Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2015, 19:28   #16

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Cape Dory 36' vs Pearson 367

I own a 1982 CD36....not for very long but she's mine and I just sailed her from Pensacola to Corpus Christi. There is nothing about this boat I don't like. She's beautiful, extremely well constructed and performed admirably in 25kt winds and 8' seas. Perfectly sized for my wife and I and capable of 4 more for a short weekend. The bath is tight but functional. The full keel design is extremely durable and thoroughly protects the rudder and propeller. The engine compartment is tight but everything is easy to get to...if you're of average girth. I'm 6'1" and 190lbs and can get to everything.
Nothing on this boat is poorly constructed and everything I've read supports that this is a true seaworthy boat. There are faster, roomier and more modern designs, but when the clouds close in and the wind picks up and there's no land to hide behind...this is the boat I'd want to trust my family in.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 08:55   #17

Boat: Ericson 34

Hi ! How about the mainsheet traveler ? On the Cape Dory it's on the roof, while on your Pearson 367 it's in the cockpit ! Is it in your way sometime ?
Cheers ! I like the look of both !
Do you have a windlass ? How's your anchoring gear working ?
Alain
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 09:34   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
I own a 1982 CD36....not for very long but she's mine and I just sailed her from Pensacola to Corpus Christi. There is nothing about this boat I don't like. She's beautiful, extremely well constructed and performed admirably in 25kt winds and 8' seas. Perfectly sized for my wife and I and capable of 4 more for a short weekend. The bath is tight but functional. The full keel design is extremely durable and thoroughly protects the rudder and propeller. The engine compartment is tight but everything is easy to get to...if you're of average girth. I'm 6'1" and 190lbs and can get to everything.
Nothing on this boat is poorly constructed and everything I've read supports that this is a true seaworthy boat. There are faster, roomier and more modern designs, but when the clouds close in and the wind picks up and there's no land to hide behind...this is the boat I'd want to trust my family in.
Grats! CD has made some well constructed boats. Isn't it hard to float her in Colorado?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 11:40   #19

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

sch--excellent post.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 20:24   #20

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAIN97133 View Post
Hi ! How about the mainsheet traveler ? On the Cape Dory it's on the roof, while on your Pearson 367 it's in the cockpit ! Is it in your way sometime ?
Cheers ! I like the look of both !
Do you have a windlass ? How's your anchoring gear working ?
Alain
I like the location of the traveler on the roof of the CD36. It's out of the way but easily reachable. I re packed the bearings underway after sparks shot out after a couple of really hard jibs / gybes. My windlass works excellent so far, it's an Armstrong unit 51 years old. Currently I'm looking and comparing motorized ones.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:45   #21

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
I like the location of the traveler on the roof of the CD36. It's out of the way but easily reachable. I re packed the bearings underway after sparks shot out after a couple of really hard jibs / gybes. My windlass works excellent so far, it's an Armstrong unit 51 years old. Currently I'm looking and comparing motorized ones.
Hi ! I'm also looking for a windlass. I'd like to know you points of view on horizontal vs vertical windlass & which one you'll choose in the end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HorizontalWindlass.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	111468   Click image for larger version

Name:	VerticalWindlass.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	111469  

ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags