Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 16-01-2017, 15:53   #466

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Low offers were all my budget could do at that time...in fact I did exactly what you said...I found 3 suitable boats and made low offers on all 3 on the same day, telling each seller exactly what I had done. One guy called me up immediately to accept my offer, which was around half his asking price. It was my least favorite of the bunch, but was a good boat, loaded with gear. Sure, it wasn't my dream boat, but it got me and my kids out on the water for some great adventures. When I saw the name of the boat I laughed out loud...."Compromise".

Gosh. What if all 3 offers you made in one day got accepted ? Weird for someone claiming to not have much money...
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 16:13   #467

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Gosh. What if all 3 offers you made in one day got accepted ? Weird for someone claiming to not have much money...
If more than one had been accepted, I would have chosen between the two. It was all done in a friendly manner, with respect and consideration...not in any way mean spirited or competitive. Also, I was sure to offer low enough that it was more likely to have none accepted.

The seller was content with the price, and I spent the weekend at his yacht club in toronto when I purchased the boat before sailing it back to Kingston with my 10 year old son (about 150 miles). I should mention that in the whole time I owned the boat (about 5 years) I never had any serious engine trouble, never needed a mechanic or had any major disaster or cost. However, this could also be because I'm a careful sailor and took good care of the volvo myself, with lots of oil and filter changes.

In the end, I think I paid a fair market value, which I was to find out a few years later when I went to sell. I was able to pass along the low price to the next owner...who went on a big trip last summer and is now selling too...plus trying to get his money back for all the new toys he added:

Pearson 30 sailboat for sale | other | Kingston | Kijiji
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 05:46   #468

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
If more than one had been accepted, I would have chosen between the two.(...)
Errrr ... are you perhaps taking a shortcut here?

The other guy asked you a different question. What if you make three low offers and they all get accepted. In a way, in some legal systems, you are bound from the moment the offers get accepted, NOT from the moment you accept their acceptations ...

Maybe in the anglo saxon world there is no such thing as a 'spoken word agreement' and you can crawl back from spoken commitments without a penalty? (Other than being labeled a moron by two of the three owners. ;-))

?

Is it legally 100% OK to withdraw from an offer once it got accepted, where you live?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 06:18   #469

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

The other guy asked you a different question. What if you make three low offers and they all get accepted. In a way, in some legal systems, you are bound from the moment the offers get accepted, NOT from the moment you accept their acceptations ...

Maybe in the anglo saxon world there is no such thing as a 'spoken word agreement' and you can crawl back from spoken commitments without a penalty? (Other than being labeled a moron by two of the three owners. ;-))

?

Is it legally 100% OK to withdraw from an offer once it got accepted, where you live?

b.
Can't one rescind an offer at any time? I think that a seller has that option up until the title is signed over. At least in the US. Non? Particularly as there are usually several hoops to jump through along the way when making a purchase. Survey(s), sea trial, etc. Along with title, & lien searches...

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 06:38   #470

Boat: Scout 30

Typically, when you make an offer, unless you're dealing with a broker, it's done verbally & the seller accepts or declines immediately. I'm not sure how you can make an offer on 3 boats that are for sale by owner unless every seller said that they needed time to think about it & would get back to you. I would not make multiple offers in writing through a broker because if the seller accepts that would be a legally binding contract.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 07:01   #471

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

?

b.
You make a valid point. And I'm happy to discuss...it was a very exciting time for me.

When I made my 3 offers, I made it clear to each of the sellers that I was making offers on other boats at the same time, and that was part of my offer. I discussed with each seller, in a respectful and friendly way. So if you want to put it into legal terms, my offers were made with the condition that I could choose from any of the accepted offers. These were not conventional offers. Basically, I made up my own rules...but those rules included respect for the sellers. I should also mention that the whole thing took place over the course of a weekend, near the end of June. The point being that most marinas in my area require payment for seasonal dockage in full if your boat is there on July 1st. I was to take possession and pay in full, in cash, on July 1st, with no financing, no survey, no sea trial. In fact, I had not even seen the boats in person. My one condition was to view the boat myself to confirm that it was exactly as advertised.

Was I crazy? Little bit, yes. But what you aren't seeing is the discussion with each seller, getting a feel for the owner as well as the boat. This might be a stretch, or an absolute truth, but I think an old boat can only be as good as its owner.

I'll admit to more than a few butterflies in my stomach when I packed up my family and headed down the 401 to see my new boat. The rented mini-van was packed with my sailing gear, charts, food, water, safety gear...a pretty full load. When I got to Toronto, all that gear had to be hauled from the car to the private club ferry, then off again at the yacht club. All this before I had even seen the boat. My biggest concern was that in person the boat would be trash and I would have to haul all this gear home and restart my boat search. Did I mention I had my wife and 2 small kids in tow for the whole ordeal?

Well, it turned out the boat was a beauty. The owner was paid and I had permission to stay overnight while I prepared to sail home. It was a very hot summer day, and my kids enjoyed the club pool with their mom while I prepared the boat. That night we all enjoyed spectacular Canada Day fireworks, with the CN Tower and the Toronto skyline in the background. In the morning, the wife and my daughter (who needed to get back for her own tall ship sailing adventure) headed home in the car (along with a stack of extra sails and "stuff" not needed on the boat). I started up the diesel, and with my young son (10 years old) headed out into Toronto Harbour in search of diesel fuel.

There was little wind, and the trip home was slow, hot, and according to my son quite boring. But I loved it. New boat, new adventure. We stopped in Cobourg and Belleville, so that each day was not too long. I had hoped to stop at Prinyers Cove for a night at anchor, but by then my son was eager to get home to his dearly missed wifi, so we made a long day of it in the home stretch. And of course there was wind in Kingston, aft of the beam. So we were able to arrive home in true sailing fashion, with spray flying from the bow.

Those were great days for me and my family.

How quickly things can change.
To be honest, soon after cancer hit my family with a double slap that took all the joy out of life. I sailed alone for a while, but the wife asked me to sell, then she left too.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 07:21   #472
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Just why is it that there always seem to be a few contrarians who want to find fault - and when there isn't any - to create it.

Quote:
"I found 3 suitable boats and made low offers on all 3 on the same day, telling each seller exactly what I had done..."
(Emphasis added)

This gentleman's intent was clear from the beginning, was made with fully informed sellers with whom he'd developed a relationship. No one was surprised, and the buyer made clear - unlike so many tire kickers - that he was a serious buyer ready to act immediately.

One seller quickly took him up on it, and he concluded the sale. No one was deceived, no one was surprised, and both the buyer and seller kept their words.

Still - as most know - there are always a few bar stool experts who seem to love to find, take or create issue. Carry on...
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 11:19   #473

Boat: PDQ 36

I'm so sorry that cancer hit your family in that way. I am a cancer survivor (12 years out of treatment) and I have volunteered ever since with other women experiencing cancer. I have lost a few very close friends in that time. We never get over it, but we figure out a way to go on without them. Sometimes sadly, sometimes feeling less complete, but we do go on.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 11:20   #474

Boat: PDQ 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
Just why is it that there always seem to be a few contrarians who want to find fault - and when there isn't any - to create it.

(Emphasis added)

This gentleman's intent was clear from the beginning, was made with fully informed sellers with whom he'd developed a relationship. No one was surprised, and the buyer made clear - unlike so many tire kickers - that he was a serious buyer ready to act immediately.

One seller quickly took him up on it, and he concluded the sale. No one was deceived, no one was surprised, and both the buyer and seller kept their words.

Still - as most know - there are always a few bar stool experts who seem to love to find, take or create issue. Carry on...
Amen to that!

Thankfully, in true Canadian fashion, the OP was willing to expand on the situation, and not take offense.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 13:34   #475

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
You make a valid point. And I'm happy to discuss...it was a very exciting time for me.

When I made my 3 offers, I made it clear to each of the sellers that I was making offers on other boats at the same time, and that was part of my offer. I discussed with each seller, in a respectful and friendly way. So if you want to put it into legal terms, my offers were made with the condition that I could choose from any of the accepted offers. These were not conventional offers. Basically, I made up my own rules...but those rules included respect for the sellers. I should also mention that the whole thing took place over the course of a weekend, near the end of June. The point being that most marinas in my area require payment for seasonal dockage in full if your boat is there on July 1st. I was to take possession and pay in full, in cash, on July 1st, with no financing, no survey, no sea trial. In fact, I had not even seen the boats in person. My one condition was to view the boat myself to confirm that it was exactly as advertised.

Was I crazy? Little bit, yes. But what you aren't seeing is the discussion with each seller, getting a feel for the owner as well as the boat. This might be a stretch, or an absolute truth, but I think an old boat can only be as good as its owner.

I'll admit to more than a few butterflies in my stomach when I packed up my family and headed down the 401 to see my new boat. The rented mini-van was packed with my sailing gear, charts, food, water, safety gear...a pretty full load. When I got to Toronto, all that gear had to be hauled from the car to the private club ferry, then off again at the yacht club. All this before I had even seen the boat. My biggest concern was that in person the boat would be trash and I would have to haul all this gear home and restart my boat search. Did I mention I had my wife and 2 small kids in tow for the whole ordeal?

Well, it turned out the boat was a beauty. The owner was paid and I had permission to stay overnight while I prepared to sail home. It was a very hot summer day, and my kids enjoyed the club pool with their mom while I prepared the boat. That night we all enjoyed spectacular Canada Day fireworks, with the CN Tower and the Toronto skyline in the background. In the morning, the wife and my daughter (who needed to get back for her own tall ship sailing adventure) headed home in the car (along with a stack of extra sails and "stuff" not needed on the boat). I started up the diesel, and with my young son (10 years old) headed out into Toronto Harbour in search of diesel fuel.

There was little wind, and the trip home was slow, hot, and according to my son quite boring. But I loved it. New boat, new adventure. We stopped in Cobourg and Belleville, so that each day was not too long. I had hoped to stop at Prinyers Cove for a night at anchor, but by then my son was eager to get home to his dearly missed wifi, so we made a long day of it in the home stretch. And of course there was wind in Kingston, aft of the beam. So we were able to arrive home in true sailing fashion, with spray flying from the bow.

Those were great days for me and my family.

How quickly things can change.
To be honest, soon after cancer hit my family with a double slap that took all the joy out of life. I sailed alone for a while, but the wife asked me to sell, then she left too.
I'm very sorry for your loss. I think the way you bought the boat, while atypical, was creative & there was certainly nothing unethical about it. I really hope you get back to the sea. I've always found that it heals in a way that nothing else can.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2017, 13:45   #476

Quote:

When I made my 3 offers, I made it clear to each of the sellers that I was making offers on other boats at the same time, and that was part of my offer. I discussed with each seller, in a respectful and friendly way....
This post has the makings of a good (albeit sad) song. Thanks for posting.
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 18:27   #477

Boat: 2019 TBD

Alberg 22, $5000

https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/boa/5971252825.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0666.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	140019
Old 24-01-2017, 17:50   #478

Boat: 2019 TBD

Santana 22 $8000 lots of new stuff

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/5965520595.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	140077Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0668.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	140078Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	140079
Old 25-01-2017, 06:31   #479

Boat: MacGregor 26S

Sailboat 38' Bruce Roberts Sloop Full Live-a-Board | eBay

relisted at 50% of previous listing.
I would be tempted to 'kick the tires' had I been ready to buy.
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 10:07   #480
SFS

That is an interesting boat. It's a shame there weren't more pictures of the interior.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price