Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 20:32   #31

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Big boat cruising problems?

I've been hit three (actually more) times in a year while tied to the dock. One of the pleasures of having an end tie in a marina where everyone thinks they know how to short tack out the fairway. Usually minor stuff, but we've had to replace chainplates, stanchions, and repair a hole over the years. Oh yeah, moved marinas. This one isn't as nice, but less repair work.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 21:09   #32

Boat: Hardin, force 50 CC 50'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
I have been whacked into by three sailboats this year; none of them single handed or large.

You have been hit three times in one year? That has to be some kind of record! I have not "whacked" into others either, but don't consider it a boasting point. Also have not been hit, ever. Maybe you should work on your avoidance tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'm with Dockhead ... The size dose not matter as much as knowing your boat and how to handle her! I've run my 50 footer single handed and with a partner sometimes. Good weather or BAD you find how she handles and use her to your advantage. Yes it is fun to come in and rope a pylon and run to catch the second one, just takes practice.
Heck I have been whacked sitting at anchor by a couple on a 38 coming by to look at the boat (ran down my anchor line coming in to close in a stiff blow)! But it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.
Randy
ytquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 21:46   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Remember an old dud, single handing a 51 foot Hudson on the ICW. His anchor got stuck in the muck and he was unable to free it by himself. Another time down in Miami, another sad old guy(probably about 50 years old) was trying to sail a 50+ foot Swan, but the boat got out of his control, rounded up and t boned a sightseeing boat. somehow seeing guys trying to single hand big boats is a sad sight indeed. Kind of like someone living by themselves in a huge mansion. Unfulfilled dreams. Advice is: sailing big boats requires crews. And bigger is not necessarily more comfortable nor safer.
100%. B.S.

This "sad old dud (59 years old)" single hands his 54 foot boat (60 ft with the dinghy and davits) all the time without difficulty. Don't project your own limitations onto other people.

BTW: What's a "dud?"
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 22:29   #34

Boat: Wilf O'Kell 52'

OLD at 50????? Hubby and I in 60s sail a LOA 18m; yacht designed to be handled by me (as the weakest link) and blue water insured for either skipper single handed. Never had a problem. I can't get over the OLD at 50. Oh dear...
Old 16-11-2015, 22:50   #35

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Geez, I'm 63 and singlehand our 40 footer. My wife is 57 and single hands it.

"Dud"??? - Hmmm I guess this is a relative term - one man's viewpoint of a dud is radically different than anothers.

But to the OP question. The areas noted shouldn't give any great inconveniences - As Dockhead noted, there will always be some marina/achipelago that you can't get into no matter how short a keel you have, just make sure you have a good dinghy

Our keel is 2.1 meters and there certainly are some marina we used to visit when we had our old boat (1.85 meters) that we'd like to go back to but can't. That's life - lot's of other marinas out there

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 23:02   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
I have been whacked into by three sailboats this year; none of them single handed or large.

You have been hit three times in one year? That has to be some kind of record! I have not "whacked" into others either, but don't consider it a boasting point. Also have not been hit, ever. Maybe you should work on your avoidance tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Avoidance while tied up to a dock? I'd love to learn that technique, if someone can teach me!

Once in Den Helder, Netherlands - small racing boat with large crew couldn't cope in strong wind, ran into side of me. No damage (I had fenders out on both sides) other than to my dingy's outboard.

Once in Dover - small boat couldn't cope with with strong current - ditto. Scratch and broken outboard fin.

Once in Cowes - family in a Swan 45 screwed up docking approach in strong tide - whack. No damage.

I was tied to docks in all cases. Up here with all the wind and strong current, docking mayhem is pretty common.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 23:05   #37

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Last yacht 39', now a 60' and a 66' pending. Easy to manage really - just think ahead and be prepared to cope with the unusual. I am 67.

Close quarters is mostly knowing your boat.

Some strategic thinking required sometimes- had sail wrap around the prop, torn sails, anchor windlass fail with the 180lb Bruce down, forestay fail and threaten to drop the rig, engine fail etc etc -
Just normal life😃

Probably the most dangerous thing on any boat is rushing. Falling down while moving about in rough weather would be my concern.

Nice to have some company occasionally but extra responsibility for crew is an issue. Lots of inexperienced, foolish, unstable, flawed people out there. Know thyself.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 23:18   #38

Quote:
Remember an old dud, single handing a 51 foot Hudson on the ICW. His anchor got stuck in the muck and he was unable to free it by himself. Another time down in Miami, another sad old guy(probably about 50 years old) was trying to sail a 50+ foot Swan, but the boat got out of his control, rounded up and t boned a sightseeing boat. somehow seeing guys trying to single hand big boats is a sad sight indeed. Kind of like someone living by themselves in a huge mansion. Unfulfilled dreams. Advice is: sailing big boats requires crews. And bigger is not necessarily more comfortable nor safer.
I had a 40 something footer round up and head straight for me, it was fully crewed.

Living by yourself in a huge mansion could also be considered a dream fulfilled. If I was single and rich I'd happily do that. Hmmm a huge mansion on the seafront with a dock out the front for my 60 foot yacht that is setup for solo sounds like a perfect dream to me.

To the OP, personally I don't think draft and air draft should ever be a deciding factor unless your home waters limit you. Anchor further out and carry a rib with a big motor
Old 17-11-2015, 03:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Last yacht 39', now a 60' and a 66' pending. Easy to manage really - just think ahead and be prepared to cope with the unusual. I am 67.

Close quarters is mostly knowing your boat.

Some strategic thinking required sometimes- had sail wrap around the prop, torn sails, anchor windlass fail with the 180lb Bruce down, forestay fail and threaten to drop the rig, engine fail etc etc -
Just normal life😃

Probably the most dangerous thing on any boat is rushing. Falling down while moving about in rough weather would be my concern.

Nice to have some company occasionally but extra responsibility for crew is an issue. Lots of inexperienced, foolish, unstable, flawed people out there. Know thyself.

From our limited experience of sailing for 60 years, if your going long distance cruising you will meet storms at sea and a big boat is almost impossible to manage solo; and the large spaces down below become a real danger.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 04:16   #40

We have a big boat, 6.5' draft.
Sometimes I wish we had roller skates on the bottom of the keel.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 04:26   #41

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
From our limited experience of sailing for 60 years, if your going long distance cruising you will meet storms at sea and a big boat is almost impossible to manage solo; and the large spaces down below become a real danger.

100% agree about big spaces and have resorted to rope lines on few occasions before fitted out. I suppose deck work in heavy weather is strategy, care and taking it easy. Heavier work maybe but more stable platform

stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 05:09   #42
CLOD

Boat: none

Everyone enjoys a size envy thread
Old 17-11-2015, 05:34   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I have a friend considering cruising on a Beneteau 57. West Coast of North America, South Pacific, Carribean, Mediterranean.

How much of a liability will 25 meter mast height and 2.6 meter draft be in these places?
West coast very limited issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I wish.
Right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I don't think raindog and ocean girl want an even taller mast than they have now.
I promise I did not giggle.... (out loud)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
Considering the enormity of the question, I have decided not to answer. Not until the OP's friends invite me to go sailing with them, or at least buy me a beer.
I see a crew of similar sentiments forming Ryon...
***tosses duffel***

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising