Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2021, 13:59   #1
cruiser

In production 27 ft sailboats.

I've been searching for a 27ft sailboat. I live on East Coast. It has to be brand new and something that I can sail by myself. I've looked at Catalina 275 Sport, and Beneteau First 27. Both could do the job, but how do they work in real life? Looking their ads and websites, they all are the 'best.'
A full keel could be nice, but in the brand new market, it doesn't exist anymore. I think a well engineered fin or bulb keel will do a great job, but which ones are the ones? Some proven design that's still produced today; which one is that?
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 14:05   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: In production 27 ft sailboats.

How do you intend to use the boat? What do you not like about the ones you listed?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 14:14   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
How do you intend to use the boat? What do you not like about the ones you listed?
They are all awesome when I read their websites, but I wonder what people have experienced with them in real life. Or if there are other sailboats with proven designs that I should check out; I would hate to ignore them.
It'll be a day sailor and weekender from time to time. I'll sail it for years to learn the ropes and then start looking for a 30 something ft one for extended voyages.
Old 27-01-2021, 14:19   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: In production 27 ft sailboats.

Long keel.. Full standing headroom..
All depends on whether you want a head turner, or just another Plastic Fantastic..

https://www.cornishcrabbers.co.uk/cl...abber-26/#tab2

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 14:22   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Take a look at the Djangos. Hotshot pocket cruiser. We met one last year, had come from Patagonia! A modern idiom boat, too.

Ann
Old 27-01-2021, 14:39   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 375

I have never seen either of these boats in person, but they both look pretty sporty in the ads, the Beneteau in particular. You would probably want a fair amount of sailing experience to singlehand it. The Catalina looks slightly less like a race boat, and a bit more manageable, but still on the sporty side.
Are you really set on a brand-new boat? There don't seem to be many options in your size range. You could save a lot of money with a good used boat and have a lot more choices.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 15:10   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Long keel.. Full standing headroom..
All depends on whether you want a head turner, or just another Plastic Fantastic..

https://www.cornishcrabbers.co.uk/cl...abber-26/#tab2
good looker, but I live in East Coast. finding parts and etc... could be difficult.
Old 27-01-2021, 15:12   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
the Beneteau in particular. You would probably want a fair amount of sailing experience to singlehand it. The Catalina looks slightly less like a race boat, and a bit more manageable, but still on the sporty side.
Are you really set on a brand-new boat? There don't seem to be many options in your size range. You could save a lot of money with a good used boat and have a lot more choices.
Catalina 275 seems more reasonable.
Yeah, I don't do used.
Old 27-01-2021, 15:14   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Take a look at the Djangos. Hotshot pocket cruiser. We met one last year, had come from Patagonia! A modern idiom boat, too.

Ann
just like First 27, could be a little on the fast side for me. What I like about them is no money was wasted on wood work or such. There are also Jboats, I guess. I will check them out too.
I've even considered a Compac 27 as I thought it would be calmer to sail.
Old 27-01-2021, 15:18   #10
cruiser

I will also research saffier yachts. I'm more interested in a stable calmer sailboat. A good design. some of these boats, like first 27 se, seemed to be designed just for racing, could be hard for me to handle single handed. What else I might be missing; I'm open for shorter and longer models too...
Old 27-01-2021, 15:53   #11

Boat: Catalina 315

I had a Com-Pac 27 for 15 years. It was a great boat. Not a racer for sure, but seaworthy, easy to sail, well built and very comfortable for a boat its size. I replaced it with a Catalina 315 (which I also like) to take longer cruises. The Com-Pac 27 is certainly worth a look.
stephen_i_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 16:07   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_i_w View Post
I had a Com-Pac 27 for 15 years. It was a great boat. Not a racer for sure, but seaworthy, easy to sail, well built and very comfortable for a boat its size. I replaced it with a Catalina 315 (which I also like) to take longer cruises. The Com-Pac 27 is certainly worth a look.
Yeah, I think I read your earlier post about that. Probably, Compac 27 would be a good sailboat for south of East Coast. It's shallow draft would be helpful there. Do you think it will handle East Coast seas well? I also would like to ask how it points and how does it react to side winds - some terms might not be very accurate here, bare with me pls.
I would also be worred how much extra cash would be going to it's features like wood work, shower, wheel, and such things that I won't be using much. Another concern I have is how much they sacrificed from it's performance to achieve that short draft.
Old 27-01-2021, 16:10   #13
cruiser

Catalina 275 Sport is winning so far... We'll see...
Old 27-01-2021, 17:01   #14

Boat: Catalina 315

I would not say that the Com-pac points very well or is good in light air. I have no idea how much they cost new. I bought mine in 2004 and it was 17 years old when I purchased it (1987 model).

I have never sailed on a Catalina 275. But I would believe that it is a faster boat that will point much better than the Com-pac 27. I would also believe that the Com-pac is more comfortable, especially in bad weather. The lack of pointing ability is likely also what makes the Com-pac more comfortable in heavier weather as it tends to slip sideways.

The Com-pac has more creature comforts. It has an enclosed head, better sleeping arrangements and a usable galley. The Com-pac also has standing head room. A nice feature if you are going to cruise it. New boats being as expensive as they are, I wonder if there is a way to "try before you buy."

I did read that you "don't do used." But I feel I have to point out that there are significant advantages to buying a used boat. For one thing, you can actually see the boat you want to buy before you purchase it. You can make the sale contingent on a sea trial. You would be amazed at how much the dealers etc add on to the price of a new boat. A new boat with a "base price" of $135,000 can end up easily costing over $200,000 before tax. That same boat might cost only $100,000 lightly used. Even then, once you own the new boat there will be a period of getting the boat right for your use of it.

There are many lightly used boats for sail. My current boat had only 180 hours on the engine when I purchased her. The Com-pac had only 350 hours. The life of a Diesel engine can easily be 5000 hours. The sails on my current boat were so unused that that they looked as if they had never been sailed, stiff and starched with no wrinkles. Both boats came with brand new, unused spinnakers. Both boats surveyed very well and were little trouble over the time I have owned them. Of course there will always be issues. But that is true for both new and used boats.
stephen_i_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 17:14   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Alerion 28
Tartan Fantail Weekender
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat