Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 16:27   #1

Hi, New to the Forum, LOTS of Q's!

Hello there.

Just forun this forum recently, and thought I would kindly ask for some advice.

I've been sailing a few times, long ago, and all of a sudden have the urge to buy a boat and really learn.

However, the closest sailable lake is from what I have been told, is "very difficult". Lake Dillon, CO.

I am looking for something like a used Hunter or Catalina 22-25 I think. $4,000 or so. I'm guessing swing keel b/c I want something I could trailer to other places once I become more experienced, and possibly leave in Denver to extend the short sailing season here.

I have pretty much no sailing experience, but want to learn so that when my 3 month son gets older, we can do a family thing.

So, the beginning of a long list of questions i'm sure is:

Am I crazy thinking about learning on such a difficult and trecherous lake?

Are the hunters and catalina's in that size a reasonable boat to learn on?

Is there a stability advantage of a fixed keel vs swing keel?

What else should I consider?

Thanks!
jay80424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 16:40   #2

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Welcome Aboard...you will definitely find answers to most of your questions here there is a wealth of experiance floating around.

Dont know a thing abut that lake but MY gut tells me watch the weather windows and stay close in till you get some sea sense and learn your boat and you will be just fine...It aint rocket science..Just leave the little tyke at the dock for a while.

OH some answers to Questions...

A swing keel can retract on you during a rollover which is a bear cat..but it also allows you to trailer and launch easely..pretty tough to find a launch with a fix keel other then at the travel lift.

Yes thoes are good boats to learn on.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 16:53   #3

Boat: Formosa 41 CT Garden Ketch. Wind Rose Hull #282. i am looking for her!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay80424 View Post
Hello there.

Just forun this forum recently, and thought I would kindly ask for some advice.

I've been sailing a few times, long ago, and all of a sudden have the urge to buy a boat and really learn.

However, the closest sailable lake is from what I have been told, is "very difficult". Lake Dillon, CO.

I am looking for something like a used Hunter or Catalina 22-25 I think. $4,000 or so. I'm guessing swing keel b/c I want something I could trailer to other places once I become more experienced, and possibly leave in Denver to extend the short sailing season here.

I have pretty much no sailing experience, but want to learn so that when my 3 month son gets older, we can do a family thing.

Thanks!
Hey i am much like you. I also have a 3 month old son and was inspired to start a family thing.
I am in the process of acquiring a 23' WD Schock. I hear good things about them.
And they are fairly affordable I think. Also a bit in your price range give or take a thousand.
I don't know much about lakes, so I cannot help on advice.
Just wanted to give you a shout out and say we are in the same boat. So to speak.
Mallory
Find Wind Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 23:46   #4

Quote:
Excellent ! It is always nice to hear of people getting into the sport.

Quote:
Don't dwell too much on that. Difficult is a subjective thing.

Quote:

If you are serious about wanting to learn to sail well, I would strongly recommend that you get yourself a dinghy for a couple of seasons and really learn about sail trim, weight placement, capsizing and reefing. There are things you can feel easily on small boats that are very difficult to discern on larger, heavier boats. Think about getting a Laser, a Snipe, a 505, a CL14/16 or any similar boat and working with that for a couple of years.

If you buy a used one and take care of it you should be able to recoup your initial investment. While you are becoming a proficient sailor, you can be researching bigger boats and determining exactly what would and would not work on your 'difficult' local waters.

Quote:
Thanks!
You're welcome

Enjoy your time on the water.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:15   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard CF jay80424.

There’s some germane comments on sailing the (Lake) Dillon Reservoir here:
Messing About In Sailboats: Sailing on Lake Dillon, Colorado

I wouldn’t worry, beyond what normal prudence dictates (everywhere), about conditions on the lake. Every body of water proffers it’s own unique”difficulties”; very rarely unsurmountable.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote