Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2023, 09:12   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Mast Climbing Rigs - Recommendations?

Jammer, this is true, but I think of it in this context.

A mast is not a very efficient leading edge for a sail, due to it's shape and dimension, neither are the spreaders, all the rigging, halyards, etc.

The alum. steps I had were quite light, maybe 1 lb each....can't say I noticed any difference in my boat's performance, after I installed them.

Not to say, that there wasn't any, but I liked the convenience of having them.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 10:09   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Question: For those who use mast steps, and the webbing ladder, how do you stop and relax? How do you sit and work?

I assume you're using a hip strap around the mast, or something to secure you, but it appears that you're always going to be balanced on your feet, or more likely just one foot since the steps are staggered. This seems physically hard, and potentially unstable.

With a bosun's chair (including an ascender system) one can sit back without having to work to maintain oneself. If need be, it's easy to wrap feet or legs around the spars. The ladder systems appear to put a lot more physical demand on the climber, but I've only ever tried steps for fun, and never tried the webbing versions.
Old 20-01-2023, 10:44   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Question: For those who use mast steps, and the webbing ladder, how do you stop and relax? How do you sit and work?

I assume you're using a hip strap around the mast, or something to secure you, but it appears that you're always going to be balanced on your feet, or more likely just one foot since the steps are staggered. This seems physically hard, and potentially unstable.

With a bosun's chair (including an ascender system) one can sit back without having to work to maintain oneself. If need be, it's easy to wrap feet or legs around the spars. The ladder systems appear to put a lot more physical demand on the climber, but I've only ever tried steps for fun, and never tried the webbing versions.

Big wall harness (comfortable for an hour--not a regular sport harness).

Bracing the feet is also helpfull, since all masts swing. The webbing ladder has two steps a the top.

The idea of just using a belt is non-functional, I think we agree.

Like any system, they all have a learning curve. The first time you climb a webbing ladder it is slow, as you struggle to find your feet. Now it takes me less than a minute and is relaxing, like climbing any ladder. The same is true of rope climbing systems. A lot of knitting the first time, easy after some practice.
Old 20-01-2023, 10:46   #19

ATN mast climber is fine, but expensive.

I use a rock climbing harness, some accednders/jammers, figure 8 decenter and a few carabiners. The whole set cost less than $200.

I do agree that the ability to sit and relax a bit is important as trying to do a lot of work standing up while mast is wobbling back and forth is stressful. I climb by myself since I don't want to rely on anyone else.

I think the ultimate setup would be snatch blocks + bosun's chair for a single person comfy experience.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 11:33   #20

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:

I wear my bosun's chair while I climb the steps then tie it off to a higher mast step or the mast top if it's going to be a long job. I carry an ascender and Gri-gri on board that I used before having the steps installed. Having had the joyous opportunity to climb the mast in unfavourable sea conditions to replace a backstay, I was quite happy to not be banging like a pendulum against the mast. After six times aloft (don't ask) I was glad that I wasn't using climbing gear. It was one of those times I thanked my former self for having the steps installed.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 11:56   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380
Mast Climbing Rigs - Recommendations?

I ascended the mast today, twice to deal with an inop anchor that had a good led. Anyway, while still fresh. My first trip in a bosuns chair. Previous trips using a Petzl SAMA medium comfort harness. That particular harness is a bit too painful for me. So an assistant yanked me up via halyard this last time in a chair. I got to use my legs to wrap around the mast, a big advantage. So i am now enamored with a blended system idea. Chair plus ascenders.

Oh, slight correction: my very first masthead trip was 30 years ago at dockside. Bosuns chair and a crane alongside. Made for pretty interesting dynamics while installing a 9 lb sat antenna. [emoji848]
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 12:05   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks folks. I appreciate the info.
Old 20-01-2023, 12:11   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Mike, I wear a standard sailing harness which I clip over the masthead when I get up there. The harness is also used to connect the safety line to me.

I am good for about 40 minutes up the mast and then need to come down as the legs get tired.

Since we have inmast reefing, my webbing ladder has a bolt rope which goes up the trisail track, rather than using sail slugs.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 12:19   #24

The problem with "standard" climbing harness is that they eventually restrict blood flow to the legs. They are not designed for long hang time, they are designed for active climbing. The solution is to add wide, firm padding to the leg loops, as is done with arborist and tower climbing harnesses. Then you have the best of both worlds--easy climbing, safety against an inverted fall, increased mobility, the ability to work higher than a boson's chair (often a considerable drawback), and comfort at any angle (boson's chairs aren't great if you are leaning to reach something). There are reasons Brian Toss designed his own harness.

The more compact your tie-in knot, the higher you can work.
Old 20-01-2023, 12:30   #25

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Check out New Tribe,they make recreational and "hanging out in trees" climbing gear.

BTW, you SHINNY up a mast (using your shins) , a SHiMMY is a dance form the 20's, danced by flappers (like my mom was) while wearing a chemise.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 12:32   #26

Boat: Lagoon 380

Good story Thin [emoji106]
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2023, 13:52   #27

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

So far with my webbing ladder all my jobs have been one handed.

This in mostly running new lines and removing old bullet block.

I ended up having to use pliers to rip out the keeper ring one the bullet block since I had recently cut my finger nails.

The block was pretty much useless anyway as the center roller had long ago disintegrated.

For two hand jobs, I plan to use my tether and harness or just the tether portion.

Next jobs are removing the backstay and getting the steaming light bulb replaced.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 01:09   #28
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
The ladder should be anchored to the mast at every step by a slug. It's in the instructions (and look at the picture in this link).

That said, I often climb without the slides, and it works fine if well tensioned, which it should be either way.

And don't forget the safety line, which he appears to have skipped.

I have a webbing ladder with slugs for the mast. Only used it once but found that I really struggled to get my feet into the steps. Found it more tiring than my old Topclimber. Is this bad technique or do I just need more practice.
Must say I was quite disappointed after reading how good these steps were.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 05:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
I have a webbing ladder with slugs for the mast. Only used it once but found that I really struggled to get my feet into the steps. Found it more tiring than my old Topclimber. Is this bad technique or do I just need more practice.
Must say I was quite disappointed after reading how good these steps were.

Could be technique.
  • Coil away as described in the instructions. VERY important. Otherwise the steps will not fall open properly.
  • Tension the ladder TIGHT with a winch. Otherwise, it will bounce when you weight it (true of all rope climbing methods). The tension should be greater than your "bounce," or about 2x body weight.
  • Shoes with no tread, like old deck shoes. You want them to slide right in. Trail running shoes suck for this.
  • Skew your knees outwards, so that you toe is vertical. It will slide right in.
  • Hands around the mast or sometimes rigging, not the webbing. Rubber faced gloves help a lot.
  • Throw the belt in the trash and get a proper harness. Seriously.
  • Get a belay. Either a crew member on a winch (NEVER slack or the turns can come off the winch) or a self-belay device. I like the Camp Goblin, because I do not have to move it up or down (it tracks), but ascenders work.
  • Pad the harness leg loops for better comfort.
At first I struggled a bit, Now I am up the mast in 1-2 minutes, easy.

Old 23-01-2023, 07:01   #30

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Could be technique.
  • Coil away as described in the instructions. VERY important. Otherwise the steps will not fall open properly.
  • Tension the ladder TIGHT with a winch. Otherwise, it will bounce when you weight it (true of all rope climbing methods). The tension should be greater than your "bounce," or about 2x body weight.
  • Shoes with no tread, like old deck shoes. You want them to slide right in. Trail running shoes suck for this.
  • Skew your knees outwards, so that you toe is vertical. It will slide right in.
  • Hands around the mast or sometimes rigging, not the webbing. Rubber faced gloves help a lot.
  • Throw the belt in the trash and get a proper harness. Seriously.
  • Get a belay. Either a crew member on a winch (NEVER slack or the turns can come off the winch) or a self-belay device. I like the Camp Goblin, because I do not have to move it up or down (it tracks), but ascenders work.
  • Pad the harness leg loops for better comfort.
At first I struggled a bit, Now I am up the mast in 1-2 minutes, easy.
The first three points are what slows me down going up..

My ladder is stored in a pile. When I'm through using it, I grab it up in my arms and throw it below.

This means on the way up I have to spread out the steps with my feet or hands on the way up.

So far I haven't tensioned the ladder at the bottom.

I've used my thick sole boots and old business Rockport shoes but since I had to untangle steps going up didn't notice too much difference.

Hands around the mast always. No gloves.

It gets easier with practice. So far I've been up 4X.

Next will experiment with a harness and backup device to hold me attached to the halyard if a problem occurred before I start unhooking stays etc where I'll need both hands
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, men