Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 16:44   #1111
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas1983 View Post
Wow you sure find allot of nice boats, the problem I am having is they all seem to be about 6 feet to short ...
Well, I have occasionally seen a 40 ft or bigger boat for $30K or less Canadian but these were all ferrocement with "issues", and some other craft that are, shall we say, interesting...
I mean, there's a big steel 45 ft Roberts in our marina that hasn't moved in a while but it's owner-built and the engine is some strange combination of hydraulics and a Mercedes car engine. When the present owner gives up, it may be for sale...
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 16:47   #1112

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

Wow you sure find allot of nice boats, the problem I am having is they all seem to be about 6 feet to short as I am looking for somehting at least 39 feet to have a boat more likely to be blue water or built better with bigger tanks and some live aboard stuff like power generation ir things like a water maker to be more self sustained and be able to have the room to take people out on a mono-hull. It seems there are so many boats uder 38 feet and some good deal but not so many more than 40 feet and as soon as you cross that threshold of 40 feet the price sky rockets in most cases, would you agree that is seems to be that the boats are in a different class after 40 feet cause the price goes up so much but there are piles of boats 33-38 feet that look great for a good price. This is what I am struggling with. looks like you put allot of time into finding boats for people, Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Irwin Citation 34

Year: 1993
Length: 34'
Engine/Fuel Type:Single / diesel

Located In: Palmetto, FL
Hull Material: Fiberglass
YW#: 80347-3195308

Current Price: US$ 17,000

1993 Irwin Citation Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 16:55   #1113

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas1983 View Post
Wow you sure find allot of nice boats, the problem I am having is they all seem to be about 6 feet to short as I am looking for somehting at least 39 feet to have a boat more likely to be blue water or built better with bigger tanks and some live aboard stuff like power generation ir things like a water maker to be more self sustained and be able to have the room to take people out on a mono-hull. It seems there are so many boats uder 38 feet and some good deal but not so many more than 40 feet and as soon as you cross that threshold of 40 feet the price sky rockets in most cases, would you agree that is seems to be that the boats are in a different class after 40 feet cause the price goes up so much but there are piles of boats 33-38 feet that look great for a good price. This is what I am struggling with. looks like you put allot of time into finding boats for people, Thank you.
Yes. Once you cross the 40 foot line you will have a hard time finding a decent boat that isn't a complete rebuild for under 30k.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 17:22   #1114
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

There's a 1970 C&C 35 Mk I asking $39K Canadian (about U$30K) in Kingston Ontario:
C&C 35 Mk I
Seems a bit steep, but it's been repowered.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 17:35   #1115
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Here is the link. As Sgt Schultz would say: "I know nothink."

1993 Irwin Citation Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Yes, looks like someone here ought to pick this up - and let us know what they find.
I'd just use the forepeak for storage - like usual.
Nice layout. Seems like a lot of space for a 34, even given the magic camera feature.
Irwins have kind of a mixed reputation for build quality, do they not?
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 17:38   #1116

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

ok I thought that's what I would hear as that sure seems to be the trend. thanks
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 21:33   #1117

Boat: Seaward 22

This looks like a good deal.
1973 Pearson Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I have no personal interest in the boat
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:13   #1118

Quote:
I noticed this and wondered about that.
Looks bulky, blocky, and intrusive, and hard on the ribs if you slept against it.
I seen that and thought what the heck is behind there plumbing?
Other then that they are nice looking interiors.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:38   #1119
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Yes. Once you cross the 40 foot line you will have a hard time finding a decent boat that isn't a complete rebuild for under 30k.
Simply put, nicely said. I agree.

Exceptions may be a Wood or Ferro Cement boat that is harder to sell, and costly to store.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:56   #1120
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
There's a 1970 C&C 35 Mk I asking $39K Canadian (about U$30K) in Kingston Ontario:
C&C 35 Mk I
Seems a bit steep, but it's been repowered.
Yes. That does seem relatively high priced to me, and without much more information, it is hard to distinguish that boat from many others in this price range.

And the ad begs the question:
"Repowered" WHEN?

With a boat built in 1970, it could have been repowered in the 1980s, so the engine could still be old. Regardless of age, the condition of the boat and engine is most important.

My suggestion would be for the Owner (and/or broker) to provide more info on that particular boat, including the date of the repower, with what engine, and recent photos, etc.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:12   #1121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
The first impression is an unusual cockpit arrangement. The wheel is at the very front of the cockpit, and all control lines and winches are behind the helm. This arrangement implies sailing only with a crew so competent the helm doesn't need to see them. Definitely not a short handed situation.
It does appear to be in nice condition, and otherwise very much of its period in design and layout.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:15   #1122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Simply put, nicely said. I agree.

Exceptions may be a Wood or Ferro Cement boat that is harder to sell, and costly to store.
Or far off the beaten path in places like Malasia, Thailand, or Rio Dulce.
Unless you want to cruise that specific area, it makes just comparing the pictures to the reality a project that could easily eat up a few boat bucks.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:25   #1123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gulfstar 41 ketch Florida $20,000

And here's a slight exception to the over 40 rule:
- posted in our own forum,
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-199690.html

Owner states bought another boat.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:48   #1124
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hughes Columbia 35

Steady's Notes

The photos of the boat show a nice looking boat, in what appears to be good condition. As with any boat, a survey is a good idea. Caveat Emptor.

I like what I see in the photos, for a boat of this age and at this Asking Price point. There are more photos showing the interior and cockpit and details on the linked page. From looking at the photos, it appears the boat has a windlass, and canvas covers for deck hardware and a bimini and sail cover. The interior features a wood finish and a Teak & Holley sole. See the ad for more description.

This model was based on a Sparkman & Stephens design.

Before buying one of these boats, I suggest reading something about the designer, and the builder, and the reputation of the boat model.

Make sure you know the facts behind the specific boat you may buy.

LOA = 35'

Year = 1982

Location = Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Asking Price = Can$ 24,900 (US$ 19,452)

YW#: 75589-3194866

Specifications or Description from Sale Ad (this particular boat)
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

NOTE: See the ad for more photos and details on equipment on this boat. The following is an excerpt:

Builder: Hughes Boat Works
Designer: Sparkman & Stephens

Dimensions
LOA: 35 ft 6 in
Beam: 10 ft 4 in
LWL: 26 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 10 in
Displacement: 12000 lbs
Ballast: 5400 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 0 in

Engines
Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Atomic Diesel
Year Built: 1982
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: V Drive

Sails
Furling genoa
Genoa - Yr 2008
Battened mainsail - Yr 2000
Spinnaker - Yr 2008
Asymmetric spinnaker

Link to Ad with contact information:
1982 Hughes Columbia 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

All photos in this post are from THIS ad for THIS boat.

My Disclaimers and Requests

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area.
IF you have a sister boat, I encourage to post some comments about it in this thread.
IF you own a similar or sister boat, I would enjoy sailing on it with you. Why? I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	167794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	167795  

Name:	IMG_0080.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	167796   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	167797  

Name:	IMG_0082.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	167798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	167799  

Old 09-04-2018, 17:20   #1125
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pearson Vanguard 33

Steady's Notes

The photos of the boat show a nice looking boat, in what appears to be VERY good condition.

This is an old boat (1964), but a classic Phillip Rhodes design, one that is well liked for its era.

Here is what Wikipedia says:
The Pearson Vanguard is a classic sailboat designed in 1962 by Philip Rhodes. These boats were built by Pearson Yachts from 1963-1967. Pearson Vanguards are a classic cruiser known for world travel. Their hulls, like most early fiberglass boat hulls, are known for being significantly thicker than more modern fiberglass construction. The original engine was an "Atomic 4" gasoline engine however many have been replaced with marine diesels. The full shoal-draft keel has a 4400-pound lead ballast embedded into it. 404 of these classic hulls were made. There is an active Owners' Group at Yahoo! Groups."
________

STEADY:

What makes this particular boat noteworthy (and so I am adding this profile in this thread) is the amount of recent refit work done on the boat. I was impressed by all the things done to the boat in recent years.

So, once again I am presenting a boat that I think shows that a good or very good condition coastal cruising boat can be found for less than $30K, and in this case, less than $20k!

Particularly noteworthy is the recently installed Beta 20hp Diesel engine. But, that alone is not why I am posting THIS particular boat. I look at boats holistically and want to see more than just a replaced engine.

Take a look at the long list of upgrades and updating on the refit list, and consider how much time and money (parts and labor) it would take to recreate that in a similar age boat that was neglected or in poor shape.

I like what I see in the photos, for this boat model and age, compared to sister ships.

For sailors on a tight budget, this boat appears to have many things recently updated, that makes it a special, noteworthy example of this boat model, and almost turnkey for cruising.

There are many more photos showing the interior and cockpit and details on the linked page.

As with any boat, a survey is a good idea. Caveat Emptor.

LOA = 33'

Year = 1964

Location = Kemah, Texas, USA

Asking Price = $19,900

Specifications (original) from Sailboatdata for this boat model

Hull Type: Fin Keel Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
LOA: 32.58' / 9.93m LWL: 22.33' / 6.81m
Beam: 9.25' / 2.82m Listed SA: 470 ft2 / 43.66 m2
Draft (max.) 4.50' / 1.37m Draft (min.)
Displacement: 10300 lbs./ 4672 kgs. Ballast: 4250 lbs. / 1928 kgs.
Sail Area/Disp.1: 15.94 Bal./Disp.: 41.27% Disp./Len.: 412.97
Designer: Philip Rhodes
Builder: Pearson Yachts (USA)
Construction: FG Bal. type: Lead
First Built: 1963 Last Built: 1967 # Built: 400
AUXILIARY POWER (orig. equip.)
Make: Universal Model: Atomic 4
Type: Gas HP: 30
TANKS
Water: 42 gals. / 159 ltrs. Fuel: 20 gals. / 76 ltrs.

Specifications or Description from Sale Ad (this particular boat)

BROKER:
Accommodations
The salon features a bulkhead mounted table which opens up the salon when the table is not in use. Both settees are comfortable for lounging and double as good seaberths. There are long mahogany storage shelves above the port and starboard settee. The hard headliner with teak trim looks great and all on deck hardware is through bolted in an inconspicuous manner. Large windows provide excellent light inside and visibility while looking out. There are four LED light fixtures and three fans in the salon, as well as two, five foot teak handrails running along the top of the cabin and two, four foot teak handrails running beneath the windows.

The head features a remodeled vanity with mahogany cupboards, shelves and there are two LED lights and one fan. The commode is a Natures Head composting toilet which is vented. There is no odor emitted from a Natures Head and the occasional emptying is simple and easily performed. Large storage shelves are opposite the head.

The forward cabin has a large V-berth with mahogany shelving above them running down each side with two LED light fixtures and two fans. The nav station is to starboard of the companionway and features a Standard Horizon multimedia chart plotter on a custom Ram mount. The galley is to port with plenty of counter space, dry storage, large freezer, sink and a gimbaled two burner alcohol stove.

STEADY:
Take a look at the long list of upgrades and updating on the refit list below, and consider how much time and money (parts and labor) it would take to recreate that in a similar age boat that was neglected or in poor shape.

________

From the ad:

Webasto 16,000 reverse cycle A/C and heat (professionally installed 2015)
Custom mahogany A/C unit cabinet (professionally installed 2015)
6' 4" headroom in salon
4 berths - 1 double, 3 single
(4) new custom 6" thick cushions - fore and aft, made in 2015
New teak hand rails ( one, two, four and five handhold rails) placed throughout the interior of the boat in 2016
(8) stainless steel interior 12v LED light fixtures (professionally installed in 2015)
(6) Caframo 12v multi-speed fans (professionally installed in 2015)
New curtains and porthole covers (professionally installed in 2015)
Porthole screens
Lee-cloth on main salon bunk.
Custom built mahogany fold-down table attached to forward main cabin bulkhead (professionally built and installed 2016)
Custom mahogany storage shelves above each bunk
Storage under bunks fore and aft
Natures Head installed in 2015
Remodeled teak and mahogany cupboards, storage shelves and mirror (professionally installed 2016)

Galley
Modern updated, completely remodeled teak and mahogany trimmed galley (professionally built in 2015)
Formica counter tops
Origo 3000 gimbaled double burner denatured alcohol galley stove installed in 2015
Custom built ice box (professionally built in 2016)
New polished stainless steel sink
Fynspray traditional galley lever hand pump

Electronics
New VHF mast antenna (professionally installed 2014)
Standard Horizon CPN700i multimedia chart plotter on custom ram mount (professionally installed 2015)
Standard Horizon Matrix AIS/GPS GX2200 VHF radio and Ram3 remote station microphone in cockpit (professionally installed 2015)

Standard Horizon smart DGPS puck receiver (professionally installed 2015)
Ritchie bulkhead mounted cockpit compass (professionally installed 2014)
Raymarine depth finder and monitor (professionally installed 2014)

Electrical
All new DC wiring and Blue Sea circuit breaker panel (professionally installed in 2015)
All new AC wiring and Blue Sea circuit breaker panel (professionally installed in 2015)
Xantrex 2.0 battery charger digital controller (professionally installed 2015)
Power Drive 1500 watt inverter with interior controls and designated outlet (professionally installed 2015)
New volt, amps, amp hours battery monitor (professionally installed 2015)
105 watt Custom Marine Products solar panel, tilt mount, and pole (professionally installed 2015)
Meter MT-1 solar panel monitor and battery charge controller
8 stainless steel interior 12v LED light fixtures
6 Caframo 12v multi-speed fans
New DC and VHF mast wiring (professionally installed 2014)

New masthead LED tricolor/anchor light (professionally installed 2014)
(3) deep cycle house batteries wired in a single bank and one dedicated starter battery
Custom built AC, DC and Inverter mahogany circuit boxes
(4) USB ports
(4) AC electrical outlets
(3) 30amp power cords (1 is new)

Rigging
New running rigging 2016
Standing rigging and chain plates replaced 2010
New Tides Marine mast strong track (professionally installed 2016)
New boom with three reef point blocks, winch and cleat installed 2016

Stainless steel boom guard ( professionally installed 2016)

Sails & Handling Equipment
2014 Mainsail - main with three reef points, 7.5 oz Bainbridge Ocean Premium (excellent condition)
2014 Working jib, 7.5 oz
Bainbridge Ocean Premium (excellent condition)
Genoa (good condition)
Working jib (good condition)
Storm jib (new condition)
Storm jib (excellent condition)

Deck & Hull
Removed old toe rail and replaced 150+ bolts with stainless steel bolts and sealed hull deck joint with 5200 then fiberglassed hull and deck together with 4 layers of 4", 6", then 8" 14 ounce bi axel fiberglass with an 8" finishing mat installed in 2015
All new bronze through hulls and sea cocks (professionally installed 2015)
All deck holes drilled over size, filled with epoxy and fiberglass then redrilled for bolt width installed in 2015
Bulwarks - fiberglass, 4" wide installed in 2015

Safety netting.
New stainless steel grab rails on the coach roof and forward cabin roof installed 2015
New dyneema lifelines with two gates installed 2017
Custom built Mystic stainless steel 6 foot swim ladder
Forward, aft and spring cleats
New mast strong track (professionally installed 2015)
Professionally built companionway hatch with aluminum tracks and mahogany drop boards installed 2015
Throwable PDF
Wind scoop
Wind indicator
Stainless steel boom guard (installed 2016)

Ground Tackle
Lofrans Royal aluminum manual anchor windlass installed 2015
26" stainless steel bow roller installed 2015
44 lb. Rocna anchor on 80 feet of 5/16 chain with 125 feet of 5/8 inch nylon rode attached.

125 feet of 5/8 nylon rode
Danforth aluminum anchor

Engine & Propulsion
Engine Power: 20 HP
Engine Brand: Beta Marine (engine purchased new and professionally installed in 2014)
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 450 HRS
Beta Marine engine control panel (professionally installed 2014)
New wiring, Racor 500FG fuel filter, hoses, and muffler professionally installed 2014)
Teleflex marine engine controls (professionally installed 2014)
New stainless steel shaft, stuffing box and propeller (professionally installed 2014)
New stainless steel engine mounting blocks (professionally installed 2014)

Custom built engine compartment which allows maximum access to engine area

Tanks
water tank">Fresh Water Tank: 42 Gallons
Fuel Tank: New stainless steel 20 gallon tank (professionally installed 2014)

Additional Equipment
Bottom painted 2014
Deck painted 2016
(2) Fire extinguishers
Emergency signaling kit
Electric bilge pump
Manual bilge pump
(2) mahogany and teak custom made tiller (one new condition)
ACR Globalfix 406 MHz EPIRB
Mast Windex wind indicator
Throwable PDF
Ships bell
Wind scoop
Wind indicator
(4) type 1, off shore life vest
Shelf guards
(6) oversized fenders
Dock lines
Additional lines
Mainsail cover
Jib cover

Link to Ad with contact information:
1964 Pearson Vanguard Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

All photos in this post are from THIS ad for THIS boat.

My Disclaimers and Requests

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area.
IF you have a sister boat, I encourage to post some comments about it in this thread.
IF you own a similar or sister boat, I would enjoy sailing on it with you. Why? I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0091.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	167863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	167864  

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price