Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2011, 18:15   #31

Boat: 1973 Jay Benford "TOKETEE" 46'
Re: Hanna Tahitian Ketch Knowledge

I out-sailed light fiberglass boats (off the wind) with my old Tahiti with rags for sails.. Often. Including a W32 and an Atkin 32... She would sail herself for hours. BTW, I bet the 37' 38000 lb Hannah earlier in the post was a Carol design, Tahiti's bigger sister.
waterworldrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 08:02   #32

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

I like the Tahiti ketch and her progeny. Very shippy and salty, and comfortable as can be. I also do not thing they roll too badly, but I suspect they pitch badly, like any double-ender. So this may be of interest -

For what it's worth, I just looked closely at a steel Tahitana advertised for sail in the current issue (Oct 2011, web presentation of '48 North' magazine 48° North - The Sailing Magazine) . The asking price is $15,000, and here is my assessment.

The boat suffers from the following major issues:
Some serious rust areas on the deck around the cockpit.
A complete lack of an interior.
An installed 2 cyl Sabb with hand start capability, but with no cooling,
no batteries, nor electrics of any kind.
A huge I-beam (not to original plans) welded to the bottom of the keel that would generate enormous drag; and which may indicate stability issues; it would have to be removed.
Junk and grime everywhere below and on deck.
The mast is a light pole, not a yacht spar (she is cutter rigged).
The boat has not been sailed since around the early 90's.
The boat needs a sandblast and epoxy tar treatment inside and out, although the hull looks OK and is not rusting.
The rudder is homebuilt and has no hydro dynamic properties.
It is lying in the South Park Marina, surrounded very closely by other project boats, and really ought to be moved to a location suitable for serious renovation.

On the positive side, it comes with tools, and a ton of (probably obsolete) gear. The owner is a nice fellow, a retired deck engineer from the merchant marine, but is getting too old to continue the project.

I gave it an immediate pass. This boat is in "seriously deep project" mode. If I were young, skilled, broke, and eager with several years of free time - OK - I might ask for the boat for $100 and take it on. Fortunately, I am not in that position.
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 09:33   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Sounds like he is asking scrap metal price for her times 2..steel is at 16.00 a hundred pounds for sheer work..just sold 200 cars to the crusher but the price dropped a bit last week..try to buy for 10.00 a hundred and make some money then buy what you want...just a suggestion..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 10:08   #34

Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding

At $16/100 lbs it would bring at best $900 at the scrap yard. And it would cost about almost that to get it there. Because of the huge I-beam welded on below the keel, I also doubt there is any lead in the keel, probably just cement.

Boats like this end up poorly - once someone can't pay the yard bill, the yard owner will give it away for the yard fees, and then some sap will pick it up and probably throw a cot on it for a live aboard, and then the municipal authorities will crack down, haul it out, chop it up, and still lose a little money hauling it to the scap yard.

Steel boats and wooden boats - I love 'em, but neither live forever. Sure wish I could find a decent used aluminum sloop for the right price ...
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2011, 10:34   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
At $16/100 lbs it would bring at best $900 at the scrap yard. And it would cost about almost that to get it there. Because of the huge I-beam welded on below the keel, I also doubt there is any lead in the keel, probably just cement.

Boats like this end up poorly - once someone can't pay the yard bill, the yard owner will give it away for the yard fees, and then some sap will pick it up and probably throw a cot on it for a live aboard, and then the municipal authorities will crack down, haul it out, chop it up, and still lose a little money hauling it to the scap yard.

Steel boats and wooden boats - I love 'em, but neither live forever. Sure wish I could find a decent used aluminum sloop for the right price ...
Lord I thought it would have brought a small fortune..oh well..did you see the big aluminum boat on e-bay a few months back?dont know if it sold or not...she was a float in Calif...good luck...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 08:36   #36

Hi everyone, I am new to this and just trying to find out about some original boat plans I found. It is the Tahiti ketch by John g Hanna. This is actual plans pretty old, I came across them and not sure what the value if any is. I am not a boat expert by any means and have no other way of finding out what I have. Any help would be great
Mk1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 11:11   #37

Boat: Pearson 281

Welcome to the forum MK.
Plans for the Tahiti Ketch were published and made available by Popular Mechanics during the '50s I believe. they sometimes turn up in marine salvage shops (where I found a set for near nothing). I just passed these along to an organization that is working on establishing a wooden boat center here in Los Angeles Harbor.
tahiti_ketch : Tahiti Ketch
This is the website for an active Tahiti Ketch users group. Here is their ""frontispiece". Nice bunch over there.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 21:31   #38

Boat: Pearson 281

This is a photo from a fellow Dreadnoughter in the Bay Area. Those of us owned by Dreadnoughts fall between the Tahiti Ketch folks and the Westies. Bud Taplin was involved with Dreadnought Boatworks up in Carpenteria... he contracted with them to build some interiors for our boats though most of the 83 Dreadnoughts that were built were finished out by their owners, including mine. He has been pretty generous providing some insights into these boats and I appreciate it!

I couldn't resist posting this great pic of a Dread cutter named Paoha being returned to her former glory by John Olsen up north. Please excuse the thread hijack!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (5).JPG
Views:	1359
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	36391  
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:15   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk1978 View Post
Hi everyone, I am new to this and just trying to find out about some original boat plans I found. It is the Tahiti ketch by John g Hanna. This is actual plans pretty old, I came across them and not sure what the value if any is. I am not a boat expert by any means and have no other way of finding out what I have. Any help would be great
Hi, Mechanix Illustrated produced a set of plans for Tahiti. I recently saw a set for sale on ebay, but hesitated and it sold before I put in a bid. It went for $80.

I am a yacht design student and interested in studying John Hanna's Tahiti design. If these are a full set of plans, profile, half-hulls, table of offsets, layout and enough information that someone could build a boat from them then I'd like to buy yours. If anyone knows where a copy of Tahiti plans can be had, such as the Mechanix Illustrated set, please let me know. Originally these plans sold for $4. Thanks, Scott
CaptScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:25   #40

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.

You could try this:

Tahiti Rover Plans

Naval architect Merritt Walter conducted an analysis and re-working of the Tahiti /Tahitiana to produce his Tahiti Rover design. Complete plans for $29.95 so he's keeping the 'People's Sailboat' tradition alive and well. It certainly looks to be a desireable and thoughtful upgrade to the original design.

Good luck.
steve ripples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:27   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Scott.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 21:42   #42

Just today i have finally found a tahiti 33 that i am signing papers on tomorrow. The boat is really in pretty good condition but does need lots of tlc. The ketch design on this particular boat has been modified to a cutter/sloop configuration so im not really sure of the performance. This particular boat was built in 1998 and has a Hupei 20hp motor. Lots of beautiful mahogany interior as is the hull 1-1/8' mahogany. Im really excited to get to working on this new-to-me boat. Are there any others around? I have found several but most of those were in other countries. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much
Trey Olsen
Treyolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 21:57   #43

I am looking at a 1985 Tahiti ketch, says it’s a 39’ LOA I think I uploaded the pictures correct. It’s a steel hill ketch. Anyone have owned a steel Tahiti ketch?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	468D311F-104D-4893-9C77-516ADFCEC84A.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	260351   Click image for larger version

Name:	D853C4A3-650F-4527-9BF9-04518E9A3C64.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	260352  

Name:	EF18DD05-ED78-4E64-85D1-12554C46B5A1.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	260353   Click image for larger version

Name:	A6E7A399-4BD7-4CD8-B687-3CB3D7D5915B.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	260354  

Name:	57F64FEB-9EC8-4C96-81F1-3BCF7E8B126B.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	260355   Click image for larger version

Name:	C5F8F8A4-88E6-4D70-AF41-B4771E87F123.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	260356  

Privateid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:31   #44

Bump..
Privateid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2023, 18:44   #45

Boat: Hanna Tahiti 30 ft

Based in part on this discussion, Harry Heckel Jr.'s amazing story, and a lot of other research, I've gone and bought myself a wood-hulled, gaff-rigged cutter Tahiti with a "traditional" rig. I'm a novice sailor and this is my first boat. Yes,
I am crazy- thanks for asking! We'll see how it goes, but I'm happy so far.

Details in the thread linked below, and more recent pics, progress to follow.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nj-278747.html
slowlysailing is offline   Reply With Quote