Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2018, 06:50   #166

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
up here they prefer CCR or believe it or not Pearl Jam.
I can get "on board" with some CCR for sure over Enya. Pearl Jam, well I will have to pass on hahaha.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 07:17   #167
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
I can get "on board" with some CCR for sure over Enya. Pearl Jam, well I will have to pass on hahaha.
what can I say puget sound dolphins like local music.
Old 27-05-2018, 10:05   #168

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
up here they prefer CCR or believe it or not Pearl Jam.
Are you sure they like it or are they tryin to ram you? Somewhere in that old thread I think someone mentioned being rammed by a whale when they played disagreeable music!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 10:13   #169
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Are you sure they like it or are they tryin to ram you? Somewhere in that old thread I think someone mentioned being rammed by a whale when they played disagreeable music!
yep they frolic all around the boat and swim with me when I'm sailing across port madison bay all the time.
Old 27-05-2018, 14:42   #170

Quote:
Oh crazy, I was just reading your blog two days ago. Small world, I think James Baldwin was helping you do some stuff in GA. Beautiful boat.
Thanks 406! Yes we spent two years in GA, we lived on land and had jobs while slowly working on the boat. Do you have a particular plan for this boat?
Columbia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 15:56   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia29 View Post
Thanks 406! Yes we spent two years in GA, we lived on land and had jobs while slowly working on the boat. Do you have a particular plan for this boat?
Your welcome. Our plan is to get her completely refit and back into the water in CA and once we get a handle on sailing her, cruise it a coastally. As we see it now It might be fun to sail it down the coast and make our way to the Bahamas, but who knows.

We also considered sailing CA, then trailering back across the country and taking it to Florida and sailing from there south. But for now were focusing on putting her back into the condition we want. Its taking a lot of work and we expect a lot more money, but were loving the progress.

It's nice to see your boat has taken you from down the east coast, to the islands and all the way to Panama. A couple folks in San Diego where we picked up the boat suggested she just be for day sailing since she is "so small" but just goes to show you how much you can do with her.

What have you folks discovered about the Columbia in all the miles you have logged? Looks like the big disadvantage to these boats is limited stowage but I can see much other than that but have zero experience. Anyway we love the boat and cant wait to drop her back into the water and start the next chapter of adventure in her.
Old 27-05-2018, 16:26   #172
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Your welcome. Our plan is to get her completely refit and back into the water in CA and once we get a handle on sailing her, cruise it a coastally. As we see it now It might be fun to sail it down the coast and make our way to the Bahamas, but who knows.

We also considered sailing CA, then trailering back across the country and taking it to Florida and sailing from there south. But for now were focusing on putting her back into the condition we want. Its taking a lot of work and we expect a lot more money, but were loving the progress.

It's nice to see your boat has taken you from down the east coast, to the islands and all the way to Panama. A couple folks in San Diego where we picked up the boat suggested she just be for day sailing since she is "so small" but just goes to show you how much you can do with her.

What have you folks discovered about the Columbia in all the miles you have logged? Looks like the big disadvantage to these boats is limited stowage but I can see much other than that but have zero experience. Anyway we love the boat and cant wait to drop her back into the water and start the next chapter of adventure in her.
I love hearing that our 29 ft boats are to small for anything but coastal .
Tell that to my islander bahama 24 . She has happily made 2 rounders to Hawaii in her day.
25 years ago the average cruiser was 30ft. Now its way to small for anything .

Wouldn't bother me to take mine around the horn. Yours either when your done .
You should start with a few months here getting to really know her then run down the coast to Mexico with it.

If your not careful you may find yourself in Fiji.
Old 27-05-2018, 16:32   #173

Quote:
I love hearing that our 29 ft boats are to small for anything but coastal .
Tell that to my islander bahama 24 . She has happily made 2 rounders to Hawaii in her day.
25 years ago the average cruiser was 30ft. Now its way to small for anything .

Wouldn't bother me to take mine around the horn. Yours either when your done .
You should start with a few months here getting to really know her then run down the coast to Mexico with it.

If your not careful you may find yourself in Fiji.
Don't threaten me with a good time! It would be awesome to hit the South Pacific for sure.
Old 27-05-2018, 16:36   #174
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

People these days see more and more Wants as if they're Needs.

Plus ever growing risk aversion.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 17:01   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
People these days see more and more Wants as if they're Needs.

Plus ever growing risk aversion.
So true. Matter of fact I was having a discussion a few minutes ago at work regarding community risk reduction. San Clemente has some restriction or ordinance requiring all residential homes to now include fire sprinklers which while well intended is costly. Then we got into the costs associated with all these things intended to keep us safe and paid for by the gov (tax payers) and how ineffective and invasive many of the programs are.

Anyway, its been interesting. When will people take personal responsibility for themselves again? We as a country were less taxed and more free under King George!

Honestly we are at that cross roads with this boat and are curious how much we can do/stand to do with her. I have zero doubt she is far more capable of doing voyaging than we are. Set up smartly I am sure we could sail it round the world. But we would be told how crazy we were for even mentioning this by most people I would imagine.
Old 27-05-2018, 19:27   #176
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
So true. Matter of fact I was having a discussion a few minutes ago at work regarding community risk reduction. San Clemente has some restriction or ordinance requiring all residential homes to now include fire sprinklers which while well intended is costly. Then we got into the costs associated with all these things intended to keep us safe and paid for by the gov (tax payers) and how ineffective and invasive many of the programs are.

Anyway, its been interesting. When will people take personal responsibility for themselves again? We as a country were less taxed and more free under King George!

Honestly we are at that cross roads with this boat and are curious how much we can do/stand to do with her. I have zero doubt she is far more capable of doing voyaging than we are. Set up smartly I am sure we could sail it round the world. But we would be told how crazy we were for even mentioning this by most people I would imagine.
bring her on over my marina is cheap. And you can check out the mods done to the Stephfen Ulysses. Hopefully by then I will have the engine in. We can race around Bainbridge island for fun.
Old 27-05-2018, 19:43   #177

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:

I certainly didn't sail around the world on an Alberg 30 with no electronics or head. That would have been crazy. I most certainly didn't sail that boat around the horn either. I would of had to been insane. No AIS, no EPIRB, no VHF, no Depth finder, no radar, no water maker, no lights, no autopilot, no GPS...that would be suicidal.

Oh wait...I did do that. And I'd do it again....almost. I refuse to give up my LaVac.
Old 27-05-2018, 20:11   #178

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-186590.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 20:42   #179

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
And if you walk in the woods a tree might fall on you.

Best to stay at home with your mother to keep you safe.
Old 27-05-2018, 20:57   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelMe View Post
I certainly didn't sail around the world on an Alberg 30 with no electronics or head. That would have been crazy. I most certainly didn't sail that boat around the horn either. I would of had to been insane. No AIS, no EPIRB, no VHF, no Depth finder, no radar, no water maker, no lights, no autopilot, no GPS...that would be suicidal.

Oh wait...I did do that. And I'd do it again....almost. I refuse to give up my LaVac.
Wow that sounds like quite an experience. You must be crazy hahaha, at least that's what "they" thought of you. You should post up a picture of the Alberg, love the look of those boats.

Tags
columbia, refit