Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 10:08   #16

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49
Re: Generating electricity - water around the hull/keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carogan View Post
Do you have any sources or links you can share? I have only been able to find info on tow generators - it would be nice to read up on any developments!

Look to the Hydrovane people. they are rep a product now that is like a small electric outboard that generates a lot more power than a toed prop. Supposedly it can do it because the generator is under water and stays cool.

BTW they are great people and very helpful

Watt & Sea Hydrogenerator - Hydrovane
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 10:14   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Any "harnessing" of the water moving past a boat is going to SLOW IT DOWN...............
That's it in a nutshell.
Old 23-01-2017, 10:18   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
Look to the Hydrovane people. they are rep a product now that is like a small electric outboard that generates a lot more power than a toed prop. Supposedly it can do it because the generator is under water and stays cool.

BTW they are great people and very helpful

Watt & Sea Hydrogenerator - Hydrovane
Next thing we know, we'll have a generator that can be put on the transom that will generate enough electricity to power an electric motor to drive the boat. All we have to do is get it going in the first place.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:19   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The answer is, "manufacturers" know how to generate power from water flowing by the keel and know that it isn't workable for many reasons.

1. Adding something over, under or around the keel will significantly impact performance.

2. Deriving power from the water will be the same whether done at the keel or at the stern, assuming the equipment is fully submerged.

3. Anything around the keel will be much more exposed to damage from grounding, floating debris, etc.

4. Anything mounted around the keel will be difficult to access, repair, maintain, clear jams, etc.

Since a towed or stern mounted unit is better on points 1, 2, 3 and 4 then why make a keel or hull mounted unit?

By the way, if you're going to start a discussion on the internet you might want to adjust your attitude a bit or grow a thicker skin.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:25   #20

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Wow! This must "snarky reply day" ! The guy asks an honest question and is then is asked if he is a "Troll"! It seems to me under some conditions, it would be desirable to slow some sailing craft down. Especially multi-hulls. It seems to me that what the OP is saying is that not everyone is always interested in getting from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time. Maybe what he is proposing is not feasible, I don't know. But some of you seem almost offended by his inquiry.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Wow! This must "snarky reply day" ! The guy asks an honest question and is then is asked if he is a "Troll"! It seems to me under some conditions, it would be desirable to slow some sailing craft down. Especially multi-hulls. It seems to me that what the OP is saying is that not everyone is always interested in getting from point A to point B in the shortest amount of time. Maybe what he is proposing is not feasible, I don't know. But some of you seem almost offended by his inquiry.
Personally I was not offended by the inquiry but does seem the OP has been a bit snarky on his side as well as some of the replies.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:36   #22

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Another side to the same story. Sails and sailing aside, what about water flow when the boat at anchor? We seem to discuss all kinds of anchoring ideas and problems. What about the generation of power (electricity) by using the forces that act on the hull and keel while at anchor? I have no particular ideas, but it seems the OP and maybe a couple of others might.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:40   #23

Quote:
Wow! This must "snarky reply day" ! The guy asks an honest question and is then is asked if he is a "Troll"!
My take was a bit different. The OP asked a question. Then proceeded to flame any attempt at discussion. The nature of the question is, in itself, somewhat sophomoric.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:43   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Another side to the same story. Sails and sailing aside, what about water flow when the boat at anchor? We seem to discuss all kinds of anchoring ideas and problems. What about the generation of power (electricity) by using the forces that act on the hull and keel while at anchor? I have no particular ideas, but it seems the OP and maybe a couple of others might.
There are exceptions (tidal areas of rivers, cuts where tidal currents run, etc) but most anchorages there is little water flow around a boat to generate power. Wind and solar are better and more reliable sources for an anchored boat.

Even if anchored in an area of currents, for all the reasons in my previous post and stern or towed unit would be a better option.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Maybe you could hook up a canting keel to a hydraulic generator and produce power from rolly anchorages.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 12:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Maybe you could hook up a canting keel to a hydraulic generator and produce power from rolly anchorages.
Now you are talking. Tremendous forces generated from a floating object and the earth. (Bottom) I have seem many proposals of this idea, it has super potential.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:22   #27

Quote:
What the OP asked indicates that he slept through physics class in high school. It's a takeoff on a perpetual motion machine.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:22   #28

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The OP asked for those with more scientific knowledge to comment on his idea. They did so, and it was not supportive. He was unhappy with this.

Seems that we get a fair number of naive questions like this, and when those with the applicable knowledge reply, and it isn't supportive, folks get angry and use the "people used to believe the earth was flat" (or its like )argument to support the poster. An interesting phenomenon, but divisive and non productive.

I suppose that it is "human nature"!

Jim
Old 23-01-2017, 12:46   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
What the OP asked indicates that he slept through physics class in high school. It's a takeoff on a perpetual motion machine.
I don't know what post you are reading but it has nothing to do with perpetual motion.
Old 23-01-2017, 13:18   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The three major issues i see are...

1) I avoid those anchorages
2) Modern canting keels actually have a slight pitch to them, they don't rotate along the roll axis but a few degrees off to generate lift while canted
3) the maintenance would be massive. These things are designed to can't a couple of hundred times over their lifetime, Thur I guess them to power production would mean hundreds per day.

But assuming you solved all of those issues...

1) the amount of power available could be pretty high
2) the more power you generate the more the power production would attenuate rolling (alleviating 1 above)

My guess is it wouldbe very hard to solve the problems, but there might be a decent payoff. I wouldn't invest in it but I wouldn't argue it is a silly idea.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, hull, keel, water