Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 16:32   #196
cruiser

Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne View Post
I have heard more complaints about Hunter than I have for Catalina.
So therefore Catalina is the probably the best of the two.
We all have. And I still bought a Hunter after owning a Catalina. My second choice was a Beneteau. I didn't look at one, single "bluewater boat". Absolutely no interest.

Seriously, both Hunter and Catalina are great boats and will take you virtually anywhere you want to go.
Old 27-09-2014, 17:37   #197

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne View Post
I have heard more complaints about Hunter than I have for Catalina.
So therefore Catalina is the probably the best of the two.
That's the problem with hearsay (and the internet).
Old 27-09-2014, 18:54   #198

Boat: Chris Craft Roamer 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Cool on using hank on jibs. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you knew to up size the forward stay one size to allow for wear and tear on the stay caused by the hanks sliding up and down and twisting around the stay under load. That's how it was done old school.
Yep, we did. Also replaced the shrouds with new. In theory the Bergstrom & Ridder rig can break a shroud and the mast won't come down. But the rig was original and we didn't want to chance it so we replaced it and rolled up the old cables and stowed them for emergency.
Old 27-09-2014, 20:41   #199

Catalina.

Emacs.

And the curly-brace goes AFTER the \n
Old 27-09-2014, 20:46   #200

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

We see a lot of Catalina's and a lot of Hunters, and 9 out of 10 hunters observed under sail will not have their sails trimmed properly.

Disclaimer: I've owned 2 Catalina's, and if you gave me a Hunter I'd sell it and put the money towards a real boat, not a water RV.
Old 28-09-2014, 04:17   #201

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
We see a lot of Catalina's and a lot of Hunters, and 9 out of 10 hunters observed under sail will not have their sails trimmed properly.

Heh heh. I feel a blow a'coming... the wind be freshnin' mon. Oh yeah mon, here it come:

Disclaimer: I've owned 2 Catalina's, and if you gave me a Hunter I'd sell it and put the money towards a real boat, not a water RV.
Dang! that's going to leave a mark ya can't buff out. Grab those life jackets guys and gals, the spit and spittle is going to hit the fan. [A couple of owners] are going to have their way with you, Autumnbreeze! This oughta be good. Maybe epic. Maybe like that new video where the 3 orcas nail the tiger shark and bite his fins off. (Probably was photoshopped cuz ya can't trust anything you see or read by the clowns on the internet.)

Edited out certain names to be nice. My middle name is nice.
Old 28-09-2014, 06:26   #202

Quote:

"Catalina's is possessive for Catalinas. Hope your new Hunter comes with a dictionary
Old 28-09-2014, 07:22   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Seriously, both Hunter and Catalina are great boats and will take you virtually anywhere you want to go.

Seriously, define "great."

Great does not equal adequate. Great does not equal pretty good at a price point. Find me an authoritative reference (not an internet post by an owner) to either Hunter or Catalina as a "great sailboat." According the the dictionary (which we are supposed to reference according to a prior post) great means "remarkable in magnitude, degree or effectiveness" or "preeminent or eminent." Or did you really mean, like yeah, dude, that movie was great.

I've seen books on sailboats and sailing and I don't recall any references to these boats being great. Can you admit that Catalinas and Hunters are not among the great sailboats ever produced. They may be adequate for your purpose and may be a serviceable sailboat, but that does not make them great.
Old 28-09-2014, 07:36   #204
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maj75 View Post
Seriously, define "great."

Great does not equal adequate. Great does not equal pretty good at a price point. Find me an authoritative reference (not an internet post by an owner) to either Hunter or Catalina as a "great sailboat." According the the dictionary (which we are supposed to reference according to a prior post) great means "remarkable in magnitude, degree or effectiveness" or "preeminent or eminent." Or did you really mean, like yeah, dude, that movie was great.

I've seen books on sailboats and sailing and I don't recall any references to these boats being great. Can you admit that Catalinas and Hunters are not among the great sailboats ever produced. They may be adequate for your purpose and may be a serviceable sailboat, but that does not make them great.
Like I said. They are great boats. That's authoritative enough when it's coming from me.

Beyond that, like I've said elsewhere, when a Hunter 49 can comfortably come through an F10/11 off Cape Horn - the debate is dead. That's as "bluewater" as one can get.

Now as to "the greatest ever produced" why would I care about that? They're just great.
Old 28-09-2014, 07:38   #205

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
"Catalina's is possessive for Catalinas. Hope your new Hunter comes with a dictionary
I don't understand why you would personally attack me for making a comment about my opinion of a sailboat, but thanks for proofreading my posts, and I'm glad you were able to connect the dots and figure out what I meant.
Old 28-09-2014, 07:44   #206
cruiser

Quote:
We see a lot of Catalina's and a lot of Hunters, and 9 out of 10 hunters observed under sail will not have their sails trimmed properly..
Honestly, I don't doubt that. As most people know, one of the reasons there are a lot of Hunters out there is because they are really spacious and comfy down below. This appeals to a much broader market than non-spacious and un-comfy down below. So Hunters are probably the first boat for a lot of people. They'll learn to trim their sails.

Quote:
I've owned one Catalina. I now own a Hunter - one that rates 102. That's a pretty fast RV. I'll try to keep the beer cold while we wait for you to get here in your real boat.

(PS - Catalinas are fine boats, but let's keep it real.)
Old 28-09-2014, 08:27   #207

Quote:
I don't understand why you would personally attack me for making a comment about my opinion of a sailboat, but thanks for proofreading my posts, and I'm glad you were able to connect the dots and figure out what I meant.
Some people make statements of subjective opinion as though it was fact by stating it as a declarative certainty. I wasn't attacking you personally. Just wanted to point out that if you have an opinion, it's best to state it as such and do so correctly if you want to be credible.

Reminiscent of the comments by a few written as to convey knowledge of the subject while spelling it " lightening".

This is the internet. Always consider the credibility of the source...
Old 28-09-2014, 09:16   #208

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Hey DADDY, define fast!!

Old 28-09-2014, 11:32   #209
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Happy to. Let's start with the CSY 44:

Fine looking boat for sure. But not very fast. It has 4 more feet LOA than my H40 and rates 135 (the only place I could find it rated here.).

On the same rating card, my H40 rates 96 (102 in the USS rating card). Obviously quite a bit faster than the CSY 44.

Now, though that's impressive, it's not the 36 rating of the Beneteau First 40, but it's better than the Catalina 40 and the same as the Catalina 42.

That's how you define fast. The next thing to do is learn how to sail it to its rating.
Old 28-09-2014, 11:47   #210

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Haaaa Good looking CSY 44 , the diference is in a 25 to 30 stiff breeze i can sail full main and jib and still doing between 7 to 8 knts with a angle of heel about 25 when that Hunter with the same conditions is fully reefed down and bouncing around the waves, lets be honest, you never see in the speedo more than 8 knts or perhaps 9 with luck , so i can compare that hunter in terms of speed with any other production boat around, dont count rough weather where the csy 44 can lift the stickers in your hunter preety easy ...
Closed Thread

Tags
catalina, hunter