Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2020, 08:48   #16

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: Hylas 49 vs. Tayana 48 DS

Being a Tayana 48DS owner (#063, 2001 & supposedly the first one built) I'm probably biased, but I really don't know much about the Hylas' other than they're very pretty boats and their owners seem to like them.
On the mast height, the stock Tayana 48 mast is 67' out of the water (not counting antennas and lights), which pretty much precludes much ICW travel. The 48DS and "plain" 48 are the same default rig, btw.
I do know of a couple T48s that have shorter, ICW-compliant rigs, so you should check this on individual candidates.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
T48DS #063
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:53   #17

Boat: Stevens 47

I have a Stevens 47. Queen Long added a couple of feet to the stern and a couple of inches to the sheer to make the Hylas 49, so they have the same underbody. What no one has mentioned so far is the sea kindliness of these boats. They are amazingly comfortable in rough weather, in shore and off. I can't speak to the Tayana's manners in sporty weather, but I would buy a Hylas 49 in a heart beat if I was willing to part with my Stevens.
sainted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:07   #18

Boat: Caliber 47

Have you looked at a Caliber47? My guess is the Hylas will sell at a considerable premium over the Caliber considering boats are pretty comparable!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:11   #19

Boat: Camano 41

TBA, here's the thing. If you are only going to buy one boat, have no regrets. The money difference will look silly if you don't go with your heart.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 10:25   #20
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBA View Post
Ok, am I insane comparing these two boats?

I’m looking for center cockpit, blue water, ICW compliant boat with no more than 6 ft. draft. I’ve looked at several famous brands (old and new) and have zeroed in on the Tayana 48 Deck Saloon and Hylas 49. Both appeal to my gut/heart.

I know they’re different with their own strengths, but looking at current possible costs is the Hylas worth a 25-33% premium for fairly comparably equipped 2005 - 2008 boats? I’m looking at 10-15 years of ownership.

Thx in advance.
Since they both tug at your heart look at the numbers.

The Tayana LWL is a bit longer, boat is a bit heavier with less ballast, COMFORT ratio a 1.3 higher, CAPSIZE ratio .03 lower, VHULL ratio .26 faster.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 12:22   #21
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartleyg View Post
Being a Tayana 48DS owner (#063, 2001 & supposedly the first one built) I'm probably biased, but I really don't know much about the Hylas' other than they're very pretty boats and their owners seem to like them.
On the mast height, the stock Tayana 48 mast is 67' out of the water (not counting antennas and lights), which pretty much precludes much ICW travel. The 48DS and "plain" 48 are the same default rig, btw.
I do know of a couple T48s that have shorter, ICW-compliant rigs, so you should check this on individual candidates.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
T48DS #063
Thanks, Hartley. Yes, I do need to look at the individual boats. Does the shorter stick affect performance much?
TBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 12:25   #22
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
Since they both tug at your heart look at the numbers.

The Tayana LWL is a bit longer, boat is a bit heavier with less ballast, COMFORT ratio a 1.3 higher, CAPSIZE ratio .03 lower, VHULL ratio .26 faster.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Thanks, MJH. Good to look at. I guess the next thing I need to do is get out on them.
Old 27-04-2020, 12:27   #23
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mason View Post
TBA, here's the thing. If you are only going to buy one boat, have no regrets. The money difference will look silly if you don't go with your heart.
I agree, Greg ... I'm leaning toward the Hylas ... just need to come to that conclusion!

Thanks,
Old 27-04-2020, 12:34   #24

Boat: Oyster 55

The condition and equipment of a used boat will make a huge difference in the value of the boat, but don't assume that the equipment is good until you or a surveyor has operated it and verified it. Brokers list equipment with a big disclaimer because they don't try to verify it works. If the Hylas and Tayana are both relatively equal values today and both suit your taste and needs, buy the Hylas. I think the future value of Hylas will be better than Tayana. By the way, don't put a big premium on getting under the bridges of the ICW. With either of these boats you will find it easier and more enjoyable to just sail offshore and avoid the bridges and shoals.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 12:41   #25
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I've got a 1990 Hylas 44. Build quality is exceptional. Family owned, and they still provide customer support for my boat.
When I went to rebed the lifeline stanchions I bought a box of 1 1/2 machine screws. They were too short to go through the deck!
Thanks! They both have great reputations. Glad yours is a tank!
Old 27-04-2020, 12:48   #26
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
The condition and equipment of a used boat will make a huge difference in the value of the boat, but don't assume that the equipment is good until you or a surveyor has operated it and verified it. Brokers list equipment with a big disclaimer because they don't try to verify it works. If the Hylas and Tayana are both relatively equal values today and both suit your taste and needs, buy the Hylas. I think the future value of Hylas will be better than Tayana. By the way, don't put a big premium on getting under the bridges of the ICW. With either of these boats you will find it easier and more enjoyable to just sail offshore and avoid the bridges and shoals.
Thanks, Dr.

I hear you on the ICW. I do have places inside in NC that I'd like to get. What are your thoughts on draft. I'm a west coast of FL sailor.
Old 27-04-2020, 13:17   #27

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

TBA: "Does the shorter stick affect performance much?"

I wouldn't think so - in very light air, there would be a slight reduction in drive, but with any wind above 10 knots, I would suspect little difference in sailing performance, especially for cruising setups I find we're reefing starting at about 15-18 knots, and boat speed doesn't drop when you reef. FWIW, we have an in-boom furler, so reefing is easy & quick, and doesn't involve leaving the cockpit. If you can believe it, we've sailed in up to 45 knots or so, and we've never put the rail under because there is a LOT of freeboard.

That said, these are not racing boats - they're big & heavy so light air is often a motorsailing proposition anyway. But you'll appreciate the "big & heavy" part out in a seaway

We have no complaints about the build quality, with a couple of exceptions: the SS freshwater tanks were not welded properly and a couple seams rusted out after 18 years;
The steering setup was not up to the task of steering an 18-ton boat with a baggy main (think lotsa weather helm!). We did a fairly serious upgrade to what was originally an entirely cable-in-sheath system;
They installed the cooling system loop to the water heater using AIR HOSE (!) and put it where no human will ever be again.
All of these were fixable, but worth your time looking at. I have no idea if they were unique to our boat or systemic.

As far as the fiberglass and woodwork, electrical, fuel and rigging it has been very high-grade throughout.

We retired in 2014 and we've put about 20,000 nm on her since then.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 13:20   #28

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

65' clerance at MHW on the ICW is now a joke. There is even a new bridge that's spec. came in at 64'. Mast height is not the only problem as you must also consider the additional height of your masthead appendages (lights, wind transducer, radio antenna, etc.). With the rise in sea level a mast over 62' is asking for trouble unless you pass under the more shallow ones on low tide, which restricts your schedule. This is particularly bad in the Carolinas if theve had a wet hurricane season and rainy fall like they did in 2018/19. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 14:28   #29
TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
65' clerance at MHW on the ICW is now a joke. There is even a new bridge that's spec. came in at 64'. Mast height is not the only problem as you must also consider the additional height of your masthead appendages (lights, wind transducer, radio antenna, etc.). With the rise in sea level a mast over 62' is asking for trouble unless you pass under the more shallow ones on low tide, which restricts your schedule. This is particularly bad in the Carolinas if theve had a wet hurricane season and rainy fall like they did in 2018/19. JMHO
Thx. I remember flooding our bilge and flipping antenna as teen (I was always the one hoisted up) getting under an old rr bridge on the trip through FL/Okeechobee. Fun stuff.
Old 27-04-2020, 18:43   #30

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW, we lived and worked in Asia for about 15 years. Before we bought our boat, I had the chance to visit all 3 boatyards there in Kaushuing, Taiwan. The TaYang yard (where Tayanas were made), the Queen Long Yard (where Hylas is made), and the Ta Shing Yard, where the Taswell line was made. After spending multiple hours at each, talking with the yard guys as well as the office/Engineering folks, and having a chance to crawl around new boats from each, our 1st choice was a Hylas-the quality and care was very, very evident. Almost tied with them, in our opinion, was the Taswell. The Tayana was built to a lower price point, and, to me, it showed; a good boat to be sure, but not to the standard of the other 2. But.....we could not afford a new boat, we found a good looking 10-year old Taswell in Singapore, and have been VERY happy with her for the past 20 years. In my opinion, look at the Taswells as well-if you can find one. IF everything else is near equal, I'd go with a Hylas or Taswell in a heatbeat.....an easy choice for me, especially for an older, used boat!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hylas