Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 11:58   #211
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Haaaa Good looking CSY 44 , the diference is in a 25 to 30 stiff breeze i can sail full main and jib and still doing between 7 to 8 knts with a angle of heel about 25
Isn't there a CSY thread somewhere? I thought this one was about Hunters and Catalinas?

Ralph
Old 28-09-2014, 11:58   #212
cruiser

Quote:
Haaaa Good looking CSY 44 , the diference is in a 25 to 30 stiff breeze i can sail full main and jib and still doing between 7 to 8 knts with a angle of heel about 25 when that Hunter with the same conditions is fully reefed down and bouncing around the waves, lets be honest, you never see in the speedo more than 8 knts or perhaps 9 with luck , so i can compare that hunter in terms of speed with any other production boat around, dont count rough weather where the csy 44 can lift the stickers in your hunter preety easy ...
Yeah. Okay. Sure.

You go seek out the rough weather to justify your heavy boat. I'll hang out and snorkel.

Also maybe you should teach this guy to sail his CSY 44 like you do:

Blown Down in a 44′ CSY

Quote:
The first couple of squalls were a raging success. We got up above 6 knots for a while...

...The 36,000-pound CSY 44 instantly buried her rail and began charging along on her side, water splashing against the cabin windows, and rounding up uncontrollably.
I any case, those are the ratings. And this thread is about Hunters and Catalinas.

Enjoy your CSY. They look like fine boats. I just had absolutely no interest in one.
Old 28-09-2014, 15:29   #213
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post

Back on topic....where's JTSmith? Anything new at the docks? Give us sumpin.

Ralph
Stay tuned. He's workin' it.

Hey, we're going to try to get down next weekend. I'll give you a shout. I'd love to hear about your adventures.
Old 28-09-2014, 15:30   #214
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Haaaa Good looking CSY 44 , the diference is in a 25 to 30 stiff breeze i can sail full main and jib and still doing between 7 to 8 knts with a angle of heel about 25 when that Hunter with the same conditions is fully reefed down and bouncing around the waves, lets be honest, you never see in the speedo more than 8 knts or perhaps 9 with luck , so i can compare that hunter in terms of speed with any other production boat around, dont count rough weather where the csy 44 can lift the stickers in your hunter preety easy ...
That tells me the CSY is seriously under canvassed or overweight. Let's face it, it's easier to reef and slow down than wish your boat had more sail area or was lighter in a light wind. But I do like the CSY 44
Old 28-09-2014, 15:45   #215
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Hey Ralph, I think you left multihulls out of your list of opinionated forums!
I'm afraid I'm stuck with our Hunter until I can buy a nice, big, cat. Say...a St. Francis 44. Enjoy your new cat, and the cruising ahead. Say hi to Barnacle Bill for me when you hit Boot Key.

Ralph
Old 28-09-2014, 15:49   #216
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm stuck with our Hunter until I can buy a nice, big, cat. Say...a St. Francis 44. Enjoy your new cat, and the cruising ahead. Say hi to Barnacle Bill for me when you hit Boot Key.

Ralph
There are tons of people out there that would love to be "stuck" with your Hunter and to have enjoyed the experiences that y'all have!
Old 28-09-2014, 15:50   #217
cruiser

Quote:

Ralph
It's funny you say that. My next cruising boat will be a multi. No doubt.

As for my next racing boat...just wait. You won't believe this one.
Old 28-09-2014, 15:53   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Just removed nearly a whole page of useless and pointless "discussion" including some of my own. Stay away from the personal insults and demeaning remarks please guys. Otherwise I shall have to put me little mod cap on again and get me pencil sharpened.

Coops.
Old 28-09-2014, 15:56   #219
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
My next cruising boat will be a multi.
As you probably recall, I sailed on a 46' cat with i2f from Florida to Colombia. Definitely a nice ride.

Ralph
Old 28-09-2014, 16:01   #220
cruiser

Quote:
As you probably recall, I sailed on a 46' cat with i2f from Florida to Colombia. Definitely a nice ride.

Ralph
That's right. I'd forgotten about that. I sure miss that dude. Did his wife get the boat sold?
Old 28-09-2014, 16:13   #221
RTB

I don't know, but hope so. We're out of touch with her these days. No replies to my emails. Hopefully, she's back in the Philippines with her family.

Ralph
Old 28-09-2014, 17:12   #222
cruiser

Quote:
I don't know, but hope so. We're out of touch with her these days. No replies to my emails. Hopefully, she's back in the Philippines with her family.

Ralph
I hope so too. See you soon.
Old 28-09-2014, 17:15   #223

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Some people make statements of subjective opinion as though it was fact by stating it as a declarative certainty. I wasn't attacking you personally. Just wanted to point out that if you have an opinion, it's best to state it as such and do so correctly if you want to be credible.

Reminiscent of the comments by a few written as to convey knowledge of the subject while spelling it " lightening".

This is the internet. Always consider the credibility of the source...
You are attempting to use the fallacy of poisoning the well by saying my grammar is incorrect so my opinion must be wrong as well. My point was clearly stated, and the only thing you found to discredit me was grammar. LAME.

I don't have anything against somebody who buys a hunter, or any boat, and actually goes out of the slip frequently. More sailing is great! Sailing is a highly technical endeavor, and I know there were a few hunters that were decent racing boats, but for the most part a hunter is built like an RV and is dumbed down for sailing. There was an abomination of a sailboat on our last dock that was a hunter, it's mast was like a big utility pole, because it was unstayed. Ugly as hell and had all kinds of limitations because of the way it's rigged. Hunters typically have underpowered rigs because they are designed for people who don't know how to sail, that's their target demographic.

I've never been on a Hunter I would ever consider owning. From first hand experience they are built cheaply, they are designed with form over function in mind, and I don't like the form, I don't like how they're rigged, and l don't like how they sail. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, and I'm sure every Hunter owner feels like their's is the exception, but hands down if all you had to go on was the make, I would take a catalina over a hunter every time.

I don't really care if you love hunters and think they're great. That doesn't affect me one bit. Go out and sail, have a great time. They're great if you aren't a very good sailor, you're disabled, older, or just don't want to work that hard.
Old 28-09-2014, 17:31   #224

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I've owned one Catalina. I now own a Hunter - one that rates 102. That's a pretty fast RV. I'll try to keep the beer cold while we wait for you to get here in your real boat.

(PS - Catalinas are fine boats, but let's keep it real.)
If you're on the west coast let's race. If you're not, I'll be sure to PM you and let you know how bad we beat all the hunters in next years HA-HA.

Look at the results from the 2013 HAHA.
9 Catalinas finished
5 Hunters finished
Catalina beat hunter in 2 out of 3 classes

Here's to keeping it real
Old 28-09-2014, 17:37   #225

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

You seem to have missed the point and then write a few paragraphs proving it.

Unstayed mast? Hunter never made such a rig.
Designed for people who don't know how to sail? Ridiculous. And offensive.
They're great if you aren't a good sailor? So tell me how well you know my or anyone else's sailing experience.

Did you take offense to the "wallower" reference as implying a good boat?

This is getting to be a comedy... Albeit embarrassing.
Closed Thread

Tags
catalina, hunter