Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2024, 07:10   #31

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Low friction Rings in lieu of turning blocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Can you make a photo or 2 please of your setup and post. Sounds awesome.
We'll see, most of the running rigging comes down for the winter to wash/clean, and then goes back on for the season.
The tackles for the runners are 1/2" braid and are not on the boat right now.
Old 12-05-2024, 08:03   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
. . . I do question the ability of a single sailor to lift an unconscious MOB using runners. I suspect the standing rigging may also make matters more difficult.

I question the ability of a single sailor to get an unconscious MOB on board using any method whatsoever. How do you get the lifting tackle on the casualty?

We did a lot of practice with this and the only feasible solution we found was for someone to get into the water with the casualty to get the lines/sling on.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2024, 09:05   #33

Jeepers, I should have known not to post anything about using any kind of tackle rigged from anywhere to try to get anyone aboard.
If you're alone on the boat and an unconscious person is in the water you're going to have a tough task indeed no matter the equipment aboard.
The problem with many threads/posts is that it's all too easy for any type of discussion about almost anything to be expanded to the point of impossibility.
Points keep getting pushed until failure is assured.
Old 12-05-2024, 13:05   #34

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Dutchman Boom Break is always set up to a cabin top winch so it can be easily tightened.
Gave me a chuckle... with all the comments about mid boom vangs and preventers causing boom failures, don't you think that spelling it "Boom BRAKE" would be better?

Jim
Old 13-05-2024, 03:04   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Gave me a chuckle... with all the comments about mid boom vangs and preventers causing boom failures, don't you think that spelling it "Boom BRAKE" would be better?

Jim

Having actually broken a boom with a hydraulic vang -- in the middle of the Atlantic -- not fun -- I can relate to this.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 13-05-2024, 03:06   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Jeepers, I should have known not to post anything about using any kind of tackle rigged from anywhere to try to get anyone aboard.
If you're alone on the boat and an unconscious person is in the water you're going to have a tough task indeed no matter the equipment aboard.
The problem with many threads/posts is that it's all too easy for any type of discussion about almost anything to be expanded to the point of impossibility.
Points keep getting pushed until failure is assured.

I don't quite understand what you're getting at here.

Using tackle to get a MOB casualty back on board is probably the best method. At least, it worked best for us out of different variants.

An unconscious casualty is a giant problem, and surely worth thinking about, and discussing? Or what are you saying?
Walt Whitman
Old 13-05-2024, 10:56   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't quite understand what you're getting at here.
Using tackle to get a MOB casualty back on board is probably the best method. At least, it worked best for us out of different variants.
An unconscious casualty is a giant problem, and surely worth thinking about, and discussing? Or what are you saying?
I had posted about how I set-up the runners so that they could serve as hoisting tackles that would clear the lifelines, and I could hoist away whilst standing on the side deck to enable me to manage the falls/load from one spot.
I should have left it at that.
My big mistake was using parenthesis to insert "or a person in a Lifesling".
As I had also stated that since I was a single hander, in reality, the idea of me having to hoist up a person out of the water was a pretty big leap, if not actually superfluous.
But my typing that parenthetical line caused an immediate jump to the worst conclusion; that of having to rig the tackle to/on and hoist an unconscious person.
I was only trying to point out that so many threads quickly descend into a never-ending stream of "what ifs".
It reminded me of the reams of "what ifs" that the planners of D-Day most surely must have had.
Edit; Perhaps a better analogy might have been when Gen. Patton was outfitting his new boat, the schooner "When and If".
The question was posed, "what if your chronometer is wrong", his reply, "Then we should have two of them".
Then the next question; "With two, how would you know which one was right"?
His answer, "we'll have three".
So,, how about four, or six, or any number?
Old 14-05-2024, 07:13   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Interesting comment. I have not seen a lot if discussion about preventers and vangs breaking booms. I suspect my arrangement is different from others. Perhaps there is a thread on the topic?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2024, 07:22   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I question the ability of a single sailor to get an unconscious MOB on board using any method whatsoever. How do you get the lifting tackle on the casualty?

We did a lot of practice with this and the only feasible solution we found was for someone to get into the water with the casualty to get the lines/sling on.
I agree that this would be difficult. I have a very large snap shackle.

We have relatively low freeboard and I have retrieved stuff over the side. So I believe it difficult but not impossible. In extremis I have a side boarding ladder that could be rigged in 2 minutes.

Not that I imagine any of this operation to be smooth or easy. I have read of a husband loosing his Wife to hypothermia. He had grip of her but could not hoist her aboard. That mental image has some motivation for me to do better.

Another option would he to use a net type drogue, Gale Rider variety, to scoop up the MOB. Yet I see difficulties with this as well and it may also require a second person overboard.

I just don’t see the runners working - for us.

Best to not go over, ever.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2024, 10:51   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
I had posted about how I set-up the runners so that they could serve as hoisting tackles that would clear the lifelines, and I could hoist away whilst standing on the side deck to enable me to manage the falls/load from one spot.
I should have left it at that.
My big mistake was using parenthesis to insert "or a person in a Lifesling".
As I had also stated that since I was a single hander, in reality, the idea of me having to hoist up a person out of the water was a pretty big leap, if not actually superfluous.
But my typing that parenthetical line caused an immediate jump to the worst conclusion; that of having to rig the tackle to/on and hoist an unconscious person.
I was only trying to point out that so many threads quickly descend into a never-ending stream of "what ifs".
It reminded me of the reams of "what ifs" that the planners of D-Day most surely must have had.
Edit; Perhaps a better analogy might have been when Gen. Patton was outfitting his new boat, the schooner "When and If".
The question was posed, "what if your chronometer is wrong", his reply, "Then we should have two of them".
Then the next question; "With two, how would you know which one was right"?
His answer, "we'll have three".
So,, how about four, or six, or any number?

OK, but going through the "what if's" is kind of fundamental to planning for a crisis, isn't it?

"What if the MOB casualty is unconscious" is a really important one, it seems to me. And very healthy and useful to discuss it, so that people have it in their minds when they think about MOB recovery.
Walt Whitman
Old 14-05-2024, 10:56   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I agree that this would be difficult. I have a very large snap shackle.

We have relatively low freeboard and I have retrieved stuff over the side. So I believe it difficult but not impossible. In extremis I have a side boarding ladder that could be rigged in 2 minutes.

Not that I imagine any of this operation to be smooth or easy. I have read of a husband loosing his Wife to hypothermia. He had grip of her but could not hoist her aboard. That mental image has some motivation for me to do better.

Another option would he to use a net type drogue, Gale Rider variety, to scoop up the MOB. Yet I see difficulties with this as well and it may also require a second person overboard.

I just don’t see the runners working - for us.

Best to not go over, ever.
Yep. I read enough stories like that, of MOB casualties dying because the crew struggled and couldn't get them on board, for me to realize that this is probably the biggest challenge of the whole exercise, at least, if you've eliminated FINDING the casualty by having people wear MOB beacons.

It's why we thought about this so much and worked so hard on it.

We did not try parbuckling (using storm jib etc.), the method you mentioned, and I think maybe this summer we'll experiment with that. For a boat with low freeboard especially that could be a really good method.

I can even kind of imagine its being somehow possible to do single handed.

I don't know -- more work is needed.
Walt Whitman