Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2019, 07:46   #61

Boat: Newport 28II, 28'
Re: First, and possibly my last, boat

I have a 28’ Newport I use for day sailing and the occasional overnight or week-end jaunt. I also sail single-handed. I’ve had the boat for over 20 years and like it, but wouldn’t live aboard it. There’s very limited storage for food, clothing, extra sails and other gear. The galley is small, and, as someone said, tanker-age is also limited. The head is tiny with a hand-held “shower.” Two batteries. My wife wouldn’t overnight on it for all the tea in China. I’m unfamiliar with the boats you’re considering, but if I were to go the live-aboard route, I’d definitely step up, especially if you think you’re going to have “company” in the future.
Over Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 07:51   #62

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

My wife and I could do it on a 30 footer as we do not argue very often, but standing headroom is very important for us and that would eliminate a BCC. And we also cannot figure out how we sailed for 40 years without a pilothouse, but that is just us I suppose.I guess the racing boats we used to own would have looked and been stupid with a pilothouse.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:16   #63

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

[QUOTE=Carltonboyce;3036931]Hi,

Longtime lurker and newbie sailor.

I'm looking to buy my first, and possibly only, sailboat. I'm drawn to the classic looks and over-engineering of the Bristol Channel Cutter 28 and Nor'sea 27. I've read 20 affordable sailboats and 20 small boats, which is where the idea for a BCC comes from.

Looking to live on it for the next few years; only me at the moment but it would be nice to have space for someone else because who knows what the future might bring?

Since you love the classic lines, and blue water capable....you may consoder a Westsail 32....especially if you plan on living aboard....lots of storage.lots of room for 32...over built. Many will disagree but with the right sailsand good skipper...they are good sailing boats...that are faster than many give them credit for
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:31   #64

A few items..
Can't quite tell how much sailing you have done. Do you get seasick or have motion sickness? Usually can be helped with drugs , certain foods or seabands (reg or electronic) on wrists. You should know this beforehand. I new a couple who had day sailed occasionally, bought a 35' sailboat and one of them had seasickness often after a few days on boat.
Do you like the heel of a monohull sailboat? Some people find it fun while other hate or fear it. What might be ok for a few hours can be tiring after some days. A catamaran doesn't have the heel but does have more jerky motion, but only a smaller catamaran is in your budget.
Getting from a dinghy onto a sailboat without a sugar scoop of some sort is more difficult. Shorter people find it all the more difficult.
drcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 08:36   #65

Boat: Sigma 36

[QUOTE=Cruiser2B;3041826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carltonboyce View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first, and possibly only, sailboat. I'm drawn to the classic looks and over-engineering of the Bristol Channel Cutter 28 and Nor'sea 27. I've read 20 affordable sailboats and 20 small boats, which is where the idea for a BCC comes from.

Looking to live on it for the next few years; only me at the moment but it would be nice to have space for someone else because who knows what the future might bring?

Since you love the classic lines, and blue water capable....you may consoder a Westsail 32....especially if you plan on living aboard....lots of storage.lots of room for 32...over built. Many will disagree but with the right sailsand good skipper...they are good sailing boats...that are faster than many give them credit for
Be very wary of enthusiasts claiming their model”is faster than many give them credit for”. It is often the many whom are more accurate in their assessment!

OK my post in complete ignorance and tongue firmly in cheek!
GBR134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:05   #66

Boat: Islander 36

Take your time and do your research. It took some time for me to find a boat that I wanted some would would have been just fine but if your look you will find the one that works for you. For me I found an Islander 36 in decent condition $15000 with a new motor, and as in all boats it needed some work and is still below your budget.
If it were me I would keep my mind open and look at a much wider range, who knows you might find a diamond in the rough that just needs a little elbow grease.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180331_133927.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	205561  
ibsurfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:28   #67

Carlton, ignore The trolls on this site! Some people just can’t resist being negative. Think all your comments are reasonable, although, I would suggest, before buying, get some actual experience on a couple of different boats. 27 feet is very small for live aboard.
Captain Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:41   #68

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR134 View Post

Be very wary of enthusiasts claiming their model”is faster than many give them credit for”. It is often the many whom are more accurate in their assessment!

OK my post in complete ignorance and tongue firmly in cheek!
Ignorance....completely agree! Like i said in the right hands they sail well and fast..i am an enthusiast but also a realist...they are not known for speed and cant go to weather all that well. But as stated...with the right skipper and a good suite of sails...many have won or placed quite well .
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 09:58   #69

Boat: Valiant 40

Buy an older larger boat and spend the year or two going through its systems repairing and upgrading needed as you learn their foibles while local cruising. Crew on offshore racing boats to learn what it's like out there. Having lived aboard for many years I can assure you that anything under 40' would not provide a satisfactory platform. I couldn't recommend anything more than a Valiant 40 or a ketch rigged Celestial 48 both of which I have owned for many years and can be found within your budget although in need of serious TLC. The TLC is the very experience that you will need to learn your boat and the offshore crewing what you need to learn your capabilities.
svmargi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:16   #70

Boat: Cal 2-46

Your choice of the BCC is sound. Maybe on the small size but read Lyn and Larry Parry on similar boats. Also good on size.
I’ve had a 20ft BCC type. 30ft Herreschoff type, a 38ft Full keel Stewart we sailed around the Sth Pacific (brilliant NZ boat designer) and now have a Cal 46 ketch. No criticism of any of my earlier boats. But the Cal has space and offshore speed and is very sea kindly.
My point is, dive in. Don’t spend any more years thinking and reading. Start with the BCC. You won’t regret it. But keep an open mind about what next.
For me. 28ft offshore is a bit too tough. Whilst I can single hand the Cal 46, it is a ketch and that makes things easier.
Good luck.
Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 10:25   #71

I have a Allied luders 33 in Honolulu priced to move!
Aloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carltonboyce View Post
Hi,

Initially for sailing around Europe but sailing to America would be a helluva achievement so blue water capability is important. Budget is £50,000.

Has anyone got any alternative suggestions please?

Thanks!
Old 23-12-2019, 11:14   #72

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
Ignorance....completely agree! Like i said in the right hands they sail well and fast..i am an enthusiast but also a realist...they are not known for speed and cant go to weather all that well. But as stated...with the right skipper and a good suite of sails...many have won or placed quite well .
A Westsail 32 took 2nd place overall on corrected time (and first in it's division) in the 2010 Single Handed Transpac Race which is a 2,120 mile race from San Francisco to Hawaii

https://www.sfbaysss.org/oldsite2013...tries.html?f=8

https://www.sfbaysss.org/oldsite2013...010Results.pdf
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 11:53   #73

Boat: 1966 29' Gulf Island Sloop

I would consider an Alberg 37. It was classic lines, is roomy and comfortable and is designed to " sail to the 4 corners of the earth"

I owned an Alberg 30 and can attest to their quality, good looks and toughness.

In my view the 37 is the ultimate cruising boat and can be purchased for a reasonable price within your budget. The trick would be to search and search until you find one that somebody has cared for and babied. I have seen them around. Yes, some have been neglected but others are in fantastic condition!

Good luck with your search"

Peers
westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 11:59   #74

Wow, the one major thing I’ve learned from this thread is how to block trolls!
Captain Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 13:00   #75

Boat: Pearson Vanguard 32

That book of 20 that'll take you anywhere is a good start. I wound up with a Triton. Just happened to be available locally. They can be had inexpensively and there's plenty of head room and space to settle into, plus they're easily handled and wonderful in a blow. Sailed it for fifteen years before moving to a Vanguard. Thinking of going back. Fellow I sold it to is looking to trade back in a few years.

Per learning, start by using your sailboat as a motor boat until you're comfortable, then set a jib, see what happens. After a little while you'll be amazed with what you've learned.
sscoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, grass