Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2021, 13:30   #46
cruiser

Re: In production 27 ft sailboats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
The more I read the more I think the Compac 27 is what you will end up with.
Buying new you can leave off the items you fell are not needed too.
I'd be asking for Compac 23 features in Compac 27 size.
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 13:54   #47

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
I had a Sunfish. Sailed the heck out of it. Rented various dingies with friends.
I'll be taking a few sailing classes before finalizing my decision which will help me test some more boats. I really want to skip the owning of 22 ft range sailboats, and don't go over 30ft at all. A practical, low maintenance, new daysailor / weekender around ~27ft.
That's a very good start.

As an 'old salt' my first recommendation is: definitely do the sailing classes before you buy a boat, and try and get lessons on a boat the size you are looking for. It will go a long way in helping you make a decision.

My second recommendation is to familiarize yourself with sailboat design ratios. This a a pretty good article on the subject:

https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/c...-design-ratios

Now you don't have to become a naval architect, but a basic understanding of design ratios will allow you to weed out the "hot-rods" from the family cruisers, and give you a starting point for boat performance.

I'm also going to go along with looking at used boats. You can get a survey which will expose all the 'warts' and keep you from being blindsided with an unexpected expense. New boats, like cars, are not always problem free. They can also be more of a nuisance to have fixed, as taking it back to the dealer is not always feasible. Case in point: a member of our club bought a new 37' boat from a respected Great Lakes dealer and took delivery last spring. The boat developed a problem with the hydraulic helm, the dealer made 5 trips to repair it (one all the way to northern Michigan) before they finally got it fixed. While parts and labor were covered, the travel time, to and from the boat, was not and was billed at the regular shop rate of $130/hr. And then there is the fact that the boat was OOC half of our very short season.

Good luck with your search!
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 14:17   #48

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from though, but for this thread, I'd like to be able to make a short list. You see after testing a few boats, I might even decide to take a completely differet path, but for now, I want to see what new boats I'm missing. I can go with even a little shorter or longer boats.
I had a Sunfish. I bought that new as well. Sailed the heck out of it. When I moved to the East Coast, I gave it to a friend.
In btw, I'll be taking a few sailing classes which will help me test some more boats.
Yeah, that's nice but doesn't really apply.

I bought two Hi-tech racing beach cats new as well (Nacra 6.0 and a Nacra F-17 w/spinnaker) but only after owning two Hobie 16's that I raced for a few years first.

I raced the new ones for many years on the Gulf Coast. (sometimes 9 months out of the year)

Point is it's a good idea to have a bit of a background sailing the type boats you plan to buy otherwise you are rolling the dice hoping for a good outcome.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 14:24   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
My second recommendation is to familiarize yourself with sailboat design ratios. This a a pretty good article on the subject: https://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/c...-design-ratios
I have a general idea about these, but try not to list what design ratios would be great for my cause - because if I do that, then the result usually ends with '0' boats. But I'll study the link you sent and learn them properly; there must be some wrong / hearsay info I have. TY. This will help me a lot.
I list the boats, then look into the ratios. Even though I consider First 27, Cat 275, and such speeders, they will probably be eliminated in the end. But sometimes, some boats are designed so well that even though they are out of range in my ratio desires, they could still stay in the list. On the other hand, a boat might have perfect fit specs on paper, but it could be designed during amateur hour. These forums help a lot to weed them out.
Not many options for what I want out there, huh?
Old 28-01-2021, 14:26   #50

A couple more that I haven't seen mentioned but seem to be still in production:
  • J/80
  • Nor'Sea 27
  • Pacific Seacraft 31 (LWL is 24')
  • Seaward 26RK
RogerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 14:42   #51
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I bought two Hi-tech racing beach cats new as well (Nacra 6.0 and a Nacra F-17 w/spinnaker) but only after owning two Hobie 16's that I raced for a few years first.
Point is it's a good idea to have a bit of a background sailing the type boats you plan to buy otherwise you are rolling the dice hoping for a good outcome.
I won't ever go back to the dingy scene. I don't want to put any more pressure on my knee. I need a calm but good sailor. First 27 and such will be dropped from the list eventually due to that. Something tells me just go buy a catamaran, it'll go easy on the knee, but let's don't get carried away.
Prior to the purchase, I'd be testing a dozen of different designs, take plenty of classes, not that big of a gamble perhaps, huh?
I'll be testing boats like Cat 22s and her friends. Maybe I'll realize some experience limits of mine and consider not to go anything bigger than ~22 for the time...
I dunno, maybe the boat I look for doesn't exist. I think I pretty much went through every sailboat avaliable in the US, and the thread has already served its purpose. My finding is, lately the brand new 27ft day sailor / weekender market only provides racers. It's what it's...
I guess marketing trends dictate that the 30ft sailboats are the weekenders of our age. Maybe I should start a new thread about 22 - 23 ft range sailboats for my purpose...
Old 28-01-2021, 14:56   #52

Quote:
I won't ever go back to the dingy scene. I don't want to put any more pressure on my knee. I need a calm but good sailor. First 27 and such will be dropped from the list eventually due to that. Something tells me just go buy a catamaran, it'll go easy on the knee, but let's don't get carried away.
Prior to the purchase, I'd be testing a dozen of different designs, take plenty of classes, not that big of a gamble perhaps, huh?
I'll be testing boats like Cat 22s and her friends. Maybe I'll realize some experience limits of mine and consider not to go anything bigger than ~22 for the time...
I dunno, maybe the boat I look for doesn't exist. I think I pretty much went through every sailboat avaliable in the US, and the thread has already served its purpose. My finding is, lately the brand new 27ft day sailor / weekender market only provides racers. It's what it's...
I guess marketing trends dictate that the 30ft sailboats are the weekenders of our age. Maybe I should start a new thread about 22 - 23 ft range sailboats for my purpose...
If you are worrying over your knees etc, the heavier, larger boats will be better because they are easier on the body.

Or if you are set on a 27'r then you should go old school and get a heavy full keel boat which heels but then just stays there.

https://www.atomvoyages.com/planning...oats-list.html

here's my $2,000 Bristol in Winds over 30 knots.

Not hard on the body for the 3 hour crossing.

Old 28-01-2021, 15:03   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerC View Post
A couple more that I haven't seen mentioned but seem to be still in production:
  • J/80
  • Nor'Sea 27
  • Pacific Seacraft 31 (LWL is 24')
  • Seaward 26RK
Now, Seacraft 31 is expensive brand new.
Seaward website goes to Island Packet site lately. A few years ago they started to manufacture them in IP falities. Not so sure. But I try to avoid the keels that can be tucked all the way up.
I don't know if Nor'Sea is still in production.
j80 is too much of a racer for me.
thanks for the list. cool boats.
Old 28-01-2021, 15:08   #54
cruiser

Quote:
here's my $2,000 Bristol.
Nice set up, you have. Enjoy.
You see Compac 27 wouldn't provide what your boat does.
Old 28-01-2021, 15:13   #55
cruiser

Quote:
if you are set on a 27'r...
I don't think I'm set with 27'rs anymore. I'll either go shorter ~22 or go with something ~30ft, which wouldn't be a starter boat.
Old 28-01-2021, 15:24   #56
cruiser

Quote:
a heavy full keel boat which heels but then just stays there.
I'm gonna study the sailing charactheristics of Compac's long fin keel vs. the old school keels longer than %50 of the hull. From what I've read, Compac sailboats some how same charactheristics.
Old 28-01-2021, 15:41   #57

Quote:
I'm gonna study the sailing charactheristics of Compac's long fin keel vs. the old school keels longer than %50 of the hull. From what I've read, Compac sailboats some how same charactheristics.
Go to sailboatdata.com to compare.

https://sailboatdata.com/

and btw, I bought my boat for $2,000 in 2011 planning to go larger if i could adjust to slow boat sailing but life got in the way (family medical problem) so I stayed with it putting in maybe another $10K for upgrades.

The basic boat didn't need anything, and I still haven't replaced the rigging or thru hulls/seacocks even thought he boat was on the hard for 5 years before I bought it.
Old 28-01-2021, 17:45   #58
cruiser

Quote:
but life got in the way (family medical problem)
Ah, I'm sorry. I hope everything is okay now.
Old 28-01-2021, 18:21   #59
cruiser

Well, this thread added 3 sailboats to my list, so it'd be unfair to call this post completely fruitless.
Alerion 28
Fantail We
Saffier Se 27, I guess...
Old 28-01-2021, 18:46   #60

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Not many options for what I want out there, huh?
Well, not if you're fixed on new. The heyday of boats in this range was in the early-mid 70's. But the economic downturn in the late 70's and 80's drove many mfr's out of business, and for the most part it never came back to where it was. That said, there are a lot of those early boats still out there, still in pretty good shape (fiberglass doesn't rot... ) and they can be had for a song. You could get one, refine your skills and get a better idea of what you want. Who knows, you may find that single handing a larger boat isn't for you, or maybe you're prone to motion sickness (everybody is to one degree or another). Then again you might find you absolutely love it, and we'll be reading about your single-handed circumnavigation.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat