Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2021, 15:12   #16
lyl

Re: Catalina 22 Capri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Like Jim & Ann we started on SF Bay with a C22 for five years...
that's what i wanna do, gaining at least 3 - 5 yrs of sailing experience before investing in a bigger boat to spend nights on board.
lyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 15:37   #17
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreFun View Post
Nothing wrong with a cat 22 but you might want to also have a something like the Sunfish.
i've rented plenty of sunfish-es, i love the sails on them - no headaches. i also sailed a few snarks back in time, similar sails. ty
Old 10-01-2021, 15:43   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full View Post
i have to say gotta have to be a 'very' close couple.
thnx for sharing this, man. u give me hope.
FYI, my ex-wife and two smallish kids and I spent a month cruising in the Canadian Gulf islands in our C-22... and had a hell of a good time. It was our first foreign cruise and, like most of my cruising since, did not involve marina stays... whole time on the hook save a couple of days side tied to a tugboat in Vancouver BC and clearing in in Victoria.

And for that matter, we met a couple on a similarly sized fixed keel boat who ended up circumnavigating... and good friends of ours who sailed a Top Hat (24 footer) from Oz to Canada and back, ending up with a child aboard before returning.

It isn't all that unpleasant... and does not require any unusual attributes to succeed.

Jim
Old 11-01-2021, 02:56   #19
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FYI, my ex-wife and two smallish kids and I spent a month cruising in the Canadian Gulf islands in our C-22...
I've seen people doing it. I wouldn't do it with my wife - our heads over portapotty, ew! She would hate me. By myself, once in a blue moon, maybe...
That would be the least of my issues; I'm more worried about climbing the masts. I have a big problem with height. If you see a middle-aged man screaming like a little girl on the top of a mast at a marina one day, he'll probably be me. I'm even considering trailerable sailboats as our second one in the future, just to avoid height as much as I can.
Old 11-01-2021, 14:34   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I've seen people doing it. I wouldn't do it with my wife - our heads over portapotty, ew! She would hate me. By myself, once in a blue moon, maybe...
That would be the least of my issues; I'm more worried about climbing the masts. I have a big problem with height. If you see a middle-aged man screaming like a little girl on the top of a mast at a marina one day, he'll probably be me. I'm even considering trailerable sailboats as our second one in the future, just to avoid height as much as I can.
full, back in those days we used direct overboard discharge toilets... 'twas long before potty mania struck. I'd have to agree that if the PP was in the same place, sleeping in the v-berth would have been less attractive!

And FWIW, I am not comfortable with heights myself, and worried a lot when contemplating going aloft. When I was finally forced to do so, it was a bit scary, but I managed, and with further experience I've developed complete confidence in the process (on my own boat and with Ann as the deck level person... trust is helpful in avoiding fear).

With a trailer boat it, of course, is not an issue, for unstepping the mast is a routine process, and it is ALWAYS better to do mast work when it is lying supine on the ground!

Jim
Old 11-01-2021, 15:02   #21

Quote:
I've seen people doing it. I wouldn't do it with my wife - our heads over portapotty, ew! She would hate me. By myself, once in a blue moon, maybe......................

That's why, if you get a Catalina 22, you do the bed trick.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 19:21   #22

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

What's the bed trick? Thx-Ace
Old 11-01-2021, 20:56   #23
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post
just like the massage bed, but instead of head rest, portapotty is used.
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/b56...652a0340c.jpeg
Old 11-01-2021, 22:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by acem View Post

Slide galley aft
Build a plywood base the width of the walkway with fiddles below between the starboard galley support fiberglass and the lowered table
Move dinette backseat cushions over plywood
Sleep in queen sized berth with access to head available and not under your head

This is Catalina 22 Cruising 101 stuff from the 70s and 80s, before the internet
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:10   #25

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Nice. I've thought of something similar ut never tried it. Thx-Ace
Old 12-01-2021, 11:06   #26
lyl

Quote:
With a trailer boat it, of course, is not an issue, for unstepping the mast is a routine process, and it is ALWAYS better to do mast work when it is lying supine on the ground!
With my first sailboat, I think I'll avoid the climbing. Even with the second one, I can take the trailerable path and be height free. But, in the way future, with our third boat, I'll probably have to get over my fear and be a big boy.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:07   #27
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
This is Catalina 22 Cruising 101 stuff from the 70s and 80s, before the internet
I'll check it out. TY.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:19   #28

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

fun little boats. spent a winter in the sea of cortez and covered about 1500 miles zig-zagging down to punta mita. we had taken the slats out a bed frame (the kind that are sewn together with webbing) and cut it to fit the cockpit. most nights we just unrolled it and blew up an air mattress for an extremely comfortable cockpit bed. a tarp over the boom for rain protection occasionally. life was simpler then...
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 10:29   #29
lyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwilk37 View Post
life was simpler then...
Yep...
Old 13-01-2021, 13:11   #30
lyl

Quote:
the advice and experience that I offered upthread relative to a Cat 22 was related to the original design. The Capri is quite a different boat... designed by Gary Mull and much more racy in concept than the original.
From Catalina website, "In response to Catalina 22 owners’ requests for a production boat that more accurately reflects the original dimensions and weight of this popular one design boat, Catalina Yachts is now building the Catalina 22 Sport."
I assume your Cat 22 was a centerboard then. I'm guessing this as the new Catalina 22 Sport comes only as centerboard. Capri has the fin and wing keel options...
Anyhow, I'll be writing about only the brand new versions of Cat 22-s for the rest of this post:
Seems to me as if Capri is tad bit larger and has some cruising-in-mind dimentions and features. As a first sailboat, I've picked Capri thinking that it's an ideal choice for what I want to do; I won't participate certain races that requires certain specs, or I won't ever trailer the boat - which trailering appears to be easier with Sport. I won't be sailing in very shallow waters, where I'll have to lift a centerboard keel. Despite it's irrevelance to the matter in hand, I still want to mention that spending nights in a boat is also the last concern in my mind in the beginning. I'll buy my first sailboat just to gain a whole bunch of sailing experience, and I thought a Capri would be a great choice as it can be bought with a fin keel. I just want to grab a hold of how it is like to sail a fin keel - that experience might become handy buying a bigger new sailboat in the future as new boats 'mostly' come with fin keels. You know my romantic attachment to full keels, but I'm trying to adjust my sails according to the market trends' winds - and also some other list of reasons that I'll pass for now. I've come a long way to change my mind.
Here is where my concern lies... Most of the positive recommendations in regards to Cat 22, I assume, come with the original centerboard design in mind. I wonder if Catalina 22 is also a great boat as a fin keel Capri.

Tags
capri, catalina