Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2015, 19:30   #1

Cape Dory 36' vs Pearson 367

I prefer cutters by far, and have been brought up with full keels, but I've been thinking the 367 might have stability close enough and maybe a bit better performance. I think these two boats might be close to each other and I get the idea that the Cape Dory might be a bit better built, and the person more roomer. Thoughts?

I would love to hear the pro's and con's between and about these two.

Thanks
Galey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 20:14   #2

Re: Cape Dory 36' vs Pearson 367

I have sailed neither, but the Pearson is a larger boat and faster. Having been on several Cape Dory's and several Pearsons (but neither of the specific boats you mention), the Cape Dory is somewhat higher quality IMHO.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 20:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The Pearson is definitely q lot roomier. Really like the separate shower in the head if the 367 has the same interior as the 365. The Pearsons have very utilitarian interiors though have a reputation for strong hulls and decks. The 367 was the same hull as the 365 with a foot or so deeper keel so should sail to windward better. The mast is only 2' taller than the 365 so light air performance isn't going to be its strong point. The Cape Dory undoubtedly has a much more quality interior and like the full keel underbody.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 20:31   #4

Kinda apples & oranges, which you mentioned in your OP.

Depends on where you wanna go.

Both are great boats. For their intended purposes.

Good luck, happy choosing.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 22:19   #5

Galey,

I have a 367. What would you like to know?
Never been on a cape dory so I can't compare.

Yes, shower stall is handy (for showers and storing wet clothes).
But its presence makes the table in salon a PITA because when table is deployed, it's very difficult to 1) walk past it and 2) slide along it on the stbd settee.

the interior fiberglass edges (up behind the cabinets, all unseen edges) are rough with many unfinished edges; makes for many cut fingers when blindly feeling for stuff.

It sails well. Balances very well with both headsails. "Well" means I can trim sails, lock the helm and it will stay on course (until wave knocks it off). Can't do that as well with only genoa.

Lots of storage and many areas can be made accessible by cutting liner and adding hatch.

I think CD36 has no liner to get in the way.

Engine access is awful. belt, alt, water pumps, dipstick, thermostat are all on after end of engine (it's mounted backwards) and difficult to get to unless you're skinny as a stick. So bad that when I removed my fuel tank, I shortened the tank to give me more room back there (widened to the tank to maintain 50 gals).

Bilge is roomy.

Water tanks are nice and large (3 @ 50 gals each), but only one inspection port each and leaks when tanks are full.

Stands up well to strong winds. With properly reefed, it'll heel to where gunwale is near water and is steady. Does not round up in heavy gusts, just heals a bit more.

Normal water intrusion around deck penetrations, balsa cored desk with about 18" wide 3/4" teak plywood running down centerline from bow to beginning of coach roof.

Cockpit room, sleepable, cockpit lockers are deep with a lot of unused space up inside coamings (from inside cockpit lockers).

Most 367s have clubfoot staysail on pedestal. PO removed that hardware, except for pedestal. I finished that removal job and installed sheet tracks on coach roof.

Grab rail on overhead are too far apart (athwartship). Need to add one near centerline in salon.

I'm going to speculate that it is strongly built because I've removed parts of the interior and it was very difficult (i.e. removed a bulkhead/liner section ).

I also removed and move some thru hulls. Hull thickness ranges from ~1/2" near waterline to neary ~1 1/2" near turn of the bilge Layup in those cross sections of holes was homogenous.

Plastic ports (and probably non-opening ports) are screwed to liner. Metal ports are fastened with thru-machine screws.

Deck easy to get around, but I'd suspect not as easy to get around on with a CD36.

INterior is easy to get around, as long as the table is stowed.

Does not sail at anchor, rode does not wrap aroudn keel or rudder when drifting around anchor (40' chain, rest nylon).

Maneuverable? Because of the strong prop walk (stern to port), it's tough backing in tight spaces, but I can spin that boat around in about a 40' diameter using the propwalk, so it's also a benefit. Never got stuck in irons, even in light winds. I think the fwd end might be a bit more blunt than a CD36, but probalby not by much.

As far as the "quality", Pearson has more plastic (i.e. interior liner) than what i"ve seen in CD 36. my 367 has teak bulkheads, teak veneer plywood sole, teak cabinetry, probably the same as CD36.

What I can't tell you is how well (or poorly) it does when it's blowin hard and seas are choppy, just haven't been there in the 3 or 4 years I've owned it, but blowing hard in bay it does very well and, even with a bit too much sail up. Others have stated that it does well.

I have not come across any areas of the hull or desk that flex. All of it seems to be well supported or built.

In case you haven't come across this. . .
http://www.farreachvoyages.com/

If there is anything else you want to know, ask.
Good luck.
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:40   #6

Very helpful reply's. Thanks for taking the time to share. Both boats seem
Suitable, just a bit different. My use will be more weekending and short junkets
Along with day sailing for now, so I can see both boats fitting my wants.
I do appreciate all the detail on the 367; the long and short. Again, thanks for your time and thoughts.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:09   #7

Right now I'm thinking that the engine access on the 367 might be the killer
for me. I'm a little over weight and getting a bit long in the tooth. I'll reserve
the final until I am able to see the boats up close and personal.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:23   #8

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I've owned my Pearson 424 ketch for 7 years now. We sail in Hawai'i where there's always big wind and current between islands. The PO rode out Hurricane Iniki with 7 anchors out. In my experience, Pearson built a strong And comfortable live aboard that sails well.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galey View Post
I prefer cutters by far, and have been brought up with full keels, but I've been thinking the 367 might have stability close enough and maybe a bit better performance. I think these two boats might be close to each other and I get the idea that the Cape Dory might be a bit better built, and the person more roomer. Thoughts?

Thanks
Owner neither but sailed to Australia (most of the way single handed) from Buffalo,NY in a Bob Perry designed 37' Nan-Tai HD Cutter Cruiser. For going solo often I recommend the cutter for more options in heavier seas and the modified full keel was great for going to windward. Boat tracked very good but was know as The slow boat from China. Pearson is not as nice in the detailing of the boat but for faster passages it is the one. For comfort, Cape Dory. Choose if you like fast and free or slow and comfy. Longest out was from Panama to Pago Pago logging 6800 miles in 74 days.
icemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 14:25   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:

Thanks
I have no idea on roominess I'd guess the Pearson has more. The Cape Dory is probably the better constructed.

Just my opinion.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 14:30   #11

I've never been on a CD 36, but I used to own a CD 25D. They are very well built boats but not particular roomy, with rather narrow beams. If I was going to go around Cape Horn, or across the Atlantic, there is no doubt I would rather be in the Cape Dory. But, if I was just island hopping in the Caribbean and coastal cruising, I would go for the roomier Pearson.

The Pearson should be a lot cheaper to buy, too.
Old 10-03-2015, 14:37   #12

Ebb Tide is a 367 cutter with the deeper keel than the 367. A buddy of mine owned and loved the 365 for many years. No experience of the CD but Ebb Tide loves a blow. Beating to windward in a double wave pattern in a strong blow in the gulf takes it out of everybody but I have chartered all over the world in more modern roomier plastic corks and love my Pearson for her layout, room, deck and cockpit space but most of all overall strength and comfort. At 18000lbs she is stable and feels powerful tackling anything from an ugly chop to a big swell. Engine access is fine through the lockers when necessary. I replaced my 50gal fuel tank with two plastic 40s so no problems. Join the elite and buy the Pearson

Fair winds ........._/).........Cruisers Sailing Forum.
Shacklepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 14:52   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I've never been on a CD 36, but I used to own a CD 25D. They are very well built boats but not particular roomy, with rather narrow beams. If I was going to go around Cape Horn, or across the Atlantic, there is no doubt I would rather be in the Cape Dory. But, if I was just island hopping in the Caribbean and coastal cruising, I would go for the roomier Pearson.

The Pearson should be a lot cheaper to buy, too.
Good post!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 15:07   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

I work on and have sailed on both. Both boats have their pluses and minuses.

The CD is a bear for certain service access and early CD wiring was pretty atrocious. Good seacocks, great hardware but a TON of teak to maintain. CD's can also suffer from a lot of gelcoat crazing. I don't have a single CD customer that does not have what I consider excessive gelcoat crazing. The stuffing box access on the CD-36 is also a bear and the Perkins has decent access for all but the aft end. Steering is robust but cocpit scuppers are marginal IMHO. The deep keel is a bear to keep clean and odor free. For a traditional design she makes good use of space below and her joinery is good.... She is a rather wet boat to weather compared to the 367...

The 367 has more room and is faster in light air. She is more "plasticy" down below and does not have a heck of a lot more usable room than the CD-36. Hardware is not as robust, nor are the ports but the electrical is marginally better than an older CD, but that's not saying much.

Both boats are good boats pick the one YOU like..... Oh and both boats usually have the Perkins base engine, one in red as a Westerbke and the other in blue as a Perkins... They both leak oil & fluids equally well...
Old 11-03-2015, 09:32   #15

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
I prefer cutters by far, and have been brought up with full keels, but I've been thinking the 367 might have stability close enough and maybe a bit better performance. I think these two boats might be close to each other and I get the idea that the Cape Dory might be a bit better built, and the person more roomer. Thoughts? I would love to hear the pro's and con's between and about these two. Thanks
Hi ! How about a Camper & Nicholson 35 ? She's an old lady but I sailed from England to Vancouver over a 3 year period in a 1976 C&N 31. Almost 40 years later I was able to contact the people who bought it from me: The captain is sailing with angels but his widow told me that they took her from Vancouver to New Zealand , Australia & back & that her children don't want to sell her They were so well built that C&N went banckrupt & is now just a broker office
http://www.yachtsnet.co.uk/archives/...cholson-35.htm
1973 Camper & Nicholsons CN 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C&N_35.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	98712  
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory, pearson