Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2014, 08:01   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Catalina or Hunter?

Of those three, probably the Hunter reason is you haven't talked about anything negative about it, and I think it's a much "bigger" boat isn't it?
Old 26-09-2014, 08:01   #167

The C36 bulkhead issue is neglect of the chainplates. A friend of mine redid his complete bulkhead and wrote the repair up on the C36 website.

C34 - hmm, why do think I'd even like that boat? Fried electronics are only the possible tip of the iceberg. You'd have to go through all the rest of the entire electrical system to assure yourself that things are fine.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 26-09-2014, 08:08   #168

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The C36 bulkhead issue is neglect of the chainplates. A friend of mine redid his complete bulkhead and wrote the repair up on the C36 website.

C34 - hmm, why do think I'd even like that boat? Fried electronics are only the possible tip of the iceberg. You'd have to go through all the rest of the entire electrical system to assure yourself that things are fine.

Good luck.
Thanks, Stu. I was thinking the same thing. Now I'm down to two.
Old 26-09-2014, 08:13   #169
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
Okay. After a week of wandering around a very squally Sunshine State, I've got it down to three.

The first is this Catalina 36:

smart-search-results - Massey Yacht Sales & Service

I like her a lot she feels good in the gut. Obvious issues: Some previous/possible current leakage on the port side chain plate above the settee. Visible corrosion. Leaky starboard side port. All of which has resulted in the cabin cushions needing recovering. I am concerned about the chain plate. Also, she does not have A/C.

The second is this Catalina 34:

Used 1988 Catalina C34, Belleair Beach, Fl - 33786 - BoatTrader.com

Well loved. Private seller. I really like the guy and the boat. Issues: Mast took a lightening strike in April. Electronics fried. All batteries replaced. New instruments purchased, but not installed.

The third is this Hunter 40:

1989 hunter legend sailboat for sale in Florida

Well equipped. In good shape. And I've read the survey that was completed a month ago when the boat was under contract. Short version: "Above Average Condition"

They all show a tad rougher than the pics on their listings, but are close.

There they are. What do y'all think?
Well - since you know I own a 1989 Hunter 40 (and used to own a Catalina 27), you probably know where I come down on this. Hunters rock. And anyone who thinks different is a m...ahm...a silly-billy. Heh-heh.

Catalina 34 Lightning Rod: Wouldn't touch it. Aside from the electronics, too many things that can get whacked in a strike. Not worth the trouble.

Catalina 36 vs. the Hunter 40:

-With that much visible water damage and corrosion on the C36, I'd be concerned.
-If speed means anything to you, the PHRF rating for the C36 is 144 and for the H40 is 102. The Hunter is WAY faster.
-I've always like the layout of the C36, but the aft cabin is much more coffinesque than the Hunter's.
-I've never been a fan of the huge compainionway of the C36 - especially with the walk-through transom. It's convenient, but the H40's is pretty bomb-proof in a big following sea.
-I'm not a fan of the pimpy leather cushions in the H40. But that's just me. Serious sweat generators.
-The H40 has a max-prop (awesome) and new bottom paint (awesome).
-I obviously can't see the sails on the C36 (they are listed as 6 years old), but the main on the H40 looks really good (clean and crisp). They imply that it's pretty new. This is a couple grand easy. Jib looks good too.
-Dodger on the H40 is great to have.
-Whisker pole on the H40 is worth over grand.
-The generator in the H40 is really nice to have as is the inverter.
-The wind generator on the H36 is nice to have and the fridge unit looks good - but is the same as the H40.
-Two good anchors on the H40.
-Dinghy davits ain't cheap.
-SSB on the C36 is nice.
-No A/C on the C36. It's on the H40. That would easily swing it for me.

Overall, it looks to me like the C36 was loved a bit more in terms of maintenance - but at $7K cheaper, the H40 looks to be a much better all-round deal. I'd beat the guy up on price a bit and give that one a shot.

If you do get more into the H40, ask about and look for accumulating water in the lazarette lockers. There are no drains in mine - and that's a hassle.

And regardless of which way you go, get a really good survey.

Have fun JT! Feel the tingle!!!
Old 26-09-2014, 08:13   #170

Here's something else. The Hunter was under contract a month ago, but the financing fell through. Before that happened the buyer commissioned and completed a survey of the vessel. I have the survey, completed September third, which the prospective buyer provided the seller when the seller returned the deposit.

The boat surveyed as "Above Average Condition" and was valued at $89,000 with a replacement value of $175,000.

With a survey that recent, and one that is in my hands, do I need to have it surveyed again?
Old 26-09-2014, 08:15   #171

Boat: Able 50

I had no idea how much Hunters have changed since that one was built. It looks a little funny with regular sized topsides and no traveler/arch thingy.
Old 26-09-2014, 08:17   #172

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

The C-34 sure looks in nice shape and comes with A/C. The H-40 sure has short cockpit seats. Stretching out to reach a book or snooze could be a challenge. Also, hard to tell from the pics, but can you reach the sheet winches from behind the wheel on the H-40? That may or may not be important to you. C-36 has a walk thru stern, makes boarding a dinghy easier in my view. H-40 has a lot of equipment. Suspect it would be easier to sell the Catalinas when the time comes, the C-34 & 36 are popular, the H-40 has a reputation for being fast.
Old 26-09-2014, 08:23   #173

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Have you seen this source for used sailboats? Pretty extensive listings in Florida.

Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale
Old 26-09-2014, 08:24   #174

Quote:
Thanks, Stu. I was thinking the same thing. Now I'm down to two.
If the chainplate leak only caused minor cosmetic damage, you could simply rebed the chainplate. If it wore through the bulkhead, walk.

I continue to be amazed that so many skippers don't think chainplate rebedding is part of regular maintenance.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 26-09-2014, 08:26   #175
cruiser

Quote:
Here's something else. The Hunter was under contract a month ago, but the financing fell through. Before that happened the buyer commissioned and completed a survey of the vessel. I have the survey, completed September third, which the prospective buyer provided the seller when the seller returned the deposit.

The boat surveyed as "Above Average Condition" and was valued at $89,000 with a replacement value of $175,000.

With a survey that recent, and one that is in my hands, do I need to have it surveyed again?
Up to you. I paid $550 bucks for my survey from a really good surveyor (plus another $220 for a haulout). I was there with him for the day while he did it. The education on all the systems alone was worth that price.

Here is the write-up on our blog if you want to take a look.

So, yeah, I'd absolutely do it.
Old 26-09-2014, 08:45   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Up to you. I paid $550 bucks for my survey from a really good surveyor (plus another $220 for a haulout). I was there with him for the day while he did it. The education on all the systems alone was worth that price.

Here is the write-up on our blog if you want to take a look.

So, yeah, I'd absolutely do it.
Same here. Also another question would be who recommended that surveyor? If it was the broker I'd be very suspect of the survey's intgegrity or at least as to the question of value numbers.
Old 26-09-2014, 08:48   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
They are prone to clogging from outside. I think the poster meant this.
If you don't install a filter they might. I got a used raw water bronze filter for $5 at a marine charity yard sale. Very inexpensive solution compared to nstalling a fresh water head.
Old 26-09-2014, 08:53   #178
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Same here. Also another question would be who recommended that surveyor? If it was the broker I'd be very suspect of the survey's intgegrity or at least as to the question of value numbers.
Great point. The broker in my deal turned out to be a really, really great guy. But just out of principle I think you should never use one recommended by the broker.

Find your own!
Old 26-09-2014, 09:50   #179
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

33 pound Bruce anchor with 100 ft. of chain and ¾ nylon 3 strand line
Fortress FX 37 anchor with 100 ft. of chain and ½ nylon 3 strand line
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO, a little light for that boat. Manson Supreme recommended sizing chart Probably I'd want a 45# new generation anchor. What size chain? No mention of a windlass on any of those boats. How hard will it be to install a windlass? My boat would require some modifications, hence I haul the anchor myself (not so easy at times, and at my age). Ground tackle is so important if you are cruising.

Figure on putting 4 new golf cart batteries in, and adding some good sized solar panels. How difficult and expensive will this be?

Davits are a plus on the Hunter. They all have shade. Great for cruising.

Doyle stack pac a plus on the Catalina 36.

I'm surprised no dinghy w/engine is included on any of these boats. Especially, if they have actually been cruising. Too bad you didn't find a boat that has been doing some extended cruising, considering where you are looking. Just look for the one with fuel and water jugs on the deck.

From everything you have posted, I'd go with the Hunter. And not just because it is a Hunter....because it gives you the most boat for your money.

Ralph
Old 26-09-2014, 09:53   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
33 pound Bruce anchor with 100 ft. of chain and ¾ nylon 3 strand line
Fortress FX 37 anchor with 100 ft. of chain and ½ nylon 3 strand line
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO, a little light for that boat. Manson Supreme recommended sizing chart Probably I'd want a 45# new generation anchor. What size chain? No mention of a windlass on any of those boats. How hard will it be to install a windlass? My boat would require some modifications, hence I haul the anchor myself (not so easy at times, and at my age). Ground tackle is so important if you are cruising.

Figure on putting 4 new golf cart batteries in, and adding some good sized solar panels. How difficult and expensive will this be?

Davits are a plus on the Hunter. They all have shade. Great for cruising.

Doyle stack pac a plus on the Catalina 36.

I'm surprised no dinghy w/engine is included on any of these boats. Especially, if they have actually been cruising. Too bad you didn't find a boat that has been doing some extended cruising, considering where you are looking. Just look for the one with fuel and water jugs on the deck.

From everything you have posted, I'd go with the Hunter. And not just because it is a Hunter....because it gives you the most boat for your money.

Ralph
Thanks, Ralph. The Hunter chain is 3/8ths stainless. And it does have a 12-volt windlass.

Tags
catalina, hunter