Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2020, 07:24   #1

Island Packet 26 mkII

Hi all,

First time posting here so apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I am a young guy (23) in the market for my first cruising boat. Ideally, I’d like to start hopping up and down the east coast from my home in NC and spend some time in the Caribbean in the immediate future, living aboard for weeks/months at a time. Realistically, I will probably be making more overnight/weekend trips and sailing around the Pamlico sound and outer banks areas of NC before my Caribbean dreams come true.

My boat search has led me to look at an Island Packet 26 mkII in amazing condition. I hesitate to use the word “turnkey” for any boat, but this thing is close to it. It’s currently owned by a boatyard worker who is ensuring that whatever maintenance and minor repairs the boat needs are done before selling, and in appearance it is definitely the nicest boat I’ve seen for my budget of $10k. Fresh standing rigging, bottom paint, varnish, nice canvas and sails, a well maintained yanmar diesel, autohelm, etc. 26ft is smaller than what I was looking for, but with a beam of 10.5’ this thing feels like a much larger boat. I realize that this boat probably won’t be winning any races, but I am more interested in cruising comfort than high performance sailing, and as long as these boats are relatively seakindly and don’t round up/weather helm too bad I think I would be satisfied.

The main thing that is turning me off of this boat is that there is virtually no information online about them beyond basic factory specs. Hardly anything on this forum or others, or YouTube regarding actual user/owner experience with these boats. Does anyone know anything about them? Have you sailed or owned one?

Some concerns that I saw immediately:
-lack of storage, but it is a 26 footer after all
-glassed in chainplates impossible to inspect
-no hatches in cabin sole? Surely there is a way to access the bilge but it was not obvious to me

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long first post!
Swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 11:35   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Island Packet 26 mkII

G'Day Swamper, and welcome to CF! I can't help you with specific info on that boat, but wanted to say that you sound quite switched on for a "young guy". Your observations and questions show an unusual degree of knowledge for a newbie of any age, so I suspect that you will be a good addition to CF and the cruising community.

At any rate, welcome aboard and good luck in your search and your plans.

Jim
Old 17-11-2020, 11:46   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard swamp! I have no personal experience with the IP26 but I have heard good things about IP in general. It sure sounds like a good deal and roomy for a 26'. Good luck! I hope it works out and send photos!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 12:09   #4

That's a cool boat. Article from Practical Sailor on the IP 27 which is basically the 26 Mk III: https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...land-packet-27. Also read interview with designer Bob Johnson which includes his comments on the 26/27: https://goodoldboat.com/october-2004...ket-interview/
TampaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 13:15   #5

Thanks for the kind words, Jim! I’m not new to sailing—I participated in sea scouts in high school and have been fortunate to have friends with boats. Cruising on my own is new, but I’ve been trying to do my reading.

TampaTom: I found both of those articles too, though neither really gave me what I was looking for.

I guess I’m mostly looking to hear whether this model in particular has any known issues or drawbacks and would like to hear accounts of an IP26 covering some significant distance.

Looks like only 46 of these boats were made so that probably explains the lack of info.
Old 18-11-2020, 09:43   #6

Boat: Island Packet 27

I have an IP27, which is a great boat. Here's a couple IP forums:
IP Home Port - The Original Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners
https://www.ipyoa.com/

I'd suggest joining the Island Packet Yacht Owners Association Facebook group and posting your question there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IPYOA

I sailed from NYC through the Caribbean a couple decades ago in a different boat - a fantastic experience.
brucebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 11:54   #7

Boat: Island Packet 350

What BruceBach said. Also try this: IPYOA.COM
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 19:06   #8

I have the 27, direct descendant of the 26. I looked long and hard for a strong, shoal draft boat like her. You won't regret buying an IP. Not fast in light airs, but loves a breeze. A wonderful boat for single handing. Stable, tough as nails, will never let you down.
Painless
SRQsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 01:22   #9

Boat: Island Packet 31

IPOA anything and everything you ever want to know about your IP 26MK II. I had one and used the Island Packet Owners Association extensively. I still do with my IP 31
MikePz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 05:20   #10

MikePz,

I sent you a PM.

Others—I am joining IPYOA, hopefully I will find some answers there. Thanks
Old 19-11-2020, 07:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
Hi all,

First time posting here so apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question.

I am a young guy (23) in the market for my first cruising boat. Ideally, I’d like to start hopping up and down the east coast from my home in NC and spend some time in the Caribbean in the immediate future, living aboard for weeks/months at a time. Realistically, I will probably be making more overnight/weekend trips and sailing around the Pamlico sound and outer banks areas of NC before my Caribbean dreams come true.

My boat search has led me to look at an Island Packet 26 mkII in amazing condition. I hesitate to use the word “turnkey” for any boat, but this thing is close to it. It’s currently owned by a boatyard worker who is ensuring that whatever maintenance and minor repairs the boat needs are done before selling, and in appearance it is definitely the nicest boat I’ve seen for my budget of $10k. Fresh standing rigging, bottom paint, varnish, nice canvas and sails, a well maintained yanmar diesel, autohelm, etc. 26ft is smaller than what I was looking for, but with a beam of 10.5’ this thing feels like a much larger boat. I realize that this boat probably won’t be winning any races, but I am more interested in cruising comfort than high performance sailing, and as long as these boats are relatively seakindly and don’t round up/weather helm too bad I think I would be satisfied.

The main thing that is turning me off of this boat is that there is virtually no information online about them beyond basic factory specs. Hardly anything on this forum or others, or YouTube regarding actual user/owner experience with these boats. Does anyone know anything about them? Have you sailed or owned one?

Some concerns that I saw immediately:
-lack of storage, but it is a 26 footer after all
-glassed in chainplates impossible to inspect
-no hatches in cabin sole? Surely there is a way to access the bilge but it was not obvious to me

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long first post!
Salty Abandon on you tube had a similar boat until a few weeks ago. A friend of mine has the same boat, with a centerboard. It sails reasonably well for a cruising boat and seems to well built generally.

It doesn’t draw much water.

Tags
island packet