Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 14:37   #1096

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Sabre 28 1973 a good buy for 4K? Freshwater biat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynredsail View Post
Hello all. This is my first post. I am looking at soon purchasing a Sabre 28, 1973 (#20th built), orig atomic 4 ..looks well maintained but in need of tune up, and owner and a few yard folk say it runs well. Looks very clean and gold. ( fire retarder was oily thou?) On Lake Ontario. Prob not used much as owner of past 18 yrs sails well/ used to race it - motors out of marina mostly my guess. Older 6-12 yrs...but good sail plan ( 2 mains, 3 jibs, 1 spinnaker and pole). Tiller. Lead bolt keel & skeg hung. Boat looks in well maintained shape&on the hard now. Has forward shroud supports. Was In water last yr.
I’m nervous about engine age and due to limited $ can only afford 2-400$ to have some one look over the boat and motor for me. I have a few weeks window. 3 to 4 k is a great price for this quality of boat. ..but having to put in a new motor if this motor is dying/ dies will kill $$$ me. ( I have a 6hp 1 yr old outboard on my 23 Oday ( which I will sell)- but bit small for this boat on a Great Lake for new-ish sailor. And no outboard mount .
-I am thinking to share launch cost with seller to get boat in water and have engine checked best I can( find someone). Compression test, oil pressure, and ?????. If all good I’ll pay all launch cost as I need to rent slip for boat anyway when I go ahead and purchase
- do I just tap all round hull to check for issues?
- I’m willing to learn how to maintain atomic 4 gas engine. But this ones is 45 yrs old. eeek. Some web sites say it’ll go a long time and a rebuild is possible ( especially if I do some myself) for 2k.
- I’m a single gal and in 4 years my goal is to head home to Victoria bc Canada via intramural and some costal, Carib, and ??? ( slip fees w power and pool in Rio dulce Guatemala are 350$/mo!) Like the fact that monies over the next 4 yrs I dump into this boat can get me there, as it’s coastal- possible blue water quality...or at least have some good -ish resale.
Hoping any of you can advise me. Boat really looks ok and clean... just nervous about motor. If I need to add 2 -3k to it in 4 yrs as my ticket and movable home out of cold NE that’s ok.
- not sure if I feel nervous inside ( that’s a girl talking) because I’m going from 23 to 28 solo, or because it’s my first inboard and older ( but godly it seems) atomic gas .
Thank you in advance...really need some good advice here. If you live nearby in upstate ny I’ll pay you for a boat / motor eval if you are experienced .
Best, Robyn
Welcome aboard Robyn! Pretty normal to be nervous about boats! And smart to be nervous about the engine!�� There are a million atomic 4s out there still running and pretty easily repaired, people who have them are generally happy with them. That said, personally I prefer a diesel and unless this boat is a super great deal and/or it makes your heart really go pitter pat, i’d Wait and keep an eye out for a good boat with a good diesel. They’re out there. Nothing against the Sabre, they are good boats! I was looking at one before I found mine which happens to make my heart go pitter pat. I’d ask the surveyor if you have one for a good mechanic to give it a check out as well as the shaft and prop and transmission. How’s the rigging and sails? Good luck!
Btw start a thread called “tell me about your Sabre 28” or something like that to get more info here and also do a search here for Sabre 28.
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 13:15   #1097

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Almost qualifies for the near free thread at $6,800 asking

33Ft Tartan. A basic boat. Not a lot of info but looks clean and well cared for. Almost new Yanmar and canvas.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/b...551156829.html
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 13:24   #1098

Boat: Pearson 30

Strange - there are no ports on that boat.
It does look fast though.
Gravy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 13:25   #1099

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
A Yankee 30 MK3 looks to be in very good shape with rebuilt Bukh diesel in SF for $8500. Not much more info than that:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa...548948294.html
This same ad has been on CL's since I became interested in sailboats. It's been running for at least three years now. I'm not sure what's up.
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 13:53   #1100

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Almost qualifies for the near free thread at $6,800 asking

33Ft Tartan. A basic boat. Not a lot of info but looks clean and well cared for. Almost new Yanmar and canvas.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/b...551156829.html
The boat is a Tartan Ten
TARTAN 10 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 13:54   #1101

Boat: Heritage 35
Re: Sabre 28 1973 a good buy for 4K? Freshwater biat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynredsail View Post
Hello all. This is my first post. I am looking at soon purchasing a Sabre 28, 1973 (#20th built), orig atomic 4 ..looks well maintained but in need of tune up, and owner and a few yard folk say it runs well. Looks very clean and gold. ( fire retarder was oily thou?) On Lake Ontario. Prob not used much as owner of past 18 yrs sails well/ used to race it - motors out of marina mostly my guess. Older 6-12 yrs...but good sail plan ( 2 mains, 3 jibs, 1 spinnaker and pole). Tiller. Lead bolt keel & skeg hung. Boat looks in well maintained shape&on the hard now. Has forward shroud supports. Was In water last yr.
I’m nervous about engine age and due to limited $ can only afford 2-400$ to have some one look over the boat and motor for me. I have a few weeks window. 3 to 4 k is a great price for this quality of boat. ..but having to put in a new motor if this motor is dying/ dies will kill $$$ me. ( I have a 6hp 1 yr old outboard on my 23 Oday ( which I will sell)- but bit small for this boat on a Great Lake for new-ish sailor. And no outboard mount .
-I am thinking to share launch cost with seller to get boat in water and have engine checked best I can( find someone). Compression test, oil pressure, and ?????. If all good I’ll pay all launch cost as I need to rent slip for boat anyway when I go ahead and purchase
- do I just tap all round hull to check for issues?
- I’m willing to learn how to maintain atomic 4 gas engine. But this ones is 45 yrs old. eeek. Some web sites say it’ll go a long time and a rebuild is possible ( especially if I do some myself) for 2k.
- I’m a single gal and in 4 years my goal is to head home to Victoria bc Canada via intramural and some costal, Carib, and ??? ( slip fees w power and pool in Rio dulce Guatemala are 350$/mo!) Like the fact that monies over the next 4 yrs I dump into this boat can get me there, as it’s coastal- possible blue water quality...or at least have some good -ish resale.
Hoping any of you can advise me. Boat really looks ok and clean... just nervous about motor. If I need to add 2 -3k to it in 4 yrs as my ticket and movable home out of cold NE that’s ok.
- not sure if I feel nervous inside ( that’s a girl talking) because I’m going from 23 to 28 solo, or because it’s my first inboard and older ( but godly it seems) atomic gas .
Thank you in advance...really need some good advice here. If you live nearby in upstate ny I’ll pay you for a boat / motor eval if you are experienced .
Best, Robyn
Hi Robyn. Where on lake Ontario is the boat? We're in Toronto if close can have a look for you. I've been around boats since before long pants and my wife is a surveyor. If the A4 has been maintained they can go forever so wouldn't worry too much about that if everything else is OK. Send me a PM. Will be away for the weekend but will check.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:59   #1102
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

C&C 34

I just got notification of this new listing.
Few photos. Not much info.

Year:
Length:
34'
Engine/Fuel Type ?
Located In:New York, NY
Hull Material:Fiberglass
YW#:80655-3194335

Current Price: US$ 7,000
1983 C&C 34 Mk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	167680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	167681  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 17:23   #1103
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Irwin Citation 34

Year: 1993
Length: 34'
Engine/Fuel Type:Single / diesel

Located In: Palmetto, FL
Hull Material: Fiberglass
YW#: 80347-3195308

Current Price: US$ 17,000

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993...m#.WsgMP9FOmhA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0039.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	167718   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	167719  

Name:	IMG_0041.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	167720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	167721  

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	167722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	167723  

Old 06-04-2018, 17:25   #1104

Boat: never mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Irwin Citation 34

Year: 1993
Length: 34'
Engine/Fuel Type:Single / diesel

Located In: Palmetto, FL
Hull Material: Fiberglass
YW#: 80347-3195308

Current Price: US$ 17,000
Can't be right. Is it missing the engine?
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 17:38   #1105
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaint View Post
Can't be right. Is it missing the engine?

Here is the link. As Sgt Schultz would say: "I know nothink."

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993...m#.WsgMP9FOmhA
Old 07-04-2018, 05:35   #1106

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

It has a Yanmar engine. Owner moved out of state so he is dumping it.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:59   #1107

That model suffered from oil canning in the bow topsides and were reinforced by the factory in the inside--wonder if this one has had that done??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:44   #1108

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
That model suffered from oil canning in the bow topsides and were reinforced by the factory in the inside--wonder if this one has had that done??

Judging by the frame invading the v-berth, I would say yes.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:42   #1109

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Judging by the frame invading the v-berth, I would say yes.
If that's a frame it's way over kill. Looks more like maybe a spillway to a chain locker?
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:15   #1110
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I noticed this and wondered about that.
Looks bulky, blocky, and intrusive, and hard on the ribs if you slept against it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0044.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	167742  

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price