Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2017, 20:55   #91

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)
Re: Generating electricity - water around the hull/keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
The Arfons were setting records through the 70's when engineers were using computers regularly. I don't think the OP expects there not to be some sort of trade off on speed. Maybe the OP is searching for "what you don't know that you don't know".
Yes, but definitely not when they started and entertained so many. Do YOU know if they used computers at any given point? If so, when? My bet is that they used slide rules. Remember too that prior to IBM's PC, computer time was very expensive and the programs were not generally available even if you could get the time. If I recall correctly, most programming was done in COBOL (business) or FORTRAN (science). And now I am going to do a Google search for them, and maybe contact one of my several still- alive racer pals who knew them and might have some information. Thanks for the prodding. I will post if anything develops.
Old 30-01-2017, 21:38   #92

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You do realize I wasn't knocking computers? ...
Sorry for misconstruing your comment; taken out of context, it sounded like "trudging uphill through the snow, both ways!".
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 22:18   #93

You can do a lot of things if you are willing to accept totally impractical:

- Your average passenger car (think Toyota corolla) will top out at around 110mph with maybe 120hp or pretty close to 1mph per 1 HP. It will typically run for tens of thousands of miles with minimal maintenance and is very useful for getting from A to B. It can take a family of four with luggage.
- A top of the line corvette will get you close to 200mph on around 450hp. or about 1mph per 2.25hp. Higher maintenance (they tend to eat tires and brakes) but fairly reliable. A couple with a suitcase and carry on is practical but soon after it reaches a limit.
- A Bugatti Veyron has around 1250hp to get to around 250mph or about 1mph per 5hp. Ultra high end sports cars are massively expensive and known to break down regularly. You are lucky to get 10,000miles without dropping a few thousand on repairs. It's particularly bad if you actually use that performance. Very impractical for anything but going flat out on a closed (and very smooth) roadway. Taking a golf bag or suitcase is an issue.
- The current land speed record is held by the "ThrustSSC" at 763mph with approximately 11,000hp or about 1mph per 14.5hp. Makes super cars look cheap and reliable. They come with a pit crew because they need that much maintenance and repair work done. 1 Person who fits in the cockpit is the limit.

It's the same general principal we are talking here. If you want to use a simple small towed generator to pick up 100-200w that can be completely removed from the water when not in use it's viable (though more easily and reliably generated with solar). If you want to start extracting power on the order of kilowatts, you start you have to start making major sacrifices and in theory if you throw all practicality out the window, you can generate very large amounts of power.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, hull, keel, water