Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 20:05   #16

Boat: Various
Re: FL Residents/sailors: Need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I love the fact she was sold to recover the dockage costs and they won't let the buyer remove it from the marina! Should have put that in the contract somewhere, unbelievable!
No, they just want an insured tow company. That seems reasonable. This isn't him moving it himself, but hiring a tow company and they require the company be insured. Either of the companies I mentioned would be.

I think the marina probably requires any people who come on the property to do work to show proof of insurance.

If it had been easy to move they wouldn't have sold it as they did. They just didn't want to risk a $50,000 salvage fee.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 21:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I love the fact she was sold to recover the dockage costs and they won't let the buyer remove it from the marina! Should have put that in the contract somewhere, unbelievable!
No no, i have to be honest, they were upfront about the insurance needed to move the boat out of the marina from the get go. Once she is out, they could care less. And believe me, they didn't receive anything close to the due fees'
Matter of fact, they got about 2 months worth back....a song... she was.

SeaWitch1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 21:28   #18

They would have given the boat away in exchange for assumption of responsibility for it. What was exchanged for the boat wasn't the money paid. It was more for the marina to pass the liability on to someone else. This has happened a lot at Stock Island in the Keys.

This is not to say it's a bad deal at all. Just to recognize what the exchange was really about. Spend the money, get it towed by a professional insured tow service, get it hauled out and then you can start making it into something.
Old 26-10-2014, 21:39   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
They would have given the boat away in exchange for assumption of responsibility for it. What was exchanged for the boat wasn't the money paid. It was more for the marina to pass the liability on to someone else. This has happened a lot at Stock Island in the Keys.

This is not to say it's a bad deal at all. Just to recognize what the exchange was really about. Spend the money, get it towed by a professional insured tow service, get it hauled out and then you can start making it into something.
Difference is, they were upfront from the get go. They wanted to free up the 50' slip, and get the boat out. I ended up dealing direct with a real sweetheart of an attorney. Assistant city attorney matter of fact. So everything is signed, and legal, with no surprises. Clear as Vodka, move boat by X date.

The price was nothing. Also, they want it out fast, so down i go to move it in a couple days. The boat is moldy inside. The paint is still protecting, surface mold only....So i need a few 3m mask's, some vinegar, bleach, scrubbers, and elbow grease... Can't wait!
Old 26-10-2014, 21:48   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWitch1939 View Post
Difference is, they were upfront from the get go. They wanted to free up the 50' slip, and get the boat out. I ended up dealing direct with a real sweetheart of an attorney. Assistant city attorney matter of fact. So everything is signed, and legal, with no surprises. Clear as Vodka, move boat by X date.

The price was nothing. Also, they want it out fast, so down i go to move it in a couple days. The boat is moldy inside. The paint is still protecting, surface mold only....So i need a few 3m mask's, some vinegar, bleach, scrubbers, and elbow grease... Can't wait!
Well, it's good they were open and honest so you could make a good judgment as to whether it was right for you or not. Abandoned boats are terribly expensive and problematic for marinas. Many of them are recoverable and salvageable but has to be someone willing and able to do it.

It's a bit like the ads for free puppies or free kittens. Nothing free about them. Shots, vet bills, food, litter (for cats), toys, pet deposits. But they turn out to be treasures and enrich lives of those who are willing.
Old 27-10-2014, 06:34   #21

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

To my knowledge there are only two Florida yards that allow unrestrained work on your own boat. One is in Jacksonville and I don't know the name of it. The other is Riverside Marina in Ft. Pierce. Titusville is about centered between the two. I just finished a one year restoration of a 35' Pearson at Riverside. If you choose to use Riverside, there are two different entities. As you drive in one is on the right and the other is on the left. I would suggest the one on the left. Very nice to deal with and the rates are reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 06:54   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I got the impression via PM even if he gets the engine running the marina will not let him move the boat as he has no insurance and likely will never be able to get insurance on a boat like this unless maybe it passes a CG passenger inspection or some other ridiculous standard.

You'll want to take that boat to either Green Cove springs or Glades in LaBelle. There is also a small yard in St Augustine you could use, but I know MANY people that have had billing problems with that yard.

Best of luck with her. It can't help but thinking of the Nina given the age, racing history and your budget vs ambitions vs knowledge shortfall.
Old 27-10-2014, 07:01   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Most of your requirements seem pretty simple.

- Tow. Call Seatow or Towboat US. May not be cheap but they are certainly insured.

- Insurance. I'm sure the marina and yard are primarily concerned about liability insurance in case you smash another boat or something. That should be relatively cheap and easy to get.

- Yard to work on the boat. May be a little tougher. Sorry I'm not familiar with yards in your area but I second the recommendation for Green Cove Springs on the St John's River. You might try searching on www.activecaptain.com for their list of yards in Titusville to see if any allow DIY.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 07:02   #24

I've been in the boat business a long time but I never heard of a marina not allowing a boat to leave because it doesn't have insurance. Because the bill is still outstanding yes, but you pay up and you can go. Does the marina own the boat?
Old 27-10-2014, 07:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I've been in the boat business a long time but I never heard of a marina not allowing a boat to leave because it doesn't have insurance. Because the bill is still outstanding yes, but you pay up and you can go. Does the marina own the boat?
City owned, yes. So i got'z to play by these rules. No problem on the tow, its 300-400 if not cheaper....I need to find the place to put her. Which I'm about to tackle right now. I will update once i find out.
Old 27-10-2014, 08:02   #26

Try Cracker Boy in Ft Pierce Fl. There is a great wood shop there also. They did an excellent job installing my teak decks and building my pilothouse style dodger.

Gary
roguejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 08:14   #27

All true, but if you want to do it yourself, it ain't happening at Cracker Boy!
Old 27-10-2014, 09:09   #28

Boat: csy 37

Green Cove Springs near Jax, and Indiantown west of Stuart.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 09:48   #29

Boat: Tashiba 40

If you could truck her to Green Cove Springs Marina - just below Jax. on the St.Johns River, They are a very accommadating yard for DYI'ers. Lots of space and the least expensive yard in Fla. Well worth the move. They have an excellent shipwright on the premises.
SAIL23692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 09:58   #30

Is the boat chained up? I don't get it.... how can the marina keep you from moving her? Just get someone to help and go move her... the question is ....where to?
I wonder if you could buy Sea Tow or other insurance then tell them you engine is bad and you need a tow to haulout and fix it?
There's a boat yard just north of the Bridge at Fort Pierce that seems to be pretty old school.... a lot of long term boats in there... but that's a bit too far from you even on the ICW.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail