Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2018, 18:02   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 28'
Listing Starboard

Hi all!
New to this site and new to boat ownership! I have a 28 Morgan O/I and during a short trip today the boat started to list starboard. The list continues now that I am at dock. No changes to cargo, water or fuel. I’ve checked all around for water possibly trapped somewhere on the port side, but see nothing obvious. Any ideas???
Thanks!
kthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 18:18   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Listing Starboard

Have port and starboard fuel tanks? Port and starboard water tanks? Sounds like a crossover open. Fill or empty sewage tank? Also is the list increasing still?
Old 04-08-2018, 18:48   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Maybe your exhaust water discharge isn't making it overboard. Or even a portion of it as well.
Old 04-08-2018, 19:42   #4

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
Have port and starboard fuel tanks? Port and starboard water tanks? Sounds like a crossover open. Fill or empty sewage tank? Also is the list increasing still?
I vote for the tanks being separated fuel (cross over closed) and or the return going to the "off line" tank. And or, drawing from only one water tank.
The key here is to hunt for the "parallel" valve for both the fuel and water tanks. Then locate the fuel return valve from the engine and the generator" Generally speaking, you return to the fuel tank you are drawing from unless you are transferring fuel to re-ballast the boat, port/starboard.

Let's hope it is an easy fix as a result of the valve line-up.
Old 04-08-2018, 20:53   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum kthompson...
Did you motor for long during your trip.. are you sure about the location of all your tankage?
Its a long shot but have you got a fender hanging from the side thats filled with water?Another very long shot might be anchor chain shifting..?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:31   #6

Hi and thanks for all the input!
I only have one fuel tank, center aft and one water tank, center forward and the water tank is currently empty.
No fenders left out or anchor chain issues. Was out for 1.5 hours.
The exhaust water discharge sounds like a possibility, but how much water could I create in a short time?
Thanks again for all the support!
Old 05-08-2018, 04:35   #7

List does not seem to be increasing, but still present.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:51   #8

Hi all and thanks for the input!
I tried using the quick reply to answer some of the questions you asked but I don’t see my replies in the thread!
One fuel tank, center aft in the engine compartment. One water tank under the vbirth - which is currently empty.
I was motoring for about an hour and a half.
No bumpers or anchor chains hanging.
And here is the new info, the bilge is filling at a slow rate (pump is working so I’m safe) and there has been no rain since the list started. Do I have a hole in my boat?!?!?
Again, thank you for the help and support!
Old 05-08-2018, 05:16   #9

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

If listing to starboard the additional weight will be starboard also. Manufacturers will sometimes add dunnage to balance a hull. It can become detached and shift location changing the center of gravity.

See here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ge-124974.html
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:16   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson View Post
And here is the new info, the bilge is filling at a slow rate (pump is working so I’m safe) and there has been no rain since the list started. Do I have a hole in my boat?!?!?
Again, thank you for the help and support!
Check your shaft seal.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:12   #11

Yup, I can see the slow trickle coming in the back of the engine compartment. Can’t quite get close enough to see exactly where, yet. But now that I see it, I’m convinced this is an pre-existing condition to the list.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:19   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson View Post
Yup, I can see the slow trickle coming in the back of the engine compartment. Can’t quite get close enough to see exactly where, yet. But now that I see it, I’m convinced this is an pre-existing condition to the list.
With the engine stopped, there should be no water trickling in. When the engine is running and in gear, it should drip in at the rate of a couple of drips per minute.

No hard to adjust (or even replace the packing) if you have some access.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:50   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon

You need to get to your packing gland.. thats where the propeller shaft exits the bilge ... there you will probably see water dripping in from the shaft... there may be something that looks like two plates around the shaft with a nut and bolt on each side.. if you tighten that ever so gently you may stop the dripping..
Don't count on your pump when you are away (if you can help it) i snug mine up when not using the boat until the dripping stops...and then ..and this is the really hard part... remember to loosen it a bit before motoring again... search "packing gland and see if that looks familiar...
You should also know the location and condition of every thru-hull fitting below the water line... these can sink your boat.. double hose clamps on the hose is a good safety measure ... be sure they have sea cocks (valves) that are operational...
I close mine when away from the boat for any length of time.. but I can be a bit anal about that sort of thing..
Old 05-08-2018, 07:13   #14

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

A bilge with a steady flow of water into it is a problem to itself. If the source of that water is the shaft packing, well and good, not a hard fix. Be sure there's no other, though. A pump or float switch failure could sink your boat.

That wouldn't cause a list, though, assuming the bilge is centered on the boat, along the keel line. It would just make the boat settle evenly in the water. You're unbalanced. Something is weighing down the boat on the starboard side.

Full holding tank? Stowage in lockers? Boom swung over? Ought not to be too hard to spot.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:20   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Another long shot ...could you post a picture of top sides...