Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 14:33   #91

Re: FL Residents/sailors: Need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Formica was invented in 1912 but plywood was first patented around 1865, although some forms of it go back much further. I wouldn't expect to find it in a 1937 boat but that's not so far away from the plywood PT boats of WW2.

But personally, I'd call sanding the interior a "priority zero" cosmetic job. Cleaning out the fuel and water tanks, checking seacocks and plumbing, lighting and electrical work, bilge pumps, surely there must be a longer list of more urgent things to do??

Of course that could also be because I just hate sanding. Seems to take forever and infuse dust into every pore when I do it.(G)
From what i read, Angelman built boats to a fairly high level. Not sure what woods are buried under the interior paint. I think wishing for some more mahogany is a pipe dream, but who knows!

All the other things you listed are phase two of my pre move list. So your right about it.

The reason for sanding the interior now (waiting for the paint/varnish for a few weeks) With the tools I now have, sanding it will take just a little longer then vinegar and water cleaning. Also, after she is sanded inside, i can spend some time watching her for any little leaks, while i do other things. I have two options, clean with water and vinegar, or kill two birds with one stone, sand/watch/dry.

At the same time I'm sanding her out, I will have someone come by and work on the Perkins also. It needs the air removed, everything else seems to be okay with her. Did new fuel filters, oil filter, some seals on the return fuel rail, she turns, has compression, spits fuel. Just ran out of time on the purging out the air in her. I expect she will fire up well once that is done.

The electric is fine as wine, Xanthrax Charge controller & Sine wave converter, shore power,
2 banks, on isolation switches, 4 12v marine battery's in bank 1 3 on bank two. Some of those battery's are bad or need a proper charge..I will be checking them also very soon. But there is some charge on them. All the exterior lights are also updated with Led's... Running, anchor, etc. Radar works, old but works, Older but good Garmin chart plotter works. Also has an old hand held Gps unit from Magellan, looks like a old box cell phone! LOL, I hope to get $300 for it, will take a burger and fries...

She is wired for a SSB also NICE, the head unit grew little feet and sprinted off the boat some how.....But the updated wires are all there, (I will be looking to buy a 700 series icom SSB soon) So the elec. is in good order.

Water and holding tanks seem to be new alum. (few years ago) I peeked into one of the water tanks, she was spotless. I assume the fuel tank needs cleaned and filtered, She is about .5 to .75 full. She holds around 80 gallons of fuel and 150 in water.
With the eye test, I think her tanks where enlarged a bit, water for sure, looks closer to 100 a side on water. Fuel looks around the size a 100-120 fish tank.

Thanks
SeaWitch1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 21:03   #92

Boat: CL52
Re: FL Residents/sailors: Need your help

update?
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 16:57   #93

Re: FL Residents/Sailors: Need your help

Update:

I'm working daily on the interior. I have the engine ready to crank over very
soon. She needed a lift pump. Mechanic coming in a couple days. She is cleaning up well. Lot's of work to do it. She seems to like it!

Couple photos of the interior,after 3rd clean up....only needs sanding and painting now, but that is down the road.

photo attachment not working will update later
Old 07-12-2014, 00:35   #94

coming along
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	93133   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views:	245
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	93134  

Old 07-12-2014, 08:26   #95

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I was a skeptic at first but it appears she is a gem.

Keep the updates coming.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:01   #96

Boat: CL52
Re: FL Residents / Sailors - Need your help

Wow. That cleaned up well.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:23   #97

Cool!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 19:20   #98

Today i did the bilge, sucked water out for disposal, put in a little fresh and a oil tootsie roll.

Then I spent 6 hours doing the back quarter of the boat interior. Again, used
green scrubber pads and vinegar. I'm going to strip paint and re=paint in a few months once i get north, so it was a 80% clean job. I also lightly scrubbed the trim, and hit it with some cheap spray wood cleaner. It took off the dirt and it looks better then i thought it would. So now the interior is looking better.

Long day, here is the galley. And my bed, i took the forward birth mattress
and stuck it in the salon birth. I'm 6'4 and it fits me well. I can roll around.
I'm going to get some good foam and cut it to fit these berths. They are big,
if you remove the board, they are true doubles. Dont think i'll ever use the forward double.

Nite
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (8).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	93396   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (9).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	93397  

Old 18-12-2014, 06:41   #99

Hey Sea Witch, Good Onya! Been following along and the recent update warmed my heart. Absolutely fantastic to see the Ol Girl powering up once again. Please keep us posted, especially with Pics, as there are a lot more peeps following and wishing you the best than you may think. Go get em!
Endless_Bobbins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail