Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2022, 14:42   #1

Columbia 26 Mk II - Possible Purchase

Before I proceed, I just wanted to let you know that I am new to CruisersForum and this is my first post.

I have recently come across a 1968(?) Columbia 26 Mk II for sale - and at a generous price. If I proceed with this purchase, this would be my first purchase. There are a few things that I was wondering about.

- How much could I expect to pay for a marine survey on this? (I know, it varies from place to place and from company to company,)
- Will a marine survey tell me absolutely everything wrong/okay with it? There are some things that I would like to fix that I can see above the waterline with my naked eye.
- This particular one has an outboard well: are these produced in the factory, or aftermarket? If aftermarket, can this be reversed? would it be advisable to reverse it?
- Modifications on a sailboat of this age? I am talking running rigging and possibly upgrading to a roller furling. Standing rigging looks like it could be refreshed, as well. For the roller furling, I was thinking of upgrading to a genoa. Whether I go with roller furling and a genoa or not, it will need sails as the previous owner seems to have been in the process of putting a new mainsail on it but ultimately didn't. The headsail seems to be missing on this as well.
SailsCall78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 23:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Columbia 26 Mk II - Possible Purchase

Owned a '69 as my first 'bluewater' boat. They came with a plug for the outboard well. If you pull the motor without inserting the plug water will slop out of the well sailing in lumpy seas. As long as you can live with that, the additional drag of the opening and the cockpit sole drains work. You could make up plug using the well as a mold or have one made when the boat is hauled. I would keep the well, it made motoring offshore way safer for the engine as didn't have to worry about the pitching of boat submarining the motor. I used to muscle the engine in and out of the well, stow it in a cockpit locker and use the plug everytime I went out. That was 50 years ago and wouldn't want to attempt at my experienced age.

A survey would be a total waste of money on a boat of this size and age. This is a checklist that would help you evaluate the boat. https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...ed-boat-buying Believe there is also a do it yourself book out there and googling 'Buying a used sailboat' would turn some additional help.

Things I'd be concerned with are the condition of the keel bolts, age of the rigging and condition of the sails. You can take the engine to a shop if it doesn't run or runs poorly to get an estimate of cost of repair or buying new. 5-10hp outboards aren't bank breakers but you don't want the surprise of rebuilding or buying a replacement unless it's built into the purchase price.

I beat the crap out of my Col 26-2 sailing between the Islands in Hawaii. The channels are brutal going west to east with wind against current waves if the Trades were honking. The boat pounded badly going to weather and hull would oil can in the channel seas. The flexing apparently isn't a great worry as there are a bunch of them still sailing here after 50 years of fighting the channels. Had to cross the Molokai Channel to get from Oahu to the lee side of Molokai which was typically hard on the wind into vertical seas up to 10'. and 15k trades. Once into Molokai's lee sailing was a pleasure. Return trip was a downwind surfing sleigh ride which was total hoot.

Didn't like the handling of the boat. Anything closer than a close reach the boat would heal in the strong gusts, the rudder stall and result in an out of control round-up. It was so bad that I avoided sailing closer than a couple of boat lengths of other boats fearing I'd ram them after coming within inches of doing it once. I pretty much sailed with just the 150% genoa and dropped the main going to weather in the 15k trades that could gust to 30k in a blink because of weather helm/rudder stalll issues. In lighter conditions wasn't a problem but those were seldom what's seen in Hawaii other except the lee sides of the islands. Also boat had the infernal roller reefing boom so reefing the main was a waste. Didn't find out about slab/jiffy reefing till after I sold the boat which would've made use of the mainsail a lot more practical. You'll have to have a main built for it and add a couple of clocks and cleats to the boom if it hasn't already been set up for slab reefing. The boat was fun to daysail but had to be steered constantly that got old on trips between the islands.

Would go with a 150% genoa as the boat would stand up to that sail into the 15k wind range with the main dropped or deeply furled. A working jib would fill out the headsail suit. If you are buying only one headsail might downsize to a 135% genoa. Go with a 2 reef point main with fairly deep reefs.

I was a novice and decided on the C26-2 strictly on interior volume. For a 26' boat there's a lot of room below. Cruised between the islands with as many as 4 guys on board though some chose to sleep on deck when anchored out. Comfortable for me and a girlfriend. I actually lived aboard part time splitting my living arrangements with a VW Camper Van as the Marina didn't allow living aboard but didn't hassle me about sleeping in the van parked in their lot. Made a number of long weekend or 2 week long 'cruises' to Molokai, Lanai and Maui in the two years I owned the boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 13:39   #3

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Rover is correct on all counts. One important note is if it is in fresh or salt water. Wear on freshwater fiberglass boats is generally much less severe. But look closely for water damage. If it has been in salt, the rigging will need close inspection.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 20:56   #4

My main use would be day sailing and Catalina trips.
SailsCall78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 21:12   #5

There are some excellent comprehensive checklists online for DIY surveying. A professional marine surveyor is only good for satisfying your insurer IMO. I paid a guy to survey my boat before I bought it and he missed a ton of serious issues.

All about marine surveys and checklists

Check out the above URL. Do your own survey. You need to learn what to look for anyway as you're going to be the skipper and need to know how to recognize issues before they become life threatening.✌️�� Good luck. Also, don't buy a boat without first sailing it. You might absolutely hate how it sails.
Notfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 22:30   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Also, don't buy a boat without first sailing it. You might absolutely hate how it sails.
While I do agree with this advice, the OP is gonna find it hard going since the boat has no sails as of now.

Actually, this boat sounds as if it is in such poor repair and equipment inventory I would suggest looking further... much further!

Jim
Old 16-02-2022, 22:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
While I do agree with this advice, the OP is gonna find it hard going since the boat has no sails as of now.

Actually, this boat sounds as if it is in such poor repair and equipment inventory I would suggest looking further... much further!

Jim
Yep! I have a similar sized boat with ancient sails and the new ones will cost as much as the boat, lol
Notfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia, purchase