Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2020, 17:58   #91

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Corded or Cordless Tools, Which is Best

The only problem with cordless is mfgs keep changing the battery connections. So far all my corded tools still plug into the wall.
Old 13-09-2020, 19:00   #92

Wow, this blew up! I think I'll go with cheapies initially especially for stuff that won't get used much after splashing. Was planning on several months cruising my local region before setting sail for distant horizons but I'm starting to think more time getting experienced in familiar territory would be wise. My experience traveling on land tells me it's best to be completely ready before going to remote places or developing countries.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone
Heathenly Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 19:10   #93

Boat: Van Der Stadt Seal 36

Definitely Cordless if you can afford it; we are in the marine business and it is a pain having to carry extension cords, gensets etc. Cordless saves time, not as messy etc. BUT remember to keep the batteries charged up all the time :-)
Milwaukee cordless is the way to go
CaptWil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 07:09   #94

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

In this discussion of corded vs. cordless, I’d like to point out that the NTSB report on the Concepcion dive boat fire was issued yesterday. While it said that the source of the fire was indeterminable, much anecdotal information from the survivors mentions “sparks flying” around the cell device charging stations. Elsewhere in this forum is a narration regarding the loss of S/V Rhapsody this past spring East of Corpus Christi due to fire and explosions from Li-Ion battery packs. I currently have two such packs on my boat. I am seriously re-thinking transport, use, and storage of them. They are classed as hazardous materials for transport on aircraft and passenger vessels. At the very least I’ll stay away from no-name replacement battery packs. Li-on batteries have been implicated in various airplane fires, including as a possible culprit in the Malaysia 370 disappearance.
Old 17-09-2020, 08:24   #95

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Nice thinking. I use a bunch of batteries that I charge in my kitchen and I am going to move my chargers to a shed today. Slightly more inconvenient but one less worry mostly for my pets when they get left at home alone. We are still at a little under 20 feet above sea level about 2 1/2 minutes away from the Cascadia fault as the tsunami flies. But you get what you pay for.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 08:55   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
The real test of your cruiser generosity is when a clueless and ill prepared fellow cruiser (and his clueless mates) what to "borrow" your two cherished and carefully guarded 8 inch long carriage bolts which you are keeping to someday fix, if needed, your rudder head, and the wrenches to install them, so they can repair theirs and commence their trip to Australia while you are heading to Hong Kong.

But I did it, of course never to see them again.

I hear you. A friend pulled into his slip at a marina in the San Juans after traveling up from just north of Seattle. A second friend who knows us both came over and asked if I had a belt tensioning tool. "Of course," I said. "Well, John needs it," said Les, so I gave it to Les who ran it over to John.

Now John has this strange habit of bailing out, usually before anyone else is planning on leaving. He once left from a planned two week cruise after two days, and drove home to Salem, Oregon, to, argh, work! We called that the BAIL Cruise.

I was truly afeared for the safety of my belt tensioning tool.

Sure enough, as he was pulling out and waving farewell, I wandered over and waved bye bye to him, figuring he'd return it the next time around.

At least Les has a sense of humor: as John disappeared from view, he reached into his pocket and gave me the tool.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote