Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 15:45   #31

pirate Re: Listing to starboard should I worry?

You forgot to take the kitchen sink.

This reminds me of decades ago, I wanted to go hunting for the first time.
I asked a hunter friend of mine what I would need. He said, " a gun, a knife, and some money".
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 17:30   #32

Re: Listing to starboard should I worry?

In all these comments I don’t believe I learned “how is the boat sitting relative to its designed waterline”. To me , that info would be key.to any recommendation.
Noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 20:49   #33

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have a Bavaria 36 that had a starboard list. Shifted my beer and wine to a port side locker and she levelled up.
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 03:48   #34

This could be an issue if you have the "T" type terminals on your rigging?
As a Flotilla skipper many (many) years ago I had a fleet mast come down under sail in the Greek Islands.
I recovered the mast and on inspection saw the lower shroud "T Bar" had snapped off. I inspected the rest of the fleet, and discovered more Port lowers with hairline cracks on the "T" terminals.
The fleet had been operating the previous year on a "training area" route where the winds were very light so the boats had been motored a lot. The fleet had also had new tanks installed on the starboard amidships. This had caused the boats to heel slightly to starboard, putting tension in the port lowers.
Under engine the port lowers "hummed".
We could only presume the harline cracks were the result of these terminals doing x years more work than the rest of the rigging.
NB. The story of the mast coming down & subsequent recovery is fun but not relevant to this thread...
Skipper63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:57   #35

LOVE it!
Old 11-01-2022, 06:01   #36

From your list of things you've loaded into your boat, I would surmise that you have a BIG, HEAVY generator sitting beside your engine. It's giving your boat a permanent list ( I've seen this before).
Old 11-01-2022, 15:50   #37

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
I have a Bavaria 36 that had a starboard list. Shifted my beer and wine to a port side locker and she levelled up.
You must have a big stock

Reminded me about a UK 40FT mono I crewed from Cadiz to cabo Verde...no floorboards as the whole floor consisted off 2-3 layers of beer tins and on top a carpet
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 16:16   #38

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
We (mainly the wife) wanted a "home from home" with all the conveniences as we will be living on her for over 8 months a year. It is so important to have her onboard (excuse the pun) with our new way of life.

I calculated that our cruising is 90% at anchor 10% passage making. The sailing will be island hoping around the Med certainly for the immediate term. The boat is new so hopefully not to much needing repairing/replacing short term and will always be near someone with a oily rag to fix things if they do break.

Saying all that I do totally get keeping things simple.

I will do a big redistribution when next on board and see if this fixes the issue or at least helps.

Really looking forward to our adventure which start in May with a sail from Spain to Turkey be it slightly leaning to the starboard. Thank goodness for ample cup holders .
With a new boat you will have a lot to fix and fight with the Bavaria in the first 2 years. All of new boat owners experienced this, and Bavaria is a garantee that will happen
Add to this all the gear you added and works now in the habour but won't anymore after crusing for some time prepare yourself and especially your wife for some extended unplaned stops at habours and boat yards to fix this all plus money spent. Otherwise your sailing adventure will be much shorter then you expect now
You will also discover over time you won't need all you had at home. And some different stuff you don't even think about now.

Before relocating stuff i would also put some guys one by one at the rail and figure out this way how much weight you have to move so its levels.
Also Balance stern to bow, center the weight wherever possible.

Happy sailing
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 16:41   #39

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock1 View Post
After taking delivery of my Bavaria C57 and loading her up with all the essential stuff for long term cruising (washing machine, batteries, water makers, freezers, fridges, aircon etc etc), she has a definite list to the starboard side.

Thoughts appreciated.
My little Bristol 24 also has a distinct list to the starboard. Could be the spare 20 litre jerry of water on that side or all the other bits and pieces I need to sort and redistribute. Due the Saltwater seacock to the sink I would otherwise remove, this is the side I would like to install one of those little Katadyn PowerSurvivor 40E watermakers. Pity they cost more than I paid for the boat.

With the way COVID has been effecting the global economy, unless you are in pharmaceuticals or healthcare, I would suggest stocking your gold bullion to Port? Even then it might be a legitimate strategy for long-term cruising?
Old 12-01-2022, 16:03   #40

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The only reasonable additional "dead" weight you should consider is batteries.
Surely it's easy to work out the weight distribution on a yacht?
Maybe shifting the washing machine helps?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote