Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2007, 01:48   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Thought about a Multi?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 04:31   #17

Boat: B24
No expert here, but when I lived aboard (Irwin 42) some years ago, a family a couple of docks over had a OI… seems like a very well build boat for what it was designed to do… the lines didn’t appeal to my eye, but the interior accommodations were commodious and the machinery seemed noticeably easier to get at than on my Irwin. It wasn’t the best upwind boat, but I don’t recall them ever having any trouble tacking as long as they had a little room to come about with a reasonable head of steam and on a reach the rascal could dig a serious hole in the water…

Although I think many captains on this forum would find $100K rather limiting, for that much I think I could outfit a boat close to your specs quite nicely and still have some in the bank – so long as one wasn’t too burdened on preconceived notions and didn’t go heavy with the gadgets and techno-gizmos…

Good luck…
Old 13-11-2007, 05:20   #18

Valiant Espirit and Tayana 37 would be worth considering. If you will consider CC boats, the Whitby42 and Brewer are also capable with good accomodations. Pearson 424's can also be had in the price range.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 07:19   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41
I chartered a Morgan 41 in Florida. Wasn't impressed with its sailing characteristics but it was comfortable. This one was a ketch with a center cockpit. We ended up motoring alot. Did well with 15 knots on the beam LOL but what boat doesn't. Have you looked at a Sceptre 36. Rated as one of the top 100 boats. Saw one on yachtworld for $53k. Have a look they are nice boats.
View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com
Its alot lower than your budget but it will be easier to upgrade later on if you find you like sailing.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2007, 08:43   #20

Tspringer, has your research taken you to this site?
http://www.geocities.com/bill_dietri...lGulfstar.html
this comment (among others) hardly inspires confidence:
... Most Gulfstars, if not all, have a ballast made up of a concrete slurry with chunks of lead in it. ...
From Pete on Pura Vida:
Someone who worked at the Gulfstar factory told him that the cement/lead ballast also had large handfuls of asbestos mixed into it !
little boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2007, 14:44   #21
Old Salts

great boat at a great price...in your area...

(from the ad)....

38' Wauquiez Mk II sloop

For those who know, Ted Hood design 4' draft keel and 10' centerboard, stiff and heavy construction Offshore boat, Go anywhere with shallow draft and wonderful upwind performance, beautiful exciting to sail and priced to sell. Very clean, simple and interior is immaculate. Teak overlay on decks was removed for non-skid. New full Batten Main, new wind instruments being installed, electronics. Good offshore cruising or bay boat. This Wauquiez is a GREAT buy.
Old 19-11-2007, 15:18   #22

Little boat.....

I never said a Gulfstar 50 was a Hinckley or Morris in hiding!

But, if properly refit and set up the Gulfstar 50s seem to have a good reputation as a solid blue water boat. I have read about the various keel and blister issues. By this age... most boats will likely have had repairs and I view researching such repairs as key. With any boat of that age a very good survey and close inspection coupled with a good budget for fixing LOTS of stuff is required.

Still, I think that for around $200K total one can end up with a very good boat.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 02:59   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I agree that the Wauquiez looks like a great buy. Wonder why so cheap?
Goto: boats.com - Boat Details - Wauquiez Mk II sloop
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2007, 10:15   #24
Old Salts

It's probably a bare bones boat...doesn't even have a bow roller for anchors... In my opinion the perfect size....the perfect underbody (shoal draft with centerboard)...and the perfect builder (stellar reputation)...and with a great price.....if I was in the market for a live-aboard I would definately spend the time and money to see this one up close....

Gordo, all the best to you and Maggie!!!

Don't know where you find all the time to keep this site thriving, but it's very nice to see....

Bob...
Old 21-11-2007, 11:25   #25

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
I second Camaradarie's suggestion to look at the Pearson 424.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 14:00   #26

Boat: Nassau 34 - Trav'ler
I looked at a Morgan 45 in rochester, NY that really impressed. It is a Nelson Marek design, in very nice condition, fairly new sails, and very well equipped. The broker suggested that 80k would take it away. The cockpit, a bit of a racing layout, looked like it lacked good backrests, but one could figure something out, I'm sure. check it out>

Used Sailboats 40 Feet and Over
Old 24-11-2007, 14:15   #27

You should really spend some time on other folks boats and go sailing a bit to understand the question you are asking.

If you don't want to do that or have the time for that, buy the Wauqueaz and go sailing. The 38 is a good boat that can take you most anywhere. And, you will sell it for what you bought it for.

Don't buy and OI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZgunner View Post
Hello all

As many here know I have been asking questions and following up on answers and most of all learning quite a bit.

I am now in the search process for a boat and would a few suggestions for a boat that will basicaly fit or come close to my listed criteria.

1. Sleep 3 comfortably with 2 seperate rooms
2. sail moderately well in bad weather ( regualr sailing speed isnt a concern because we are in no hurry) but being to move from severe weather is always a bonus
3. 38-46 FT prefered
4. basicaly cockpit controlled or can be refited to match
5. this one is of concern strictly to me- i want to be able to go anywhere i wish, we will be sailing along the coast for a few yrs then I would very much like to cross to see new place and people and especialy food
this point is very important to me
6. Initial boat purchase should be around 100k or less

I will be refitting and installing what I need but the basics need to come with the boat i.e. I want it to be a sound and respected model

Now I am at a loss i had been looking at a Morgan in San Diego its a 41 ft
Is this a good model in general?? I have no problem buying a boat thats a bit older and fixing it up. infact I think I might prefer this

But I am at a complete loss as to narrowing down the specific models then go out to places to look at them.

Can you experts please give me a short list of models ranging from say 1975 to 2003 that would be good for eventualy crossing oceans.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 14:40   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Cruise around the forum a while and read a lot of the "which boat should I buy" threads. There are a lot of them (more than any other). Just off the top of my head if you were like me you should buy a boat like mine. That really says it all. Buy a boat that is right for what you really will do. If None of us are exactly like each other let alone like you. You need something just for you! Get the education you need so you can find it.

Joli is right, get a chance to be on and around as many boats as you can. They all sound great but there is clearly one right for you. If I read your first post correctly there are too many boats that fit your list. You need the time to figure out what you can and want to do and then figure the best way to do it. Buying a wreck of a boat and spending 3 years and a lot of money to fix it works for a very small number of people. It could ruin your life. Saying you like the idea is not the same as actually doing it. Any boat more than 25 years old is a project you need the experience to really know before you can complete them. There might be decent boats 20 years old.

You need a boat almost ready to go so you can deal with the things that were not right when you buy it. It's true for new boats as well as old boats. If it has a list of known projects then the real list is twice as long. Get the smallest boat that works and get going. Leaving the dock is the hardest part.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 12:39   #29

Kelly Peterson 44 , Hardin 45 , Formosa 41.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 13:19   #30

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
You should strongly consider a Valiant 40. There are a number available for under $100,000

A lot of folks have circumnavigated safely on Valiant 40s!
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, model

« Got the Boat! | ICW »