Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 10:02   #1

Looking at a Cal 35, first timer here

Hey y'all, the time is finally here, after a couple years of stalking forums, hanging out at the docks, and filling my bank account, it's time to make a purchase!

So I am looking at an 1980 Cal 35 Mark II, and am in the process of setting up a viewing. My question for you guys are what questions should I ask!?

I do plan on hiring for a survey but with the boat being just 3 hours away I figure I am better off going to check it out first to make sure the pictures/description are justified.

I haven't found much information on these boats, but what I have found seems fairly positive. I do plan to live aboard(not right away), and possible travel plans spanning from the Gulf Coast, Bahamas, BVI, South/Central America, Hawaii, New Zealand, and who knows good plans always change right?

Anyways, I sure would love some advice, any advice, on purchasing this boat(or any boat in general).

Thanks!!
htx_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 14:06   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Looking at a Cal 35, first timer here

Welcome! The Cal 35 is a nice boat but what drew you to that one for the cruising plans you have? It helps to know a little more to help with advice. What kind of budget do you have? Unless the boat is absolutely ready for cruising, to your tastes, it is a good idea to spend about two-thirds of what you have on the boat and the other third on preparations. Sounds extreme, but realistically things seem to work out that way, or worse. My personal preference is to have a skeg mounted rudder or keel hung rudder for extended cruising. It's a safety thing. I was on a delivery once where the big, expensive boat had its spade rudder snap off in the middle of the night after a week of banging to windward. I can think of boats, a little more strongly built, that I'd prefer for long distance trips that perform well. Not that the Cal is a weak boat necessarily. People do sail them all over the place safely. So as you seek advice, remember you'll get a lot of varied opinions based on experiences! Have fun and good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 12:30   #3

Well they sold the boat before I could go get a look at it, so still on the search. Currently my budget for a purchase is 20k, and I plan to outfit it over the course of the next year as I gain more confidence as a skipper to trust my life to myself since I will most likely be doing a lot of single handling.
htx_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:18   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Don't worry, another even better boat will come your way. If you are new to cruising I'd really recommend doing what you can to sail many kinds of boats, especially with an eye to singlehanding if you are sure that is what you will do. The 35 is a little big for singlehanding. I wouldn't recommend it but it is possible. I know a guy who singlehands a Cal 40 but he has many years of experience. I think there may be some better choices. As you gain experience your opinions of boats will likely change. Have you taken a look at the site Bluewaterboats.org? Be sure to check out the "vote for a boat" section. Most of those boats are also excellent choices for research. And the advice at atomvoyages.com is very good too. Atomvoyages.com has a list of "good old boats" which shows some of the more time-tested models. And don't be afraid of boats built in the 60s, it is hard to find a boat now built as well as some of those. I have one and love it. In my own case it was a $4000 bargain. I have a friend who just bought a Cheoy Lee 30 (1970), a very well-built boat, in very good condition for $12,000. Now that is a full keel boat which may not be your preference. I am not advocating finding the cheapest boat you can find, just find one you know, will take care of you and that you love to sail. That may take a little more time on the water in other people's boats. You might check out chartering a variety of boats too to try out different designs. Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal