Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 15:09   #1276
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I like this explanation as a containment well to minimize staining.... Also the added surface area and chamfered / rolled profile would prevent sheer stressses and act as an expansion profile for the deck around the hot chimney.

Again, the workmanship looks great.
Leaving aside the mulled wine for a moment, I have to concur - minimise staining and expansion issues - like a bellows etc.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 16:29   #1277

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Leaving aside the mulled wine for a moment, I have to concur - minimise staining and expansion issues - like a bellows etc.
I also. concur.

The aluminum around my deisel furnace chimney does not get hot at all. It does, however get stained. A moat would probably solve that.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:15   #1278

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

After you ask the builder and designer please let us know why they have done that. Inquiring minds, you know.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 04:48   #1279

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
After you ask the builder and designer please let us know why they have done that. Inquiring minds, you know.
Hi DeepFrz
I have an answer from KM. The recess is for holding water to cool the chimney. It is apparently not a necessity, but it provides additional security.

Nice they are taking extra care .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 05:00   #1280

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It's called a Charlie noble, the recess is to hold water to prevent heat transfer to the surrounding deck structure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=char...vmOt3FsK4yLrM:
Impressive knowledge; wow!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 06:09   #1281
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi DeepFrz
I have an answer from KM. The recess is for holding water to cool the chimney. It is apparently not a necessity, but it provides additional security.

Nice they are taking extra care .

SWL
Thank you for clarifying this.
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 10:01   #1282

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The carpentry is progressing well. Each time we visit it is like playing "Spot the Difference" . Little and big new additions are popping up all over the place.

Part of the timber on the pilothouse floor and steps was revealed briefly, giving us a tantalising glimpse as to how the entire Bubinga floor will look. The steps at the front are removable to give access to the front of the engine, and in addition most of the floor is removable, which will enable the engine to be lifted if needed (there are lifting points in the pilothouse ceiling). There is easily accessible storage under the rear steps:

50mm stainless steels poles were temporarily fitted to check for size before horizontal cross pieces are added. There is a fifth floor to ceiling pole next to the Refleks heater. Another handrail extends along the entire length of the galley bench, plus there are additional ones both on the wall of the owners' cabin and the foot of the bed, plus in the toilet and shower:

Old 27-06-2017, 10:19   #1283

Boat: Oyster 66

It's been great following this. I just looked back at the first post, it is now two years since you started the process. How have you felt about the time it took. Has it been frustrating or is it completely what you expected and how much have you enjoyed all the decision making?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 11:00   #1284

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
It's been great following this. I just looked back at the first post, it is now two years since you started the process. How have you felt about the time it took. Has it been frustrating or is it completely what you expected and how much have you enjoyed all the decision making?
Hi Poiu
Glad you have enjoyed the thread . It makes posting worthwhile when I get feedback like this.

The process was actually started thirty odd years ago when we purchased our first boat . We decided on the builder two three years ago when we visited several yards, including KM's on open day.

Time frame has been roughly what was expected. It is a huge project specifying a custom boat from scratch with only a hull shape to start with. Everything from aluminium thickness to bulkhead positions to every bilge pump and every tiny cupboard latch had to be chosen. Some of the planning has been sheer pleasure, some of decisions have been a little difficult at times for me personally as there are often vastly different options, each with their own pluses that appeal and corresponding minuses, including cost. We have agonised over some of the decisions.

Anyone undertaking a project of this kind needs to be aware that at times this is a full time task, particularly if you have not hired a supervisor to oversee the build.

The long wait had been easy to deal deal with for two reasons: primarily we only sold our own yacht a couple of months ago, so we have not been boatless for long. In addition, the unfolding of the build has been a sheer pleasure (particularly the metal work and carpentry, both which are works of art).

The difficult bits have been misunderstandings regarding our requirements. Despite the specifications being extended to a few dozen pages and about 70 photos/diagrams being included to clarify things, there is still room for interpretation.

Overall, I just feel incredibly lucky that we have been able to commission this build.

SWL

PS I forgot to add that it is extremely enjoyable seeing the design come to life. There have been no bad surprises, the "feeling" of the interior will be exactly as dreamed about and the extended pilothouse in my eyes looks even better in the flesh than it did in the sketches I doodled (see earlier posts in this thread). Even the solar arch (sometimes an ugly addition) looks good to my eyes. Seeing the build unfold has been one of the best bits so far. Cracking that bottle of champagne at the launch will be another .

Old 27-06-2017, 16:39   #1285

Quote:
Hi Poiu
Glad you have enjoyed the thread . It makes posting worthwhile when I get feedback like this.

The process was actually started thirty odd years ago when we purchased our first boat . We decided on the builder two three years ago when we visited several yards, including KM's on open day.

Time frame has been roughly what was expected. It is a huge project specifying a custom boat from scratch with only a hull shape to start with. Everything from aluminium thickness to bulkhead positions to every bilge pump and every tiny cupboard latch had to be chosen. Some of the planning has been sheer pleasure, some of decisions have been a little difficult at times for me personally as there are often vastly different options, each with their own pluses that appeal and corresponding minuses, including cost. We have agonised over some of the decisions.

Anyone undertaking a project of this kind needs to be aware that at times this is a full time task, particularly if you have not hired a supervisor to oversee the build.

The long wait had been easy to deal deal with for two reasons: primarily we only sold our own yacht a couple of months ago, so we have not been boatless for long. In addition, the unfolding of the build has been a sheer pleasure (particularly the metal work and carpentry, both which are works of art) and we are enjoying life in the Netherlands tremendously. I have never before lived in Europe and this is a picture perfect little village.

The difficult bits have been misunderstandings regarding our requirements. Despite the specifications being extended to a few dozen pages and about 70 photos/diagrams being included to clarify things, there is still room for interpretation.

Overall, I just feel incredibly lucky that we have been able to commission this build.

SWL

PS I forgot to add that it is extremely enjoyable seeing the design come to life. There have been no bad surprises, the "feeling" of the interior will be exactly as dreamed about and the extended pilothouse in my eyes looks even better in the flesh than it did in the sketches I doodled (see earlier posts in this thread). Even the solar arch (usually an ugly addition) looks good to my eyes. Seeing the build unfold has been one of the best bits so far. Cracking that bottle of champagne at the launch will be another .
Congratulations for pulling it off so far in a positive spirit. I suppose it will be the best part of four years from looking for the builder to completing the snagging. Quite an epic project to go through. No wonder custom yachts often have project managers supervising the build. Can you guess how many hours have you put into it?
Old 28-06-2017, 00:34   #1286

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
Congratulations for pulling it off so far in a positive spirit. I suppose it will be the best part of four years from looking for the builder to completing the snagging. Quite an epic project to go through. No wonder custom yachts often have project managers supervising the build. Can you guess how many hours have you put into it?
Yes, it will end up being close to four years. In addition, we started with some firm ideas regarding what we wanted and we could present a list several pages long to KM right at the start. These had been thought about literally for years. We had been dreaming of a new 40-45 footer though, so suddenly fitting in everything into a 49 footer was a breeze, even leaving about 10 feet at each end essentially empty. That was the easy part .

Hours wise, it has been a few thousand. For example, when the first full 3D model of the interior was presented, it took 8 days working more than 12 hours a day to peel back every layer and check what was being proposed including exact materials used, and then to submit emails with diagrams for each change required, trying to make it as clear as possible so only one alteration would be needed. It was a massive task! This is, however, essential if you don't want to encounter disappointment that some areas turn out not as expected. Changes at a late stage are extremely costly for the client and can be frustrating for the builder. We have tried to avoid these completely. The project would have been a lot more stressful without all the time spent on planning before build commenced.

So much fun seeing it come to life though . Yesterday stainless steel door handles were fitted that we had picked before the final contract was signed in December 2015. It is such a thrill seeing even minor details like this in the flesh for the first time, let alone the big stuff. Check out the alignment of the screw heads . Young Rinaldo who is doing a big chunk of the Bubinga work is a master craftsman:

Old 28-06-2017, 01:13   #1287
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I would not have the patience to do what you have done. I know me very well. My style is to take an existing boat and spend 3 months putting in the systems I wanted.

That aside, it has been a fascinating journey with you following this build. The Dutch workmanship is superb and the results stand out. When you do the shakedown, it will require lots of video footage. I will be watching what issues arise from it, although as the hull and basics are a tried and tested design, I dont expect structural problems at all.

Soon..........
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 13:56   #1288

Quote:
Yes, it will end up being close to four years. In addition, we started with some firm ideas regarding what we wanted and we could present a list several pages long to KM right at the start. These had been thought about literally for years. We had been dreaming of a new 40-45 footer though, so suddenly fitting in everything into a 49 footer was a breeze, even leaving about 10 feet at each end essentially empty. That was the easy part .

Hours wise, it has been a few thousand. For example, when the first full 3D model of the interior was presented, it took 8 days working more than 12 hours a day to peel back every layer and check what was being proposed including exact materials used, and then to submit emails with diagrams for each change required, trying to make it as clear as possible so only one alteration would be needed. It was a massive task! This is, however, essential if you don't want to encounter disappointment that some areas turn out not as expected. Changes at a late stage are extremely costly for the client and can be frustrating for the builder. We have tried to avoid these completely. The project would have been a lot more stressful without all the time spent on planning before build commenced.

So much fun seeing it come to life though . Yesterday stainless steel door handles were fitted that we had picked before the final contract was signed in December 2015. It is such a thrill seeing even minor details like this in the flesh for the first time, let alone the big stuff. Check out the alignment of the screw heads . Young Rinaldo who is doing a big chunk of the Bubinga work is a master craftsman:
Wow, that's some time commitment. It's a job.

I'm sure you are wise to plan to not make changes. It is a known thing to avoid it in building construction and no doubt with boats too. Changes are costly to implement and often very profitable for the builder. There is no competition after all.

Good to see all that craftsmanship. It will give you many years of pleasure.
Old 29-06-2017, 10:20   #1289

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Timber work is progressing daily.

The trim (solid Bubinga, as is the rest of the woodwork) is just being fitted on the edge of the pilothouse settees. This is a very traditional look and in my opinion the curves are essential to minimise bruising. This is one of the details that was included in the specifications as a photograph to help clarify what was wanted. One example where a picture tells a thousand words:

The fitting of cupboard and drawer fronts also commenced today. I love the variation in grain. The timber is so silken to touch that it is hard to keep my hands off it . This is the central galley bench, which will have dual square sinks above the cupboard doors. The countertop (with a curved overhang at one end that had been partially cut off in the photo) will be stainless steel with a box profile to create a "spill proof" zone. Again, photos were included in the specifications of a similar benchtop. Items like this take time to describe accurately:

Old 29-06-2017, 14:07   #1290

This has been a most informative thread right from the beginning. I know your specifications to the builders must be like a bible and you have mentioned some of the key things you were wanting but I'd be quite keen to know more about the various smaller details you specified and why as I think they might be quite educational too. Anyway, congrats on the build and I'm sure you can't wait for the splash.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote