Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2022, 07:51   #1

Boat: Passport 37
Lifelines

I have the traditional lifelines...so wire with white covering, which is probably 25 yr old. I stripped the covering off a short section of gate and the ss looks good. But at end terminals and wherever the covering has been cut or damaged, rust stains are visible.
Anyone had experience changing out their lifelines, and what is the current best product or design. I do not intend to replace stanchions which have a ss circular top ring to feed lines.
Thx for any info.
Stiffwind
s/v Blue Prince
Stiffwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 08:05   #2

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Lifelines

I ordered mine from West Marine. I talked to one of their rigging guys on the East Coast, I don't think the Midwest ones do swaging but I could be all wrong on this. He was patient and explained what the bits were called and how to measure them. Price was in line with other vendors, free ground shipping. Mine were quite bad under the vinyl coating, the new ones look outstanding. Measure all pieces, take pictures of the ends, ask for Donnie...
Old 17-04-2022, 08:59   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiffwind View Post
I have the traditional lifelines...so wire with white covering, which is probably 25 yr old. I stripped the covering off a short section of gate and the ss looks good. But at end terminals and wherever the covering has been cut or damaged, rust stains are visible.
Anyone had experience changing out their lifelines, and what is the current best product or design. I do not intend to replace stanchions which have a ss circular top ring to feed lines.
Thx for any info.
Stiffwind
s/v Blue Prince
Your location is ambiguous so it’s difficult to offer advice. You can remove your lifelines and mail them to Rigging Only. Danny will duplicate them and mail them back to you, or you can specify any changes you desire. Stay away from coated wire and use uncoated 1X19. You will never have to worry about what may be going on under the coating again.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 09:30   #4

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

Yes, forget about the white vinyl and use bare SS wire. Most areas of any size will have local riggers who will be happy to quote you.
Old 17-04-2022, 15:19   #5

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

You can also transition to Dyneema lifelines and do it yourself.

Just note that some racing organisers won’t allow it (if you’re considering racing).
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 18:45   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Thx for any info.
Stiffwind
s/v Blue Prince

I did it on my Hunter, same situation and reasons.

I took the lifelines to a local rigger and had them make replacements in plain stainless steel (no vinyl). There is wide variation in the quality and cost of the pelican hook type fittings at ends and gates, so make your intentions clear when you order. I believe I got the Johnson Hardware overcenter type hooks which are quite nice but are around $60 each.

There are several mail order rigging places you can use also, West, Defender, Fisheries, etc. You would want to send your lines in for duplication, and mark with tape the amount of tension you usually use.
Old 17-04-2022, 19:11   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:

Thx for any info.

Stiffwind

s/v Blue Prince
Look at Suncor lifeline kits. Bare wires and do it yourself, easy and less costly.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 15:15   #8

Boat: Passport 37

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll try to share the results of whatever I decide.
Stiffwind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lifelines