Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 12:42   #1

Boat: Shannon 38 ketch
Best used outboard engine for dinghy

Which outboard engines do people like for their dinghies? The last two I've owned were ancient Mercury two-strokes and I haven't kept up with outboards for years.
DarwinHolmstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 14:20   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Best used outboard engine for dinghy

You don't say what size engine you need. Without knowing I'll throw out that I like the Yamaha 2 strokes. They are kind of noisy but light for their HP rating and reliable.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 14:23   #3

Tohatsu 9.8 two stroke. 24kg.
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 15:18   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

For old 2 strokes Yamaha, Suzuki’s or Johnson’s. if looking new 4 stroke Suzuki or Yamaha.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 15:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
You don't say what size engine you need. Without knowing I'll throw out that I like the Yamaha 2 strokes. They are kind of noisy but light for their HP rating and reliable.
When I had small fishing boats I never made the great leap into four-stroke engines because I grew up with two-strokes and know how to always make them run. Noisy and stinky, but the cockroaches of internal combustion--total loss electrics and oiling, magneto ignition, I could practically overhaul one with a Leatherman.

I'm thinking of picking up a dinghy in the 9-10 ft range. I plan to anchor whenever possible, so I might put some miles on my dinghy and probably want something at least 7-10 horsepower. I've found a lot of articles rating dinghies and see good recommendations for inflatables from companies like Newport, but I'm not finding much info on outboards to power them. I'm noticing a lot of Tohatsu engines in various videos, and there was a Tohatsu on the 24ft Pearson I used for one of my ASA tests, but that one was in poor repair and wasn't a good example.
Old 07-09-2020, 15:44   #6

Used, a Yamaha 2 stroke if you can. 10 hp for 9 ft, 15 hp for 10+ foot.
Older Mercs are good.
Johnson/Evinrude 9.9 are plentiful so parts are easy. But most are pretty old.

Every once in a while an old engine that was hardly used and looks like new comes out of grandpas's garage on CL.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 16:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Older Mercs are good.

Every once in a while an old engine that was hardly used and looks like new comes out of grandpas's garage on CL.
I've had a lot of Yamaha two-stroke motorcycles and scooters over the years and loved them. I think I'll shop around for a good 10hp Yamaha two-stroke, or a good 15 if I can find it. If I get the sailboat I just made an offer on I'll be hanging the dinghy from davits in the back and I imagine lighter will be better for hoisting the engine into the cockpit and mounting it on the stern rail, making a two-stroke even more appealing.
Old 07-09-2020, 16:11   #8

Did a bit of searching and found a used 8hp Yamaha two-stroke on Craigslist. It weighs 52 pounds vs. the 110 pounds of a new 15hp Yamaha 4-stroke. Makes hoisting it up to the deck alone seem more doable.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:24   #9

I had the little 2 stroke Tohatsu, Simple, no gearbox and light to handle. Never missed a beat in all the years I owned it.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinHolmstrom View Post
Did a bit of searching and found a used 8hp Yamaha two-stroke on Craigslist. It weighs 52 pounds vs. the 110 pounds of a new 15hp Yamaha 4-stroke. Makes hoisting it up to the deck alone seem more doable.
The 10 and the 15 are the same weight.
If it's just you the 8 hp may do it for planing. For 2, not sure depends on the boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:29   #11

Quote:
The 10 and the 15 are the same weight.
If it's just you the 8 hp may do it for planing. For 2, not sure depends on the boat.
Given how important this will be for day-to-day life, I'll probably look for a 10hp. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:55   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Older Mercs are good.

Re: Johnson/ OMC 9.9. A good engine if they do not have high hours. The upper main bearing tends to go at which point deep six the engine.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 16:51   #13

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinHolmstrom View Post
If you are in Georgia/SC area, I should have a Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke 15HP at a great shape with an ok RIB AB 340 double fiberglass floor, hypalon tubes. Should be available around November in Savannah, GA.

Downgrading to a smaller dinghy, although surprisingly enough a new 8HP Yamaha 4 stroke weights almost the same.

PM if interested
Old 08-09-2020, 16:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
If you are in Georgia/SC area, I should have a Yamaha Enduro 2 stroke 15HP at a great shape with an ok RIB AB 340 double fiberglass floor, hypalon tubes. Should be available around November in Savannah, GA.

Downgrading to a smaller dinghy, although surprisingly enough a new 8HP Yamaha 4 stroke weights almost the same.

PM if interested
Thank you, but I won't be down your way for about 14 months, if all goes more or less according to plan.
Old 08-09-2020, 20:11   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Darwin, just a few bits and odds of info for you since the outboard works has changed so much. 2 strokes are simpler with no one to argue that. Environmental agencies are trying to make them disappear. Some places in America have completely outlawed them. For example Lake Tahoe. It is even hard to get a new one in Sea of Cortez. I tried. You can still get them in the Bahamas afaik.

Fuel injected engines are now the thing. Gets rid of the carb bowl. I love my 10 hp efi Suzuki. It has a pull start and electric. Smaller than 10 hp wearing the label for zouks you revert back to carb. As you know the 4 strokes are much heavier than the 2’s. But they are much better at mpg than a 2 banger. Plus you don’t have to add premix to them.

Btw. Look at getting a used 8 foot Portabote. They are tough as hell. Plastic and collapsable. Easy to assemble. Ride very well with rowing and plane well with 6-10 hp. Won’t puncture, won’t rot like a tubed dingy, carry a ton of stuff, not tipsy, and can take hard beach landings that could really be mentally challenging in many tubed Dingys. They ain’t pretty but I think they are incredible bits of kit.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, engine, outboard