Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average. Display Modes
Old 29-12-2009, 19:41   #196

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielgoldberg View Post
Which boat(s)?
7 transats, 4 in multihulls , 1 in a beneteau Oceanis 40, another one with a Oceanis 37, and as crew in a dufour 365, and right now i have a deal with the owner of Amel supermaramu to deliver the boat from st marteen to Gibraltar in may, but this is another game, also i have the chance to repair a grounded Beneteau sun fast 39, any question is welcome , Best regards.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 19:48   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
7 transats, 4 in multihulls , 1 in a beneteau Oceanis 40, another one with a Oceanis 37, and as crew in a dufour 365, and right now i have a deal with the owner of Amel supermaramu to deliver the boat from st marteen to Gibraltar in may, but this is another game, also i have the chance to repair a grounded Beneteau sun fast 39, any question is welcome , Best regards.
So with some trepidation, I'll ask how did you find the Benes offshore? Particularly the 40 (I assume it's of the new line?). We have a 49, which is the genesis of my interest. Thanks NP!
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 20:09   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrgic View Post
Hi all,

Here it goes,
My questions goes to you who have been there and done that.

My dream is to get the boat for a round the world trip. I am looking for something in the range 35 to 40 feet size for me and my wife. Budget range from $60.000 to $80.000.

I saw some nice boats from mass production boat building companies.
Can this work for the blue water? How safe are they? Does anyone have first hand experience with these boats? Would you consider buying these boats if you are in my situation?

What to look for on the offshore boat?
If you would not go for any of these boats what would you choose?

I would like to hear your opinion on this. I know I have asked a lot here and not give a lot of info, but I am in the early stage of narrowing down my selection and your info will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ivan
Hi Ivan, Beneteaus , jeanneaus ,bavarias , ... in my modest opinion, sorry for my english , are not made very well for offshore sailing, old ones are better and stronger made for the builder, in any case you can made a circunnavigation with a brand new Beneteau or Jeanneau, why not?
Just keep in mind that you are sailing with a boat fitted with a spade ruder and a fin keel, not my choice for hig latitudes sailing.
The quality of construction is fair, i see in a dufour no backing plates for the cleats , and a Lagoon with bulkheads broken after a rough trip across Biscay bay, some times in the used market many original problems are fixed for last owners and some times you find top Beneteaus with a lot of improvements and gadgets , i dont know what kind of sailing experience you have ? but i agree with a poster here about the quality of the skipper.
In any case if you choose a mass production boat, i dont like this word, take a good surveyor and inspect very well the critical points , like ruder, keel, bulkheads , hull etc...
Good luck with your search!!! Cheers.
Old 29-12-2009, 20:26   #199

Boat: a sailing boat
Also, if an older, sturdier thing is not what you want, then try to find a well made among the production boats. Because they may all be alike but it does not mean they are all the same. There are differences btwn makers and also btwn the older models and the newer ones (in each directions).

BTW I do think you should look at things like Rustler, Valiant, HR, HCH. I think if re-sale value is concerned they fare better than any Ben, Bav or Jean.

And if you want to sail the easy way (the tradewind's route) then people have done it in anything, so if you sail your chosen boat well and if you have luck on your side, you will make it no matter what.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 20:29   #200

Quote:
So with some trepidation, I'll ask how did you find the Benes offshore? Particularly the 40 (I assume it's of the new line?). We have a 49, which is the genesis of my interest. Thanks NP!
I find the Bene in Biscay fantastic , the only thing i dont like is the pounding, tipical in flat bottoms , another thing i dont like is the noise from the yanmar at hig revs, the fuel capacity is short for long trips in my opinion, all the runing rigging have a perfect setup,main winches close to the helmsman , the boat is very wet, a dodger is a must, i feel the boat tough, inside you feel the crunch crunch from the structure, but i think is because the boat are new, the quality of the stainless steel is a joke , sorry to say this , after 3800 miles the inox looks like crap, maybe beneteau import the inox from china , i dont know? for me a good boat , not my favorite choice , good for charter, the cockpit is big , and again no strong backing plates for the cleats , dam.....
A good boat .. Cheers.
Old 30-12-2009, 07:59   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post

... inside you feel the crunch crunch from the structure ...
Interesting. In my 1980 build boat no crunches. Off course, mine is not a Bene. Mine is an old clunker.

Amazing how one would think that with computer aid designers could build a NO crunch-crunch hull. But it looks that once they do so, the company's accountants take over the project and request only half of the designed structure to be put in place. So maybe we are dealing with well designed, poorly built boats?

b.
Old 30-12-2009, 08:12   #202

Boat: Bristol 38.8
No backing plates for the cleats? Poor quality stainless steel? Hulls that go "crunch?" My, oh my. Are you sure you guys aren't prejudiced?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 12:30   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
No backing plates for the cleats? Poor quality stainless steel? Hulls that go "crunch?" My, oh my. Are you sure you guys aren't prejudiced?
Do you really want to continue to go round and round with this?

By the way, we'll be on BI in mid to late August, so let me know if you'll be there.

DG
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 12:44   #204

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Do you really want to continue to go round and round with this?

By the way, we'll be on BI in mid to late August, so let me know if you'll be there.

DG
Nah, I just wanted all of you to read what neilpride had to say.

I do alot of sailing in August and will certainly be on Block Island at some point. If you send me a PM I'll tell you how to reach me.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 13:09   #205

I have lived aboard sailboats for 13 years now, and you can cross oceans in any boat. But for a couple in that price range I would suggest, looking into a Formorsa 41 ft. ! Better Sailboat for the Money bottom Line. None of these sailboats you mentioned can touch the Old Formorsa's
Keona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 16:36   #206

Not even a new Formosa? How come?

silly me,
barnie
Old 30-12-2009, 17:00   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I dont have predudices!! really, the crunch is a very normal thing in this boats, for me a good bulkhead installation is the bulkhead tabbed all the way around with tape , many production boats just tab the bulkheads from the bottom to the deck level and the top rest in the pan liner, if i remember my first multi delivery , in 25 knts sailing to windward , i remember very well the slam slam , and the 1 thing came to my mind is , o s!?#t this thing is going to break in 2 , later i discover that the multi take a lot of pounding with out desintegrate, backing plates !! well there is a nasty habit from some french builders to just put a wide washer under the cleat , nice for calms nights in a marina , but this a easy fix problem, and many owners have proper backing plates in place, this kind of boats sail very well in a wide range of conditions, remember that many came from the atlantic side of europe , and i can tell you that in winter is very rough up there.
Im just splain my conclusions and my experiences, i dont have any prejudiced , really, many beneteaus are crossing oceans , is just a personal choice. cheers.
Old 30-12-2009, 17:01   #208

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
Most entertaining!
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 17:05   #209

Yeah - most entertaining, if you sail a ... Tashiba 40. Less so if you have one of those 'crunch&no backing plates' boats ;-)))

b.
Old 30-12-2009, 17:07   #210

MONSTERS!!!!!

Tags
bavaria, beneteau, jeanneau, monohull, ocean crossing, offshore