Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2007, 16:06   #31

Boat: Endeavour E40
I would give the ENDEAVOUR a look........ heavy displacement, very comfortable...... I found one from an estate sail, all roller-furling, new 8.0kw generator, radar, new air, custom davits and bow sprit, absolutely loaded.
This is not the fastest boat in the fleet, but in real weather I like this boat!.....
sailing in 20knots of wind is a breeze!
Chartered the MORGAN 41' OI many times in the Carribean, some people criticize them, but very comfy, safe boat like the ENDEAVOURS......
CAN'T BEAT A CENTER COCKPIT!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 16:26   #32

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZgunner View Post
1. Sleep 3 comfortably with 2 seperate rooms
2. sail moderately well in bad weather ( regualr sailing speed isnt a concern because we are in no hurry) but being to move from severe weather is always a bonus
3. 38-46 FT prefered
4. basicaly cockpit controlled or can be refited to match
5. this one is of concern strictly to me- i want to be able to go anywhere i wish, we will be sailing along the coast for a few yrs then I would very much like to cross to see new place and people and especialy food
this point is very important to me
6. Initial boat purchase should be around 100k or less

Can you experts please give me a short list of models ranging from say 1975 to 2003 that would be good for eventualy crossing oceans.
I am no "expert" but these may fit the bill;

1980 Hans Christian 38 $99,900
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=

1983 Corbin 39 $99,950
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale=

1991 Freedom 38' $99,900
YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

1982 Bristol 40 $99,500

1983 Bayfeild 40 $99,000

1981 Passport 40 $99,000

just a few that caught my eye on yachtworld.com
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 17:07   #33

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Do a check on this years "Ha Ha" and you'll find there are a good number of Non-heavyweights, not only doing the Mexico trip but their also doing the puddle jump.
At one time, the "heavyweights" ruled the waters for cruising but boat designs and materials have changed in the last 10 to 20 years and with electronics getting as good as they are, weather faxes, satalite communication, and GPS, were now able to travel safer with a lighter boat then before.
So now, a sail to Hawaii from your area can be done safely in 16 to 20 days where in a heavyweight it might take you 28 to 35 days.. Even though speed is not a factor, The additional time at sea while crossing is a safety factor in itself..
While traveling through the south pacific, the fact of light wind or no wind is more of a concern then heavy wind.
There are a number of heavyweight boats cruising, as ther are lightweight boats.
I myself chose a light weight for cruising, it moves well in light air, very sailable in most all points of weather, Easy to handle, and has a proven track record for dealing with nasty weather and is fast as hell. I'll be the first to say I'm scared of bad weather, but with with the boat I have and the electronics aboard, I can spot bad weather 24 to 48 hours ahead.. That gives me 200 to 400 miles to get out of the area befor it hits...........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 19:46   #34

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
A friend with multiple circumnavigations under her belt recently said to me:

"If you're going to go water sailing">blue water sailing on other than a Valiant, you'd better have a good reason"

Of course, I have one and so I'm biased ;-}

Regards,
Bill
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 20:04   #35

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobola View Post
(from the ad)....

38' Wauquiez Mk II sloopFor those who know, Ted Hood design 4' draft keel and 10' centerboard, stiff and heavy construction Offshore boat, Go anywhere with shallow draft and wonderful upwind performance, beautiful exciting to sail and priced to sell. Very clean, simple and interior is immaculate. Teak overlay on decks was removed for non-skid. New full Batten Main, new wind instruments being installed, electronics. Good offshore cruising or bay boat. This Wauquiez is a GREAT buy.

Pretty sure that this is a boat that I looked at when buying. It was on the short list. It is a good value. The boat was in really good shape as well. The interior was spotless. The problem or benefit was that there was not much cruising gear on the boat. For the price it is at now you could probably have a real nice boat w/ up to date electronics for somewhere between $125K and $150k. I think it hasn't sold b/c not many people on the West Coast know the Waquiez name.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 16:16   #36

Boat: Gulfstar CC ketch, 43', Spirit
Look at a Gulfstar 43 or a Gulfstar 41. Excellent, seakindly boat. My 43' was built in 1977. Perkins 4-108 was replaced along with all new electronics and she's great in bays, coastal cruising, and offshore.

David
salty208@hotmail.com
salty208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 00:13   #37

Boat: Formosa 41 CT Garden Ketch. Wind Rose Hull #282. i am looking for her!
I like the Formosas, but they are the only ones that i have been around.
Formosa 51' is a bit large it takes two people to man the ship well, but one can sail too.
But the Formosa 41' Garden ketch design seem right up your ally. only takes one to sail her, and It slept like 5 comfortably but that fills up all the beds. Including the table bed. and it has a good sized galley.
Not to mention those boats are very pleasing to the eye, and they are best in blue water!
but I think I am a little biased.
Find Wind Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:32   #38

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws
CSY 44

Since no one has mentioned the CSY (Caribbean Sailing Yachts) 44, I will.

These were built in the late 70's and early 80's... about 300 of them built. The company was created to build them for Caribbean Sailing Yacht's charter fleet... because CSY couldn't find a builder to build with the quality that the CSY owner (Jack van Ost) required. (the first few were built by Irwin and were crap).

I know there is one for sail in the Rio Dulce of Guatemala for about $60K and another one in Panama. Both are great places to start cruising from!

In better condition they command up to about $120K. One in primo condition just sold in Australia for about $120K,

There were 4 different 44 models made (a fishing boat, a Pilot House Ketch, a center cockpit 'walk over', and a center cockpit 'walk through'). There were also 2 drafts to chose from 'shoal draft' at about 5' and 'full draft' at about 6.5 feet.

The company went out of business as a boat manufacturer in about 1980 because they couldn't sell them for what it cost to build them, and Jack van Ost refused to skimp on quality.

The CSY Owners have made a website to share information and ideas. They also have some 'for sale' listings there. At least one boat is for charter in the Caribbean (a GREAT way to check out whether the boat is really for you), and there is one 1/11th share for sale in a boat that I think is in the Caribbean.

Welcome to the CSY Owners' Group

It is definitely a better/stronger cruising boat than an Out Island 41 (in my humble opinion), with much more pleasing lines. And the full draft model can easily outsail an OI.

We have a CSY 44 Walkthrough. We are currently in Ecuador, on our way around the world. You can see pictures on our website. And also some of the 'upgrades' that we have done on our boat, to get ready for our adventure.
http://svsoggypaws.com

Good luck on your quest!

Whatever you do... go cruising now! (none of us are getting any younger!)
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, model

« Got the Boat! | ICW »