Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 11:27   #151

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia29 View Post
The portlights are Beckson's correct. We have one quarter berth on Starboard, 6ft long by maybe 2.5ft wide. On port side there is an enclosed bulkhead that separates the cockpit locker from the chart table.

We usually sleep in the dinette, wife and I, the V berth is merely storage and the quarter berth is for offshore passages. If we head for latitude sailing we would have to rearrange the quarter berth to accomodate a wood stove for heating purposes, it seems to be the only possible spot, but that is not sure yet. We will see!
Very cool layout. Where are you all working on the boat, west coast? Do you have a build or refit thread?
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 11:48   #152

wow so tried to source Teak locally, clearly a joke. Ended up we needed to order it online. I know Teak isn't cheap so I was prepared to shell out some cash. So I get what I want into the cart, ehh not to bad about $300 bucks then I see the shipping and about fell out of my chair. Almost the price of the wood, $260 or about that!

Thank goodness I wont likely ever redo it when its all done. The original Teak still looks great, so hopefully our add ons last another fifty years or so.
Old 26-05-2018, 11:50   #153
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
wow so tried to source Teak locally, clearly a joke. Ended up we needed to order it online. I know Teak isn't cheap so I was prepared to shell out some cash. So I get what I want into the cart, ehh not to bad about $300 bucks then I see the shipping and about fell out of my chair. Almost the price of the wood, $260 or about that!

Thank goodness I wont likely ever redo it when its all done. The original Teak still looks great, so hopefully our add ons last another fifty years or so.
did you already order the teak ? If not let me know what you need I gots lots just laying around.

Also edensaw is in my backyard.
Old 26-05-2018, 11:56   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
did you already order the teak ? If not let me know what you need I gots lots just laying around.

Also edensaw is in my backyard.
I called Edensaw and told them what I wanted they were super helpful. But never got back to me on the shipping quote to our fedex hub, odd. Anyway I already ordered the teak ply from another supplier and the larger boards. We are in need to the ply now since a carpenter is building the cabinets as soon as we get the wood.

BUT, if you have some smaller teak I can use to frame in the oceanaire screen for the lewmar hatch I would gladly pay you for it and the shipping.
Old 26-05-2018, 12:08   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I called Edensaw and told them what I wanted they were super helpful. But never got back to me on the shipping quote to our fedex hub, odd. Anyway I already ordered the teak ply from another supplier and the larger boards. We are in need to the ply now since a carpenter is building the cabinets as soon as we get the wood.

BUT, if you have some smaller teak I can use to frame in the oceanaire screen for the lewmar hatch I would gladly pay you for it and the shipping.
just need basic measurements . And I can have nick bring it your way .
Bignickmontana bought my Spencer and he is from Montana and still visits his dad in billings all the time.
Old 26-05-2018, 12:10   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

you do realize its cheaper to drive out and pick it up here than have it shipped .
You could also try uship a load board for us to fill small spots on our trailers.
Old 26-05-2018, 13:31   #157

Quote:
Very cool layout. Where are you all working on the boat, west coast? Do you have a build or refit thread?
We are in Panama, the country, beginning the refit #3. First one was when we bought it 5 years ago in New Bedford MA, second (the most extensive) in Brunswick GA. And now we are doing few more things here in Panama.
I don't have a thread, but I collected some of the projects on my blog:

Columbia 29 refit – La possibilità di un'isola
Columbia29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 17:03   #158

Quote:
just need basic measurements . And I can have nick bring it your way .
Bignickmontana bought my Spencer and he is from Montana and still visits his dad in billings all the time.
its about 27" x 27" for the frame
Old 26-05-2018, 17:05   #159

Quote:
you do realize its cheaper to drive out and pick it up here than have it shipped .
You could also try uship a load board for us to fill small spots on our trailers.
I think that's about a 12 hour drive, Id rather pay shipping. with two kids and two dogs that means two days both way. My time is worth more than that haha
Old 26-05-2018, 17:06   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbia29 View Post
We are in Panama, the country, beginning the refit #3. First one was when we bought it 5 years ago in New Bedford MA, second (the most extensive) in Brunswick GA. And now we are doing few more things here in Panama.
I don't have a thread, but I collected some of the projects on my blog:

Columbia 29 refit – La possibilità di un'isola
Oh crazy, I was just reading your blog two days ago. Small world, I think James Baldwin was helping you do some stuff in GA. Beautiful boat.
Old 26-05-2018, 20:11   #161

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
But do not use mat. It has little strength. Easiest way to make it strong and use less layers is biaxial 1708. It is a sewn roving with mat on one side. It is epoxy compatible also as most mat isn't to be used with epoxy.

Here is a diagram:
Just an FYI, when I did this to my old boat I did not grind down the hull around the hole as this shows. I cannot see a good reason to do that. I wanted to keep the thick edges for their strength. (Sorry West System, though I did use your product!) It was many years ago but I believe I sanded out a 6x6" square, maybe bigger, and laid in 4 or 5 layers over the 2" hole on the inside as I recall, maybe more, and that was overkill. IMO the hull does not need to be fared on the inside. I painted on the epoxy and let the dry fabric soak it up each layer. Then on the outside I filled the hole with marine-tex and gave it a couple layers of cloth, about 4x4" I think. Never a problem and never thought of it again. The only way I can imagine that plug coming loose is if a whale happens to hit the hull with its tail in just the right spot. Or if I dropped a heavy pointed object right on the patch from the inside. Pretty rare occurrence. There is no flex in our hulls where the thru-hulls are... or anywhere else for that matter. With my current thru-hulls I capped them and filled them with silicone... if I ever need them again I'll dig out the silicone.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 21:20   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Just an FYI, when I did this to my old boat I did not grind down the hull around the hole as this shows. I cannot see a good reason to do that. I wanted to keep the thick edges for their strength. (Sorry West System, though I did use your product!) It was many years ago but I believe I sanded out a 6x6" square, maybe bigger, and laid in 4 or 5 layers over the 2" hole on the inside as I recall, maybe more, and that was overkill. IMO the hull does not need to be fared on the inside. I painted on the epoxy and let the dry fabric soak it up each layer. Then on the outside I filled the hole with marine-tex and gave it a couple layers of cloth, about 4x4" I think. Never a problem and never thought of it again. The only way I can imagine that plug coming loose is if a whale happens to hit the hull with its tail in just the right spot. Or if I dropped a heavy pointed object right on the patch from the inside. Pretty rare occurrence. There is no flex in our hulls where the thru-hulls are... or anywhere else for that matter. With my current thru-hulls I capped them and filled them with silicone... if I ever need them again I'll dig out the silicone.
Interesting info. After talking to NewHaul I think I will keep the raw water intake for the now gone head and use that for the water maker. I will however get rid of the exit hole for the marine head since I cannot think of another use for it with a composting head.

The West Systems repair seems quite involved size wise, but I have no experience with this kinds of stuff so I will learn as I go. Hadn't considered the silicone idea.
Old 26-05-2018, 23:55   #163

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Kinda depends on how much room you’ll need for the composting head too. Don’t think one will fit in mine without some, well I was going to say unusual surgery, but even then I don’t know how it would fit. Need some measuring.
One thing I was going to mention since I’m on the boat tonight listening to some tunes on a Bluetooth speaker, before you cut too many holes in the paneling behind the settees or in the v- berth, those chambers will make even cheap speakers sound really good if you mount car speakers in there. Oh, and btw whales and dolphins really like Enya I’ve heard for some reason. There’s a thread about it here somewhere. Something else to stash in the memory bank for when you get out here!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 01:29   #164

Quote:
Kinda depends on how much room you’ll need for the composting head too. Don’t think one will fit in mine without some, well I was going to say unusual surgery, but even then I don’t know how it would fit. Need some measuring.
One thing I was going to mention since I’m on the boat tonight listening to some tunes on a Bluetooth speaker, before you cut too many holes in the paneling behind the settees or in the v- berth, those chambers will make even cheap speakers sound really good if you mount car speakers in there. Oh, and btw whales and dolphins really like Enya I’ve heard for some reason. There’s a thread about it here somewhere. Something else to stash in the memory bank for when you get out here!
Enya huh, who would have guessed!
Old 27-05-2018, 06:14   #165
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

up here they prefer CCR or believe it or not Pearl Jam.

Tags
columbia, refit