Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2021, 17:32   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: In production 27 ft sailboats.

Both the boats in the OP are meant for racing--they're little more than big racing dinghies, and as such will have a whole bunch of tweaky little control lines who's use will be a mystery to someone who is new at this whole thing. If you want to learn to sail, I'd think a Com-pac or Alerion would be better--simpler rigs, less lines, less expense to replace and maintain.
The racers will require more high-tech sails, replaced more often, to maintain optimum performance, and all the tweaky little lines are disgustingly expensive. The rig will need professional tuning every year to stay in tune--it's a hassle for all but the gung-ho racer.
Old 27-01-2021, 21:58   #17
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_i_w View Post
I would not say that the Com-pac points very well or is good in light air.
I have never sailed on a Catalina 275. But I would believe that it is a faster boat that will point much better than the Com-pac 27.
New boats being as expensive as they are, I wonder if there is a way to "try before you buy."
I did read that you "don't do used." But I feel I have to point out that there are significant advantages to buying a used boat.
Compac 27 and Catalina 275, two different worlds. I'd take 275 over 27 for my purpose. I'd like to have a practical daysailer and an occational weekender. Also Compac appeares to be a low volume production speciality boat, a cute boat but probably starting with 130k - 140k and adds up on that with features I won't use. The problem with Compac 27 is it comes with full keel disadventages without full keel advantages. you probably enjoy your new boat better. your 315 is a keeper, good boat IMO.
With the mass produced boat companies, it's possible to have test ride with a 'sample' boat. I'll have to try that, but I would like to have a good list before then still.
At least, I know one thing; I want brand new.
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 22:04   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Alerion 28
Tartan Fantail Weekender
I've never heard that 28ft-er. I'll be investigating it.
Old 27-01-2021, 22:27   #19

Boat: Catalina 315

I do enjoy my new boat. Great for longer trips. What ever you decide I hope you post pictures when you get it.
stephen_i_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 23:23   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Both the boats in the OP are meant for racing--they're little more than big racing dinghies, and as such will have a whole bunch of tweaky little control lines who's use will be a mystery to someone who is new at this whole thing. If you want to learn to sail, I'd think a Com-pac or Alerion would be better--simpler rigs, less lines, less expense to replace and maintain.
The racers will require more high-tech sails, replaced more often, to maintain optimum performance, and all the tweaky little lines are disgustingly expensive. The rig will need professional tuning every year to stay in tune--it's a hassle for all but the gung-ho racer.
Points well made. You understand my concerns. The very last thing I need is a racing sailboat with disgustingly expensive need for speed features here and there. I'm trying to avoid lots of maintenance, and I've just realized they require too many. No hi-tech sails please. I've started to think even an Oceanis 30.1 is easier to sail than a First 27. I read a few reviews that talked about how slow going Cat 275 was, so I had had hopes about that one for a short while - with non-racing sail set. I think i need to drop that one from the list as well. To top it all, I have a minor knee issue, which might become painful sailing a demanding performance sailboat.
Compac 27 comes with too many features that I won't need, but something caught my eyes on their website: "Our answer to 95% of requests for personalization is 'we can do that.'” Maybe all those undesired details could be deleted, but then such a good old joke it could become; tiller rudder, no shower, no galley, no larger water tank, less wood work and etc...
Alerion 28 seems like a great, and maybe the only, choice in the light of this reply.
There is also this, https://jboats.com/j9
An outboard is also more desirable at this length for me to simplify things, but I think I ask too much.
Old 27-01-2021, 23:58   #21
cruiser

I think I have to add sailboats like Capri 22, Compac 23, Precision 23 and... I dunno...
Old 28-01-2021, 02:50   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Both the boats in the OP are meant for racing
seems to me as if beneteau has two versions of first 27. one appears to be a fast day sailor and the other one pure racer.

day sailor / solo version
https://www.beneteau.com/us/first-new/first-27-new

racer version
https://www.beneteau.com/us/first-se/first-27-se

i wonder if the day sailor version has the expensive and complicated to maintain and use sail system as well.
Old 28-01-2021, 03:24   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
seems to me as if beneteau has two versions of first 27. one appears to be a fast day sailor and the other one pure racer.

racer version

i wonder if the day sailor version has the expensive and complicated to maintain and use sail system as well.
I suspect the day sailor version will suffer less performance loss if corners are cut on line and sails than the gung-ho version. But straight out of the box the racing one will perform better no matter what. The question is: do you want maximum performance? I'd rather learn to drive in a small automatic transmission car than in a manual-shift Porsche. The latter will be fun only when I'm good enough to enjoy it properly.
Old 28-01-2021, 03:35   #24
cruiser

Quote:
I suspect the day sailor version will suffer less performance loss if corners are cut on line and sails than the gung-ho version. But straight out of the box the racing one will perform better no matter what. The question is: do you want maximum performance? I'd rather learn to drive in a small automatic transmission car than in a manual-shift Porsche. The latter will be fun only when I'm good enough to enjoy it properly.
i sure do not want the max performance. my question is do you think the day sailor version will require the sails get replaced more often, and will it have all the tweaky little lines that are disgustingly expensive? will its rig need professional tuning every year to stay in tune and etc...? does the day sailor has the high tech sails that u were talking about? if not, then i 'possibly' found my ride.
Old 28-01-2021, 04:26   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: In production 27 ft sailboats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
i sure do not want the max performance. my question is do you think the day sailor version will require the sails get replaced more often, and will it have all the tweaky little lines that are disgustingly expensive? will its rig need professional tuning every year to stay in tune and etc...? does the day sailor has the high tech sails that u were talking about? if not, then i 'possibly' found my ride.
A write up about the Bene First 27 you may (or not) enjoy if you have not already.
Think Seascape: Sailing the new Beneteau First 27 |

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 09:49   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A write up about the Bene First 27 you may (or not) enjoy if you have not already.
seascape is the high tech racer version, the one i try to avoid. i just need a day sailor / weekender. although i have to admit i think i might be confused abouy what you wanted to tell.
Old 28-01-2021, 10:14   #27
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

pacific seacraft dana 24 is 27 overall length. looks like a sweet full keel boat for single handing and will go almost anywhere you like
Old 28-01-2021, 10:44   #28

Boat: Catalina 270, 27 ft

I looked at the 275 at Annapolis once. It was laid out like a racer and did not look very comfortable as a weekender. I would not own one. I like Catalinas and have a 270, which is a great weekender.
Bawlmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 11:41   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ah, it was a link to an article. Thanks, man. It was helpful; it cleared half of the questions I had about First 27. Seems as Bene kept the original seascape design as the high tech racer, and also created another more basic product line without using the name seascape; and that line appears to be what I should investigate more. The Seascape uses an outboard attached in the middle of the cockpit, while the day sailing version has an inboard diesel and simplier sails, also a bulb fixed keel.

racer version

thank you again for the article; I enjoyed reading it.
Old 28-01-2021, 11:42   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawlmer View Post
I looked at the 275 at Annapolis once. It was laid out like a racer and did not look very comfortable as a weekender. I would not own one. I like Catalinas and have a 270, which is a great weekender.
yes, i also started to have conflicting feelings toward 275.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat