Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 20:36   #151

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Excuse me sir, don‘t wanna lowball but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Maybe it is best for seller to negociate thru email if possible to keep emotions kind of remote????
In a lot of cases you will only be dealing with the yacht broker. Won't meet the owner until closing----if at all. The seller won't tell you all that's wrong with the boat so don't worry about hurting his feelings.
I've had some brokers refuse to write up some of my low ball offers. I tried to buy a boat just for the 2 year old diesel. Well, it's a eight year old diesel now----probably locked up from rust now, waiting for a buyer that probably will never happen. Sellers need to be loosened up with low ball offers for their own good.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 02:44   #152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I have used that strategy to flip houses. It works. . . . .
You've used shill buyers and fake offers in a real estate transaction? You might want to ask your lawyer about this before trying it again. That's fraud -- both a crime and a tort, so if you're found out, you could get it from both a prosecutor as well as the seller. This guy got 20 months in jail: https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndil/pr...l-bidding-scam And more: https://www.nyccriminallawyer.com/fr...shill-bidding/
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 04:43   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You've used shill buyers and fake offers in a real estate transaction? You might want to ask your lawyer about this before trying it again. That's fraud -- both a crime and a tort, so if you're found out, you could get it from both a prosecutor as well as the seller. This guy got 20 months in jail: https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndil/pr...l-bidding-scam And more: https://www.nyccriminallawyer.com/fr...shill-bidding/

Nope. I did nothing illegal. The offers, not bids, were real. I was prepared to execute the deal.
Old 29-12-2017, 06:15   #154

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Nope. I did nothing illegal. The offers, not bids, were real. I was prepared to execute the deal.
It's none of my business, and I don't care, but you wrote "I've used that strategy" to a post describing using "fake offers" to jack up the price of something being sold. More of a busybody than me might forward that post to the D.A. in your county. But you can relax -- I'm not such a busybody. But I'm posting all this to be sure that anyone else reading this, who might be tempted to try the same thing, is not tempted to think that it's acceptable behavior. It's a crime, full stop. It's also deeply dishonest and unethical -- disgusting behavior.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 29-12-2017, 06:51   #155

Quote:
It's none of my business, and I don't care, but you wrote "I've used that strategy" to a post describing using "fake offers" to jack up the price of something being sold. More of a busybody than me might forward that post to the D.A. in your county. But you can relax -- I'm not such a busybody. But I'm posting all this to be sure that anyone else reading this, who might be tempted to try the same thing, is not tempted to think that it's acceptable behavior. It's a crime, full stop. It's also deeply dishonest and unethical -- disgusting behavior.
it's amazing what some people consider OK these days.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 06:56   #156

Quote:
Nope, it's not a crime to make an offer on a boat. Feel free to forward my post to whomever you see fit.
Old 29-12-2017, 08:41   #157

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Nope, it's not a crime to make an offer on a boat. Feel free to forward my post to whomever you see fit.
I don't know what you did, and I don't care. But for anyone else reading this -- making FAKE offers on boats -- as was explicitly said in the post you quoted, saying you had done the same thing -- for the purpose of jacking up the price on something -- is a crime which can get you jail time. A word to the wise. If you think it's OK because it's "hard to prove", all I can say is -- I went to law school with some amazingly ingenious prosecutors. All it takes is for the victim to figure out or even just guess what happened, and get the right D.A. on the job.
Walt Whitman
Old 29-12-2017, 10:36   #158

Quote:
I don't know what you did, and I don't care. But for anyone else reading this -- making FAKE offers on boats -- as was explicitly said in the post you quoted, saying you had done the same thing -- for the purpose of jacking up the price on something -- is a crime which can get you jail time. A word to the wise. If you think it's OK because it's "hard to prove", all I can say is -- I went to law school with some amazingly ingenious prosecutors. All it takes is for the victim to figure out or even just guess what happened, and get the right D.A. on the job.
Nope. I made low ball offers to get the price down, not jack the price up. They were REAL offers, just at a nickel on the dollar.
Old 29-12-2017, 10:40   #159

Boat: Leopard 45

I think it depends on the boat.. I just sold our Cyclades 39.3 and the final price was 6% lower than asking... I had tons of lowball offers, after a week of posting my ad I didn't bother to answer anymore... I didn't employ a broker. So much for my experince!
LotNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 10:42   #160

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...Sellers need to be loosened up with low ball offers for their own good.
Ridiculous.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 11:53   #161

Boat: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Ridiculous.
I've seen plenty of sellers who were oblivious to how absurd their ask price was. I doubt lowball offers are somehow more effective on them than no offers, but I don't think the basic idea is dismissible as ridiculous.
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 20:21   #162

No buyer needs to be loosened up, they are free to ask whatever price they want to. The market will soon tell them that their price is off simply by not getting any offers. The other thing is never assume you know what the selling circumstances are. Sometimes a guy is getting older and his Son wants him to sell the boat because he worries about him so the old man puts a price high enough he knows no one will pay, gets his Son off his back and still allows him to sail. Many men do the same thing with their wives, so you just never know. Just move on and throw your lowball offerl onto some other person until you find a victim.
Old 30-12-2017, 01:17   #163

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
No buyer needs to be loosened up, they are free to ask whatever price they want to. The market will soon tell them that their price is off simply by not getting any offers. The other thing is never assume you know what the selling circumstances are. Sometimes a guy is getting older and his Son wants him to sell the boat because he worries about him so the old man puts a price high enough he knows no one will pay, gets his Son off his back and still allows him to sail. Many men do the same thing with their wives, so you just never know. Just move on and throw your lowball offerl onto some other person until you find a victim.
I'm not clear on this. Are you suggesting you should or shouldn't make a low ball offer on the wife?
Old 30-12-2017, 06:57   #164

Boat: CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch

This is a great thread with so much valuable content.... so, naturally, I thought I would gum up the works and offer my own two cents..

I love the buying process, price discovery, negotiating and coming up with the best solution, which is everybody getting what they want. My firm belief is that the best deal is the deal in which everyone involved gets exactly what they are looking for, if not more. I believe that a true, honest and ethical negotiation process leads to this outcome, almost every time.
If I can expand a bit, which, of course, I will do, the exchange of money or other assets is usually the least significant part of a sale. Many folks will take great issue with that, as their is so much attention paid to "price".
"How low will the seller go?"
"What's the value of my 'baby'?"
I have found, in my limited experience that people are often doing something else when they are in the "buying" or "selling" process.
Moving to a new home... Sell the old house.
Dreaming of a new adventures... shop for a boat
You get the idea.
Therefore, I look over the price when shopping. It is the least of my concern. I never know what price an item will sell for, but I do know that it will be somewhere under the initial asking price. If the seller is not open to negotiation, I simply walk away. I walk, because a seller who will not negotiate has some agenda that I want nothing to do with. The win win for all parties in that case is to let me walk away and let the seller keep his or her stuff.
Without negotiation, that is, dialogue, we cannot discover what the true win-win is. The seller needs to find out what a win is for me, the buyer, and I need to figure out what a win is for the seller. This requires open, completely honest communication. It is a pretty intimate affair and intimacy requires lots of talky talk.
As Steve Schiffman famously said, (paraphrasing) we work with people who work with us. Simple. If someone does not want to work and talk, it is not possible to find the best solution.
Of course, I have hundreds of practical examples of this process. I will not write them here, but if anyone would like to "get learned up" on this process, then PM me. You can tell that I love to talk about it. Any excuse will do....
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 07:54   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I'm not clear on this. Are you suggesting you should or shouldn't make a low ball offer on the wife?
That's funny! I guess I should be reading my posts more carefully before pushing send. That said I'm sure some guys would pay you to take their wives, lol.