Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 02:22   #1

Hanna Tahitian Ketch Knowledge

I think there is a boat out there that I really feel comfortable about.John Hannas "Tahitiana ketch".Some are sloops as well.What I would like is imput into the possible handling difference of steel,multi chine hull shape,verses the traditonal wooden hulls.

I would imagine that there would be a difference in handling but I just don't know what it would be.Thanks all.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:03   #2

Boat: Monk Jr 38 Martha Rose
Smile Tahitiana

Hi: Tahiti Ketches are notorious for rolling, and hard chines help prevent rolling, so I would think that the boat would actually be a little better than the round bottom wooden ones. I looked the boat up on the internet and it looks like a nice one. Dino
dinocarmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 15:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Do you mean this old-fashioned hunk of ... (wood)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4911pic.jpg
Views:	4577
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1121  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 23:54   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Do you mean this old-fashioned hunk of ...
Yes GordMay,That old fashioned hunk of....

But the newer ones all seem to be made out of steel,also creating HARD CHINES,hense my Question.

For 32',they sure have more room than a plastic fantastic,and a hell of a lot more class I love classic lines and the antique look about them.Granted I really know not alot about sailing boats,and,with all the differen't opinons most people on CF have,it seems that appeal goes a long way to happy ownership.Mudnut.
Old 02-05-2007, 00:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinocarmine
Hi: Tahiti Ketches are notorious for rolling, and hard chines help prevent rolling, so I would think that the boat would actually be a little better than the round bottom wooden ones. I looked the boat up on the internet and it looks like a nice one. Dino
Thanks Dino,I hope your not talking about the 180 roll and that ya may have meant ROLLY.

Yes they are nice looking boats,I have researched a lot in the past week,everyone being just a tad different which gives the design room for an owners personal touch to be plied.I have read from alot from people who are knowledgable on the Hanna's and have not heard of any apparent problem with them,unless speed be it.I'm not interested in racing and don't plan to spend my free time at the dock.Thanks Dino.Mudnut.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinocarmine
Hi: Tahiti Ketches are notorious for rolling...
Quite a few of these have been built over the years, and have been sailed just about everywhere, I've never heard anyone say anything about rolling.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:48   #7

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudnut
I think there is a boat out there that I really feel comfortable about.John Hannas "Tahitiana ketch".Some are sloops as well.What I would like is imput into the possible handling difference of steel,multi chine hull shape,verses the traditonal wooden hulls.

I would imagine that there would be a difference in handling but I just don't know what it would be.Thanks all.Mudnut.
Yo Mud,

these are quite attractive vessels, in a salty, traditional way. And many have circumnavigated, and can be found virtually everywhere there's enough water. However many are home-built, so quality varies immensely.

BUT!

Be prepared to go ***SLOW*** at least a considerable part of the time.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 00:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova
Yo Mud,

these are quite attractive vessels, in a salty, traditional way. And many have circumnavigated, and can be found virtually everywhere there's enough water. However many are home-built, so quality varies immensely.

BUT!

Be prepared to go ***SLOW*** at least a considerable part of the time.

best, andy
I could'nt agree more on ya input Andy,and trust me,I aint got the need for ***SPEED***. Mudnut.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efraim
Quite a few of these have been built over the years, and have been sailed just about everywhere, I've never heard anyone say anything about rolling.
Efraim,exactly,neither have I.I would imagine the old wooden built ones would be "Rolly by nature",given the round bilge.So would R/bilge steel boats as well.The ones I have been checking out are of hard chine design steel.Some have actually been multy chine as well.Mudnut.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:03   #10

Mudnut,
I've never heard of round bilge="rolly by nature", hard chine not so rolly. I would think that waterline, draft, beam and displacement would have more to do with motion than simply hull form.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 13:42   #11

i would think rolly would come about with the amount of ballast and the depth of the keel as in more modern designs, which is more or less an appendage attached to the hull. the hanna really doesn't have much keel appendage if at all. i under stand that a chine would reduce roll, but multi chine would not in my opinion make much dif. compared to round bilge wood or glass as far as this design goes.
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 00:46   #12

Efraim & mike d,

All taken aboard.Together you have given me an answer to my Question,as well as others,I'm so glad nobody has given me a whole pile of numbers and equations that wouldn't make any sense to me .Thanks, Mudnut.
Old 05-05-2007, 15:54   #13

Boat: Swanson 28
Tahitiana

Hi Mudnut, I am in the process of buying a steel multi-chine Tahitiana ketch down here in Tasmania....went for a brief test sail yesterday in 35-45knot wind. We motor-sailed under jib only (time was very limited) and were impressed by the boat's stability and light, straight steerability....will be going again with more time soon. Engine is a 4 y.o. Yanmar 32hp 3-cyl and runs very smoothly. Will keep you posted!
zodiac3813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 18:37   #14

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac3813
Hi Mudnut, I am in the process of buying a steel multi-chine Tahitiana ketch down here in Tasmania....went for a brief test sail yesterday in 35-45knot wind. We motor-sailed under jib only (time was very limited) and were impressed by the boat's stability and light, straight steerability....will be going again with more time soon. Engine is a 4 y.o. Yanmar 32hp 3-cyl and runs very smoothly. Will keep you posted!
Yo 3813,

your prospective new ketch sounds wonderfully seaworthy and well powered. I have the excellent Yanmar 3QM30, 3-cylinder engine in a 24000-pound boat, and can vouch for its' ability (San Francisco to Ventura in under 48 hours motoring with NO wind). It was available with a hand-start mechanism which mine lacks. A new spare electric starter costs $1000, so the hand unit is desirable. I bought a complete spare used engine mainly for the starter.

Good luck with your new boat purchase, survey and outfitting. Can you post a photo here?

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 19:26   #15

Boat: Swanson 28
tahitiana

Hi Terra! thanks, our purchase is subject to the sale of a 2-seat aircraft, but luckily the current owner of Wisp (the Tahitiana) is in no hurry and would like us to be her new owners (my wife Angie & I), as he built her and wants her to go to a good home. The yanmar does have a crank handle: unfortunately there is a section of floor which interferes with it's arc of movement! I might have to fix that. The boat is very traditional, I'll have a go at posting a photo.

Cheers, Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wisp sailing.jpg
Views:	3612
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1128   Click image for larger version

Name:	wisp mooring.jpg
Views:	4314
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1129  

zodiac3813 is offline   Reply With Quote