Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2015, 09:58   #16

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Bumps on a steel keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
So for one low-low price you get a half-completed boat.

And oh, the keel doesn't look quite right.

RUN!!!!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 10:53   #17

The advantage of not buying a fully outfitted boat is that what you put into it you then know how to take out of it. Makes you less clueless about the boat. Any long distance cruise will require such. For the less than mega wealthy crowd, this is the way to go many times.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 11:48   #18

Boat: Cavalier 45
pirate Re: Bumps on a steel keel

Why do people who don't know anything about the subject feel a need to comment.
I have built steel boats and there is nothing to worry about. It's cosmetic and not structural.
This will only be noticed when the yacht is on the hard and never seen when in the water. It's a cruising boat so it won't even affect your speed.
I would rather sail around the world in a steel yacht and I've owned two fiberglass yachts and two wooden yachts.
The keel is the least of your problems if you have to finish the rest of the yacht.
My first steel yacht took 8 years including fabricating the hull and deck. We'll maybe see you out there one day.
Cheers,
Lane
Lanevdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 12:25   #19

Quote:
I didn't say the keel would fall off. Just that its weird.
Actually what you said was "RUN!!!!" without knowledge of what you were talking about before you proceeded to share your unsolicited opinions without providing any substantive information to answer the OP's original question.

Despite your apparent failures, for others buying and completing a half built boat can represent a significant value as is evidenced by atoll's current project-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ft-103739.html
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 12:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
If its not corten, then a coat of epoxy and then a coat of poly will keep it from rusting. In any case need a barrier coat between the steel and any bottom coating.
Cor-Ten steel needs to be treated just like mild steel to prevent rust. Cor-Ten will rust, it just rusts slower than mild steels. The interior of the hull needs to be properly prepped and painted to prevent rust as well as the exterior.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 13:10   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Cor-Ten steel needs to be treated just like mild steel to prevent rust. Cor-Ten will rust, it just rusts slower than mild steels. The interior of the hull needs to be properly prepped and painted to prevent rust as well as the exterior.

Later,
Dan
Your correct. What i meant was that Corten can be treated with a variety of methods but mild steel really should be sealed with epoxy/top coat inside and out. With Corten, we treated it with hot tar inside of a commercial fishing boat. Others sometime use hot zinc. Of course in commercial fisheries odor is not a big issue. Some folks do not treat corten at all, preferring to periodically cut out and reweld thin plates. If you keep bilges clear, chances are you will not get much rust even after a decade. Untreated makes it way easier to weld new stuff in place.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 13:15   #22

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Actually what you said was "RUN!!!!" without knowledge of what you were talking about before you proceeded to share your unsolicited opinions without providing any substantive information to answer the OP's original question.

Despite your apparent failures, for others buying and completing a half built boat can represent a significant value as is evidenced by atoll's current project-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ft-103739.html

Sounds like you're really enjoying your cruise. Holy cow man.

"Apparent failures". Where do you get off with this attitude? Unbelievable. Just because I have some experience with stuff being harder, or less fun, than it appeared in the "honeymoon phase"?

The guy is asking about a half built boat with a weird looking keel, and I made the suggestion to run. I don't think that's very far out of whack. You may disagree, but I certainly don't think my opinion on the matter irrelevant, or deserving of rebuke.

I stand by my advice, rare outlier examples notwithstanding. Actually, I even addressed those, when I said it can be quite a rewarding path for some.

chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 13:33   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by plpioko View Post
Basically there are small and medium bumps on that keel now. In your opinion how serious can be that issue? Is it something that in a future will compromise safety and/or performance? Can it be fixed without replacing that keel?
OP has a pretty straightforward question he would like to have answered by people with the knowledge and expertise to answer it. He got it, along with a bunch of opinions from people without knowledge or expertise in the subject of his question. Classic CF!
Old 22-12-2015, 13:35   #24

Quote:
Didn't think I was being panic-police, or "shooting my mouth off". You yourself are coming in a little hot, though.

I didn't say the keel would fall off. Just that its weird.

OP- buying a bare hull with potential keel problems means before you get to sail, you first have to become an accomplished boat builder (i'd say thats really only a mild exaggeration). I can see that being a really rewarding path for some, but most folks would rather start off a little closer to the finish line. Just something to think about.

As I said, maybe there are some further redeeming qualities about this hull I'm not accounting for.
chris, I'm with you. Seems like another pipe dream. They seem to come up frequently. Mostly with people looking for the impossible dream on the water with no experience or sufficient funds for what they want or both.

s
Old 22-12-2015, 13:36   #25

Quote:
OP has a pretty straightforward question he would like to have answered by people with the knowledge and expertise to answer it. He got it, along with a bunch of opinions from people without knowledge or expertise in the subject of his question. Classic CF!
Classic "social creatures getting together and talking about stuff and trying to help each other out. Each in their own limited, imperfect ways".
Old 22-12-2015, 13:38   #26

How are uninformed opinions helpful to anybody?
Old 22-12-2015, 13:46   #27

Quote:
How are uninformed opinions helpful to anybody?
I really think you have some sort of bone to pick, and I don't know why. Take another look at those responses. You've called me a failure, uninformed, panic squad, a number of things. Dude - have a beer.

As I said, I have a lot of experience with taking on big projects. Often, particularly when the domain is new to you, the "honeymoon" phase can be misleading. I think when someone is considering buying a half-built boat with a lumpy keel, its not at all unwarranted to suggest that they consider something a with a little less work attached to it. I'm not his mommy or daddy, I'm not telling him what to do, I'm in a public forum attempting to do a little good by making this suggestion.

You want to publicly shame me because you don't agree with my advice? What gives, man?

Old 22-12-2015, 13:58   #28

Quote:
I really think you have some sort of bone to pick, and I don't know why. Take another look at those responses. You've called me a failure, uninformed, panic squad, a number of things. Dude - have a beer.

As I said, I have a lot of experience with taking on big projects. Often, particularly when the domain is new to you, the "honeymoon" phase can be misleading. I think when someone is considering buying a half-built boat with a lumpy keel, its not at all unwarranted to suggest that they consider something a with a little less work attached to it. I'm not his mommy or daddy, I'm not telling him what to do, I'm in a public forum attempting to do a little good by making this suggestion.

You want to publicly shame me because you don't agree with my advice? What gives, man?

Your advise was good. I agree with you as trying to help someone not make a major mistake. As far as the question of experience I would question the naysayer on that point.
Old 22-12-2015, 14:00   #29

I think you need to determine what type of steel it is, is it ASDTM 36? this is mild steel used in vessel construction world wide.

so steel may change it molecular properties due to a second heating and hget brittle, other steel such as mild steel should be no problem with a few hot spots.

start first with what is the steel
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2015, 14:08   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bumps on a steel keel

Personally.. I reckon you'll maybe lose a fraction of a knot on your hull speed but other than that it should be fine..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, steel