Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 12:48   #1

FL Residents / Sailors - Need your help

I Just purchased Seawitch. She is in need of help. Sea Witch

I need to move her off her slip and on the hard for inspection. At this time she is in Titusville FL.

Here is what i need done on or before NOV 7th

I need a boat tow company to move her out of a Marina, this company needs to be INSURED. Will pay

I also need a person to come to the dock in a few days with experience/tools on Perkins 4-108 marine engines. Will pay

I need a place to put the boat as close to her location as I can, haul out.

Please suggest a yard that is will haul a old boat (carefully) and allow her to be on the hard a month or so while i do maintenance.

I don't require or wish to read anything negative about my trying to save her. I know shes a old wood boat. Anyone left alive, that likes to see old wood boats saved, please help me if you can.

This boat is not a total loss.....She was insured and surveyed in 2012. She is worth saving.
SeaWitch1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 13:36   #2

Re: FL Residents/sailors: Need your help

Thanks for all who are willing to help.

Seawitch

Old 26-10-2014, 14:18   #3

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag

She is a beauty.

Dot and John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 14:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
She is a beauty.

Dot and John
Thank you. She needs some cosmetic work now, her last owners left her on the slip in the photos without help........
Old 26-10-2014, 16:20   #5

Boat: csy 37

Why can't you haul out in Westland Marina?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 16:26   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I sincerely wish you good luck. I always enjoy seeing boats like that under sail.

Wood is Good.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 16:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Why can't you haul out in Westland Marina?
They wont let it stay on the hard. I can haul it for trailer transport out of there, but not storage. They are full of old boats, i guess they think this is another one.....I spoke to the owners, nice folks.
Old 26-10-2014, 16:30   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I do this sort of thing for a living, but do not presently have insurance. Not too far away, send me a PM to discuss. I do have a Caribe with a 9.9 we could hip tow it with a moderate distance.
Old 26-10-2014, 16:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I do this sort of thing for a living, but do not presently have insurance. Not too far away, send me a PM to discuss. I do have a Caribe with a 9.9 we could hip tow it with a moderate distance.
Need to have insurance for the city......Insurance to move the boat out of the marina....It's to assure no damage to the marina on exit....

Silly... but them the rules

If you have any ideas for me, send me a pm. If you can get a temp type insurance, I will pay the fee, and pay for the tow also, check into it.
Old 26-10-2014, 16:51   #10

Boat: csy 37

There is a "yard" on the opposite side of US1, across from the marina, near the motorcycle dealer. I know absolutely nothing about it except that there are some big sailboats stored there. You would have to get your boat trucked there, but its less than half a mile.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 17:45   #11

Boat: Various

Did you ask your broker? They should know the resources around.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 18:06   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"a yard that ...will ...allow her to be on the hard"

Bluntly, money talks. Any yard will allow you to PAY for dry storage, except for the fact that they are rightfully afraid you might abandon the boat and dump it on them. Sea Witch may be in Bristol condition and ready to cross oceans, but they don't know that. They do know that old wood boats often become derelicts, and if the owner doesn't have money, that's all the more likely.

I'd expect that any yard would take the boat, IF you addressed their financial concerns. That could mean insurance, or putting some money in escrow, or having a current survey done and simply showing the boat's in seaworthy condition with just engine work needed.

Properly maintained, a wood classic is a magnificent thing. But from the yard's point of view, the marina's point of view? They've seen too many old wood boats turn into monsters.

Same reason that the marina wants insurance before the boat is moved. If it breaks up at the dock, that's inconvenient but "just" routine salvage. If it breaks up underway...a waterway is blocked, access is harder, there's a chance of collateral damage to other vessels...

Again, this is not knocking wood boats. This is just saying they have good reason, statistically, to be very wary of old wood boats. A current survey by a qualified surveyor, and proof of financial responsibility (like insurance) will go a long way with businesses that consider your business to be risky to them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 18:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"a yard that ...will ...allow her to be on the hard"

Bluntly, money talks. Any yard will allow you to PAY for dry storage, except for the fact that they are rightfully afraid you might abandon the boat and dump it on them. Sea Witch may be in Bristol condition and ready to cross oceans, but they don't know that. They do know that old wood boats often become derelicts, and if the owner doesn't have money, that's all the more likely.

I'd expect that any yard would take the boat, IF you addressed their financial concerns. That could mean insurance, or putting some money in escrow, or having a current survey done and simply showing the boat's in seaworthy condition with just engine work needed.

Properly maintained, a wood classic is a magnificent thing. But from the yard's point of view, the marina's point of view? They've seen too many old wood boats turn into monsters.

Same reason that the marina wants insurance before the boat is moved. If it breaks up at the dock, that's inconvenient but "just" routine salvage. If it breaks up underway...a waterway is blocked, access is harder, there's a chance of collateral damage to other vessels...

Again, this is not knocking wood boats. This is just saying they have good reason, statistically, to be very wary of old wood boats. A current survey by a qualified surveyor, and proof of financial responsibility (like insurance) will go a long way with businesses that consider your business to be risky to them.
Your 100% right on all accounts, and fully understand the whys.

The Asst. City attorney made it very clear while i was in her office! HA! <nice girl btw!

What i need to do is get her out of FL, the capital of wood boat hate asap.

Annapolis will be the place, for the major refit work. The question I need answered asap, is the bottom condition good enough to sail/power her up the ICW in the spring....That will take a day of inspection, paint, I also need to inspect the through hulls, prop, etc....The problem is Time. I'm on a small window to get this boat moved...It is what it is!
Old 26-10-2014, 18:54   #14

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWitch1939 View Post
Your 100% right on all accounts, and fully understand the whys.

The Asst. City attorney made it very clear while i was in her office! HA! <nice girl btw!

What i need to do is get her out of FL, the capital of wood boat hate asap.

Annapolis will be the place, for the major refit work. The question I need answered asap, is the bottom condition good enough to sail/power her up the ICW in the spring....That will take a day of inspection, paint, I also need to inspect the through hulls, prop, etc....The problem is Time. I'm on a small window to get this boat moved...It is what it is!
Rest assured you are going to encounter the same rules and concerns in Annapolis. Marinas there want insurance too and the major tow and salvage companies are the same national companies.

I don't know if you're encountering problems simply because of the boat or because you don't want to comply with rules of the marinas and/or pay the amounts it will cost.

As to towing, Towboat US and Seatow have services all along the coast and they are equipped not only to tow it but to also add flotation if necessary to make sure it stays afloat while they do.

The purchase price of old wooden boats is low. The cost of bringing them up to usable standards is high.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 19:06   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I love the fact she was sold to recover the dockage costs and they won't let the buyer remove it from the marina! Should have put that in the contract somewhere, unbelievable!

Tags
sail