Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 11-01-2017, 17:17   #436

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I understand a grubby engine, but why didn't the owner clean the head before the pic was taken?

I agree with your opinion - I wouldn't take it either.
We should get SteadyHand to start a thread titled: I Wouldn't Take This Boat If You Tried To Give It To Me!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 17:58   #437

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Wow...thats a decent boat for the east coast and Caribbean. And that one looks to be in good shape too. Someone is going to get a bargain.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 18:22   #438

Boat: Sailboat 51'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenatsea View Post
Boats in Mazatlan, he just sailed it here recently. I agree the ad needs updated. He has this thing posted all over the west coast right now.

Picture from this morning. Somewhere I read that the transaction would need to be completed in the US due to the registration and Mexican law???

Just trying to help someone that obviously needs, connecting a seller and a buyer.
Update

WESTSAIL 32,turn key cruiser, epirb, ssb etc OBO

He is now down to $9,999
I did get a chance to talk to him a couple of days ago Real bad luck, lost his engine just out of Ensanada and sailing down wind his roller for the genny locked up as he was hit by a storm.

Anyways, lots of gear for the price it is a Westsail 32 loaded with crusing gear.

Good luck to him finding the right buyer.
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:27   #439

It annoys me a little that he advertises it as a "turn key" cruiser when it's got a burned up motor, ripped Genny, and a potential problem with the Genny furler. Doesn't exactly fit my description of "turn key", ya know?
Old 12-01-2017, 07:00   #440

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Update

WESTSAIL 32,turn key cruiser, epirb, ssb etc OBO

He is now down to $9,999
I did get a chance to talk to him a couple of days ago Real bad luck, lost his engine just out of Ensanada and sailing down wind his roller for the genny locked up as he was hit by a storm.

Anyways, lots of gear for the price it is a Westsail 32 loaded with crusing gear.

Good luck to him finding the right buyer.
Personally speaking, after watching the owner's YT videos, I would not buy a boat from that guy. Seems like a bit of a flake, rambling on with disorganized thinking. Would make me suspicious of all sorts of boat maintenance decisions he might (or might not) have made.

When you buy a boat, it's not what you know about it that will bite you in the ass, it's what you don't know about it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:07   #441

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Wow...thats a decent boat for the east coast and Caribbean. And that one looks to be in good shape too. Someone is going to get a bargain.
Right now the highest bid is eye-poppingly low, but there are six days to go and a lot of interest. I suspect the price will shoot up at the end, as usually happens in eBay auctions that have lots of watchers/bidders.

It's the power of listing something No Reserve, which is almost always better than not. Get interest, people start watching/following/bidding, and by the time bids pass the reasonable reserve threshold, everyone is invested in the auction and the price keeps going up.

Looks like a nice solid well-kept boat. Will be interesting to see what it finally goes for. And the seller is right, it's the perfect Chesapeake Bay/Bahamas/Keys boat.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:23   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Personally speaking, after watching the owner's YT videos, I would not buy a boat from that guy. Seems like a bit of a flake, rambling on with disorganized thinking. Would make me suspicious of all sorts of boat maintenance decisions he might (or might not) have made.

When you buy a boat, it's not what you know about it that will bite you in the ass, it's what you don't know about it.
Agree with your assessments, still a lot of boat/gear for the money.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:25   #443

Boat: a sailing boat

It will go at 10k.

New engine is less than 10k.

New sails and furlers is 5k.

If other systems are sound, you end up with a 25k W32, which would be a deal, NO?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:13   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
It annoys me a little that he advertises it as a "turn key" cruiser when it's got a burned up motor, ripped Genny, and a potential problem with the Genny furler. Doesn't exactly fit my description of "turn key", ya know?
Maybe it was auto corrected...supposed to be TURKEY, not turn key.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:06   #445

To be honest, i'm thinking about buying it myself. Just wish I went on board last week to really check it out when I was down there. I was with in 20 yards of it several times.

I really did not think he would go to less than 10K, at 20K I was thinking I might give him 10 for it...
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36   #446

Quote:
To be honest, i'm thinking about buying it myself. Just wish I went on board last week to really check it out when I was down there. I was with in 20 yards of it several times.

I really did not think he would go to less than 10K, at 20K I was thinking I might give him 10 for it...
You might get it for alot less than that if you bid on eBay. Big ticket items tend not to get real high since so much of it is buying on the owner's word. Not many Westsails here in the states compared to Europe so it's probably not well-known to casual bidders. And the bidding population is diminished by the location - shipping is possible but not probable. If you're really interested, keep an eye on it. Your only real competition is someone who knows what they're looking at and who isn't concerned with a potential repower.
Crazy Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 18:19   #447

Just came across this 1972 Morgan 42 asking $20k on ebay (link below). I really like the layout, and it seems like a solid and simple boat. Good engine. Love the pilot berths...great for kids or a family. A couple drawbacks....6 foot draft is a bit deep, but workable. And its a racer, so for a 42 footer, has the space of a 35 below. Located on the great lakes, so a great place for a newbie to start in a safe environment, and a good launch point to head south to the Caribbean.

1972 Morgan 42 MK II Used

https://www.popyachts.com/racing-sai...ichigan-111937

Looking at the newer engine and the newer electrical panel, this boat has been updated and cared for. And freshwater is a good sign too.

I'm not far from this boat, and it really looks good in the pictures and video...I might have to consider this one for myself (provided no one here flames it). This one really seems like the dream boat of so many newbies on here looking for a solid safe boat to get started on that big adventure.

https://youtu.be/A6wQ5zIBoW4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	139539   Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	139540  

Click image for larger version

Name:	73.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	139541   Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	139542  

Old 12-01-2017, 19:06   #448

Boat: MacGregor 26S

so eBay has number of listings that may incite an eager buyer (me including),
what is a way to handle it?, any suggestions/experiences?

From all the reading that I've done a solid survey emerges as a prerequisite of any boat purchase.
What's good of buying a boat cheap when you'll find later that it leaks, has blisters, soft deck and her state has generally been misrepresented?

eBay buyer's protection won't apply as when you buy a camera and find it doesn't work and can send it back for a refund within 14 days or so.
It may be weeks or months before you'll find what's wrong.
The only way I see it working is when you're close enough to check it out and if positive, have it surveyed. Ebay purchases don't give you an ample time do do all due diligence.
If a deal looks too good it's usually not a good deal..
POP Yachts looks legitimate and states:At POP Yachts, we will always provide you with a TRUE representation of every vessel we market. We encourage all buyers to schedule a survey for an independent analysis. Any offer to purchase is ALWAYS subject to satisfactory survey results.
They have close to 300 boats on eBay (to unload some 'stagnant'(?), listings)
But because of that a good deal is possible, like this one(?):
1986 Pearson 36-2 Used | eBay
From what I see all listings include "or best offer" option, I like openness to bargain.
Added them to my 'favorite' list
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 19:30   #449

Boat: Cascade 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

This here exactly! I generally don't like to talk negative about people but this guy needs a warning label. A year and half ago this guy was on the board asking for advice and shared knowledge on things. Several people gave him basic advice about staying in SoCal and getting to know the boat and such. His response:

yeah: funny thing is im getting warnings to get more seatime. im norwegian. i got my first boat at 8. i sailed thousands and thousands and thousands of hrs commercially and on pleasure craft and been to and fro russia, seattle, ak, norway aboard boats..i kind of wonder how much more seatime these people want me to get..that being said; yes, be prepared but for christ sake at some point get off the computer and GO!

Again I really try not to flame or be negative about things but buyer beware on a boat that was cared for with this kind of attitude.

Here's the link to the thread the above statement came from.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-145775-2.html
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 19:30   #450

Boat: MacGregor 26S

https://www.popyachts.com/
number of boats below $30k threshold
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price