Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2010, 08:33   #14

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Quote:
achieve both a chemical and a mechanical bond which is superior to a merely mechanical bond.
- - And then you have the problem of gel-coating the finished repair of the deck. Polyester gel-coats will not adhere to an epoxy repair. Color and texture matching is nearly impossible. You end up with two different and obviously separate parts of the cabin top. In other words the repaired sections stands out like a sore thumb.
... For small, out of the sun repairs like the keel, where an epoxy bottom paint will be applied over the repair epoxy is convenient, quick and adequate. But for major hull and deck repairs it is not appropriate nor recommended when you want a restoration to blend with the original.
I see your point, thanks. Below water line for smaller jobs OK, above water line it has problems.
But after having resin dripping on me, and fiberglass drooping on me under the keel, then trying to get the stuff off of me, I would still recommend epoxy for any overhead work. Or hire it out.
Epoxy cleans up with vinegar. And then you smell like a salad...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, mast