up to the spreaders on numerous occasions for a better looksee thru' a pass, etc..

Just my 2c off course...but fixed permanent steps is worthy of a consideration...

Weight aloft and windage, both serious considerations if you want the boat to sail well.

Tags
mast, men