Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2016, 13:55   #1

Cordless tools - corrosion

Are there any cordless tools that don't rust the same instant that touch the deck? I decided that I will not go cheap this time, I found a lot Makita recommendations but how they do in boating environment?
SubmarineThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 04:30   #2

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Cordless tools - corrosion

The best approach is to use them, make sure they are dry and then put them in a plastic closable bag, vacuum preferable. If no vacuum, put in an oxygen eater. Without O2, they won't rust.
Old 30-04-2016, 05:09   #3

Makita used to be very good tools, now mostly overpriced home owner grade with a few specific high end specialty tools. Being said I've been happy with the Ryobi I keep on board, cheap enough that won't cry if I drop it overboard.
I'm a contractor who has used just about every brand of tool since the late 80's, gave up on Makita in the 90's. My old worm drive circular saw is still going strong, the new version weighs half as much......
Thinking about adding a Ryobi impact gun to the on board tool collection, same battery as the drill.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 08:51   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

After our previous cruise resulted in several tools rusted almost beyond repair, I understand the issue. I never had a problem with my battery powered tools but think I was just lucky. I am going to try some anti-rust prevention products that I got online, specifically ZeRust NoRust cabinet mats and "chips". I plan to bag my electric tools with either a piece of the mat wrapped around them or some of the chips put inside and sealed up (freezer heavy duty kitchen bags). My other tool boxes I will put in pieces of the toolbox drawer liner and see how that goes. They won't be completely sealed but I suspect it will help. Time will tell.

Most of the tools that rusted were wrenches and sockets. I should have kept them sprayed with something but I guess overtime some got overlooked. I hate ruining a tool that way.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 09:10   #5

It seems to me most cordless stuff has little to rust. I wouldn't worry about it if you take just a bit of care. I gave up on Makita years ago. Batteries were terrible and too expensive. Worst battery life of any cordless stuff I've ever had. I had a bunch of Makita stuff including the little trim saw etc. I ended up throwing it all in the trash a while back. Maybe they are better now. My current cheapo cordless drill (Skil) has lasted 3-4 years and still going strong.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 10:05   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Spray them with a Lanolin spray and ignore the rust unless it impedes their function. Rust never sleeps.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 12:04   #7

Boat: PT-11

None of them will last indefinitely. We got good use out of our Dewalt tools, but when they started dying, we went with Ryobi interchangeable heads. A lot more compact and we didn't need all the Dewalt power anyway.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 12:47   #8

Boat: Cal 2-27

I have a number of Ryobi items aboard, and have never noticed any rust. These, along with the Dremel, have been aboard for about two years.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 13:39   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubmarineThom View Post
Are there any cordless tools that don't rust the same instant that touch the deck? I decided that I will not go cheap this time, I found a lot Makita recommendations but how they do in boating environment?
Hi Thom,

I haven't had much issue with power [or hand] tools rusting because it is all about stowing, maintaining, and preserving for me- a part-time user of tools.

There was a similar recent thread [but regarding hand tools] where I shared how we have had success avoiding rust and corrosion over the years with hand and power tools, as well as spare parts, etc.

My strategy is to get what you like and stow/preserve/maintain them appropriately. [We use the DeWalt 20VDC tools with good good battery life so far...]

If they get doused with water, a little WD40 will displace the water internally and externally... Then wipe down and continue using, or stow.

Cheers!

Bill

Tags
corrosion