Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 19:34   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Bean bag chairs make a heeling cockpit level. It's magic.
Need to trim? Toss the bag aside. It weighs nothing.
Reposition it and get comfy. It's almost like you're sailing flat on a multihull.
We had a couple of them on our mono while cruising Mexico, and we have a couple on our tri.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 22:32   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Might have to try it someday....but if one ever bursts Im going to be mad at you...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 22:49   #18

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Might have to try it someday....but if one ever bursts Im going to be mad at you...
Actually, they way they come from the store that's not so hard to picture. Mine are great, but you have to take about half the beans out first to make them work on a boat. That's a touch messy, but well worth it.

What I took out of the store bought bean bag chairs I put into my custom made foam cushions. Paid a lot of money for those cushions, but never really used them until I converted them to bean bags.
Old 25-10-2010, 22:57   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Bean bags. Great idea. My coushions spend all their time stowed in the quarterberth. I don't want to climb on them when I go out on deck. They're a PITA.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 23:21   #20

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah
Our cockpit on our 32' has much the same arrangement as yours, including the low teak "backrests", and with the tiller. When at anchor we have an rollup inflatable seat called a "Flaty" (very similar to an inflatable mattress for camping) with non-skid on the bottom to prevent sliding. They work fairly well, I suppose. We use it under sail in mild conditions as well. However, we keep no butt cushions when underway in more than 15 kts or so, as they tend to go flying.

I find that the biggest problem is being able to see either over or around the dodger. Keep this in mind. 90% of the time (basically when it's not pissing rain and we're not bucking waves or battling high winds) when sailing I sit as far forward as possible without being under the dodger, and I look around th outside of the dodger. I use a tiller extension so I can see around and still have control. It seems that we spend an inordinate amount of time on a close reach; my point being that on a heel, I can't see how cushions or bean bag chairs would be valuable in a relatively small cockpit. I'm just able to anchor my feet on the low side of the cockpit well and poke my head around the dodger. (I'm only 5'1")I end up with the teak backrest being relatively uncomfortable, especially on a 4 or 5 hour leg. When under power I tend to stand just aft of the dodger, with the tiller between my legs, peaking out over the top. I've seen people with the same setup add a pool noodle along the top of the backrest for that reason. It may not be classy (though I'm sure one could make some sort of custom Sunbrella cover) but it does the job.
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 00:31   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I built a stand up cockpit w/removable seats. One thing I hated was having to bend over a seat to crank a winch. Now I'm right there at the winch and if/when I want to sit I can pull out the seat(s) and set'm up.

I really don't like laying down in the cockpit so I don't need the long seats. But if I do, two seats together with a brace between the steps works OK.

When I'm sailing heeled over I can sit on on side and brace my feet on the other. After tacking I switch the seat to the other side or have one on each side already. I do occasionally put a cushion behind me of it's a long run.

Not everyone would like my setup but it is great for my bad back. "To each his own"

Thats excellent Del...I love seeing this type of thinking outside the box.
Its great that you can set her up in a way that works for you.
And very clean work I might add.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 00:38   #22

Quote:
Thats excellent Del...I love seeing this type of thinking outside the box.
Its great that you can set her up in a way that works for you.
And very clean work I might add.

Ya!...you two are two peas in a pod in that regard..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 26-10-2010, 00:40   #23

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by serah View Post

... my point being that on a heel, I can't see how cushions or bean bag chairs would be valuable in a relatively small cockpit. ...
Some people have to have everything just perfect.

I didn't go with bean bags with anything in mind other than sitting in an anchorage. Start there and then see what you can get away with later. But I'm sure you're right. Sometimes you just don't get to have everything.

Bean bag chairs are made to plop down in front of a TV with. With that in mind, having a lot of beans is a good thing. My favorite bean bag on the boat is only about 1/4 full. (I have 3 + the 3 original cushions now filled with beans).

These things can pack away in places where nothing else will fit, and they can help to act like packing material so that other things don't move around too much either.
Old 26-10-2010, 02:31   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Not everyone would like my setup but it is great for my bad back. "To each his own"
Thats good Del! (You need a bigger wheel, thats all!)

It certainly openes up some good workspace.

Would be good for me too.... I could fit my bed up there

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 06:46   #25

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Thats good Del! (You need a bigger wheel, thats all!)
You mean like this............... Wheel and tiller

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pedestal&tiller.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	20524  
Old 26-10-2010, 07:58   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
We bought two kid size bean bags.
When they're not being used, they live under the steering station sole in the stern.
The space is big, but of course one doesn't want to put a lot of weight there.
No matter where you decide to store them, they are easily moved, and can be "poured" through a smallish hatch if necessary.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 11:35   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by serah View Post
Our cockpit on our 32' has much the same arrangement as yours, including the low teak "backrests", and with the tiller. When at anchor we have an rollup inflatable seat called a "Flaty" (very similar to an inflatable mattress for camping) with non-skid on the bottom to prevent sliding. They work fairly well, I suppose. We use it under sail in mild conditions as well. However, we keep no butt cushions when underway in more than 15 kts or so, as they tend to go flying.

I find that the biggest problem is being able to see either over or around the dodger. Keep this in mind. 90% of the time (basically when it's not pissing rain and we're not bucking waves or battling high winds) when sailing I sit as far forward as possible without being under the dodger, and I look around th outside of the dodger. I use a tiller extension so I can see around and still have control. It seems that we spend an inordinate amount of time on a close reach; my point being that on a heel, I can't see how cushions or bean bag chairs would be valuable in a relatively small cockpit. I'm just able to anchor my feet on the low side of the cockpit well and poke my head around the dodger. (I'm only 5'1")I end up with the teak backrest being relatively uncomfortable, especially on a 4 or 5 hour leg. When under power I tend to stand just aft of the dodger, with the tiller between my legs, peaking out over the top. I've seen people with the same setup add a pool noodle along the top of the backrest for that reason. It may not be classy (though I'm sure one could make some sort of custom Sunbrella cover) but it does the job.
Lots of info on this thread, I especialy love yours because you bring me there with you (on the boat in the waves) plus I have pool noodles
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 11:48   #28

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Quote:
I built a stand up cockpit w/removable seats.

Not everyone would like my setup but it is great for my bad back. "To each his own".

Who cares if someone else doesn't like it... So long as it works for you, that's all that matters. I think it looks Great with all that extra room. Good Job!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 12:11   #29

I might try a bean bag... hmm. What happens when they get wet?

edit:

Looks like there are sunbrella outdoor beanbags.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0017YQZL6
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2010, 12:47   #30

Hey! ...who needs a cockpit at all..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Giant bean bag.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	20537